suspension rattle from rear - what is it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eGolfJoe

My 2019 has a rattle that is coming from the rear of the car (sounds like it anyways). At speed I can't hear it as the road noise drowns it out, but around parking lots it's decently loud. I've tried to notice if it's worse on turns (nope), straight ahead (yes) and what type of road irregularity causes it (doesn't have to be very bumpy).

I rotated the tires a few weeks ago and looked around, hoping to see where it was coming from but nothing looks out of place or loose. It kind of sounds like it's a loose sway bar but ours is integral with the rear beam?

Anyone else have this rattle and had it fixed? If so, where's it coming from?

Thanks,

I notice something similar to what you're describing on both my 2016 and my wife's 2019. I think it's possibly the rubber in the sway bar bushings or some other bushing in the rear suspension. I had intended to go spray some silicone lubricant on the bushings to see if it goes away but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I had the same problem with my 2019 e-golf. It completely went away when I had my tires rotated for the first time (at 5,000 miles). Never figured out what it was, but it's gone now.

Peterv said:
I had the same problem with my 2019 e-golf. It completely went away when I had my tires rotated for the first time (at 5,000 miles). Never figured out what it was, but it's gone now.

How long has it been since the rattle went away?

I'm pretty sure it's the rear sway bar end links. When the weather got really hot a few weeks ago, the rattle was greatly diminished. Now it's back with vengence. I'm just too lazy to take the time off work to drop it off at the dealer.

I had the same problem with my 2019. The dealer said it was a known problem and they adjusted and/or lubed it. It didn’t fix the problem but before I got around to scheduling another service appointment the noise went away.

A friend has a Golf wagon that had a rattle in the RR. I found a nice sized stone caught above the control arm. I don't know how it got in there, but there was no way it was going to come out of there on it's own. Removing it took care of his noise.

My dealer is replacing the rear sway bar links. They finally heard the noise, put 'chassis ears' on the car to figure out what was rattling, and determined the links were the problem.

Next week we'll know for sure after they replace them.

BTW, the replaced my right A-pillar cover and that fixed the rattle there.

Back