Charging port Egolf 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello friends.
I bought e-golf at an auction in Manheim in the US. In the photo under the hood, I see a 3.6 kW / h charging unit. But in my additional options it is indicated that there is a quick charge port 50 kWh. But information in the Internet says that such ports were only in Europe. In US, the quick port was only with a 7.2 kW / hour charging port. Help me figure out if there is a quick charge port or not. The car is on the road in the sea.

Welcome! Now that you drive an EV it is a good time to learn some terminology. Charge rate is expressed in kW (kilowatts) and energy in kWh (kilowatt-hours). If your 2015 USA e-Golf has DCFC capability, you will know by looking at the charging inlet. If it has a CCS inlet, that means the on board charger can support up to 30 amps at 240 V or 7.2 kW charge rate. Look online for a picture of a CCS vehicle inlet. If it does not have a CCS inlet, then I believe the on board charger can support a maximum of 3.6 kW (15 amps at 240 V). The only way to be sure is to look at your vehicle’s charge inlet.

As f1geek says, the only way to tell is to look at the charging port once your car arrives.

I'm not sure about the 2015 Limited edition that you purchased, but for the 2016 SE the standard charger on those models was a 3.6kW without DC fast charging, and a 7.2 kW charger with DC fast charging was offered as an option for the car.

cctop said:
As f1geek says, the only way to tell is to look at the charging port once your car arrives.

I'm assuming you purchased a U.S.-model 2015 SE. The standard charger on those models was a 3.6kW without DC fast charging. But a 7.2 kW charger with DC fast charging was offered as an option for the car.

All U.S. e-Golfs aside from the 2015 SE and the 2016 SE are capable of DC fast charging.

Yes, I bought 2015 SE.
So I can supose that it's mistake in discription, and car has only 3.6 kW.
I try to attach photo.
https://imgur.com/a/2yvs7UR
So 3.6kW in any case can't have Combo port?

cctop said:

I'm not sure about the 2015 Limited edition that you purchased, but for the 2016 SE the standard charger on those models was a 3.6kW without DC fast charging, and a 7.2 kW charger with DC fast charging was offered as an option for the car.

https://imgur.com/a/RVy0UET
Also add the description of car on Manheim.

I edited my post because I've forgotten whether the 2015 Limited edition came with a 3.6kW charger or a 7.2kW. Google seems to tell me that it was a 7.2kW charger but that's not what my faulty memory is telling me.

In any event, you need to look at the charging port itself to tell if it's capable of DC fast charging. You can't tell from looking under the hood.

See this thread:

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1039

cctop said:
I edited my post because I've forgotten whether the 2015 Limited edition came with a 3.6kW charger or a 7.2kW. Google seems to tell me that it was a 7.2kW charger but that's not what my faulty memory is telling me.

In any event, you need to look at the charging port itself to tell if it's capable of DC fast charging. You can't tell from looking under the hood.

See this thread:

https://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1039

I saw this thread and i found this forum by that thread.
I mean 7.2kW charger looks differently under the hood. Like on photo:
volkswagen_e-golf_8.jpeg

The charging unit is ribbed. I have a flat one.

The best way to know is to look at the charge port. It is possible VW uses more than one supplier for the on board charger and ribbed / not ribbed is a moot point, but I do not know this level of detail about the car subcomponents. If you know the car VIN, you can probably call VW to determine the charging capability.

In the USA, in 2015, both the LE and SEL models were with 7.2 kWh chargers on board and fast charger features. In 2016, VW offered a bare bones stripped SE model with a 3.6 kWh charger on board. As well as with the optional $1600 DC fast charger and 7.2 kWh charger. The 2016 SEL came with 7.2 kWh charger and quick charger port, standard.

JoulesThief said:
In the USA, in 2015, both the LE and SEL models were with 7.2 kWh chargers on board and fast charger features. In 2016, VW offered a bare bones stripped SE model with a 3.6 kWh charger on board. As well as with the optional $1600 DC fast charger and 7.2 kWh charger. The 2016 SEL came with 7.2 kWh charger and quick charger port, standard.

2015 and 2016 means model year or manufactured year?
I bought 2016 model year, but car manufactured 06/15.
I has VIN. but VW dealer in my country won't decode it without car.

Are you located in Germany?

Is the car a USA car?

You might try to call VW corporate and try to get it to help. Dealers are not always super helpful, and some are more helpful than others.

MrCerebrosus said:
JoulesThief said:

2015 and 2016 means model year or manufactured year?
I bought 2016 model year, but car manufactured 06/15.
I has VIN. but VW dealer in my country won't decode it without car.

Model year. You bought an early production 2016 model, built in June of 2015. I bought a late production year 2015 SEL built in May of 2015. Usually, for VW, May is the last month of production for any year model. Usually.

f1geek said:
Are you located in Germany?

Is the car a USA car?

You might try to call VW corporate and try to get it to help. Dealers are not always super helpful, and some are more helpful than others.

No, from Ukraine. Car is US. I recived decoding of my VIN and I has only ES9 option that means only 3.6kW, without quick port. So its mistake in description, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update. I am guessing the standard plug in Ukraine is the Type 2. If so, you will need to purchase a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter for AC charging. I also doubt the included trickle cable will work at 220-230 V, which I am guessing is Ukraine’s standard household voltage.

Best of luck! Enjoy!

f1geek said:
Thanks for the update. I am guessing the standard plug in Ukraine is the Type 2. If so, you will need to purchase a Type 1 to Type 2 adapter for AC charging. I also doubt the included trickle cable will work at 220-230 V, which I am guessing is Ukraine’s standard household voltage.

Best of luck! Enjoy!

My car without charge cable, but it's not a problem. We have different charger in sale, type1/type2 16A/32A. So I will buy Type 1 16A charger.
May be you know is it possible to change charge unit in car from 3.6kW to 7.2kW?
Sometimes I need to travel about 250km and its not good idea to stop for charge about 3-4 hours.

Try this web site to decode the VIN. The one shown is the leased car that we returned. It shows the model year, but got the trim wrong. It was actually a LE (Limited Edition) trim.

https://www.faxvin.com/vin-decoder/result?vin=WVWKP7AU5FW907055

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/Decoder
NHTSA correctly shows Limited Edition trim for the VIN in the link above.

As others stated, for US market e-Golf cars, only the base 2016 SE had the 3.6kW on-board charger and J1772 vehicle inlet without CCS fast charge. All other model years and trims have the 7.2kW on-board charger and CCS inlet.

Here is one more way to check which on board charger you have: Look at the sticker on side of the on board charger. On my car, there is a sticker that says " OBC 7200 W". This sticker confirms that my car has a 7200 Watt, or 7.2 kW on board charger. When you get your vehicle, you can pop the hood and look the for sticker on the OBC. Best!

f1geek said:
Here is one more way to check which on board charger you have: Look at the sticker on side of the on board charger. On my car, there is a sticker that says " OBC 7200 W". This sticker confirms that my car has a 7200 Watt, or 7.2 kW on board charger. When you get your vehicle, you can pop the hood and look the for sticker on the OBC. Best!

Thank you, in any case i can know it when car arrive ( about 16 April ).
I have the last hope that car has combo, because 3.6kW a little bit boring and limit me to travel.

Back