1st Time EV Owner - Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarDav

Hi,
I'm eagerly awaiting my 1st EV, a 2020 e-Golf, Tech & Driver Assist Package. Picking it up in a few weeks. A few questions:

Charging - I know I shouldn't drain the battery, but I likely won't drive for more than 40 km / 25 miles a day. So is it better to drive for say 4 days and then charge overnight, or should I keep the battery topped up?

Charging station - Is there any significant difference between the types of L2 chargers on the market?

Accessories - I'm getting the VW floor mats & wheel locks, but no other goodies. What else, if anything, should I consider? From VW, or generic? I'm in Victoria, BC, Canada, where it doesn't get too hot or cold.

Any other tips for a Newbie?

Dave

Do not keep the battery at 100% State of Charge (SoC) or in the "red zone" (less than ~12% SoC). The pack will last much longer if you keep it in the 20% to 80% range, or even 30% to 70% range. Lithium ion batteries do not like being fully charged or fully discharged. Be aware the "100%" you see on the e-Golf dashboard is not really 100% as VW builds in a buffer on the top and bottom of the pack voltages, but still, you will see improved longevity of you keep away from the upper and lower limits of the pack charge state. In short, charge to 80%, drive it for several days down to ~20% or whatever range makes you feel comfortable, and then charge overnight back to 80% SoC. RInse and repeat.

Not sure what differences you are seeking. Reliability? Functionality? Please be more specific. Also, your car will come with a L1 charging station (also known as a granny lead, granny cable, trickle charging cable) that may suit your needs just fine considering you don't drive that much. I have a dumb Clipper Creek HCS-40P that has been very reliable but has no WiFi, no way to track energy use, etc. There are lots of L2 options.

I purchased the spare tire, jack, tire iron, etc. as I don't like being without a spare. There is a link on this forum with that discussion. I also have a fitted sun shield which I really like (forgot the vendor). If you want to get really geeky, I recommend OBDEleven to tap into the e-Golf computer and get more detailed info about battery temperature, charging amps, pack voltage, etc.

Best of luck!

For ease of use, it would be sufficient to set the Max Charge Level to 80% and charge it back to that every day. Anything more rigorous is not worth the trouble. VW already has a significant buffer at the top of the battery, so 80% is already very conservative.

Agreed on the charging recommendations above. I do 80% max on the timer, can always hit the full charge button in the charger port area if I need 100%.

If you enjoy music I highly recommend the Helix audio upgrade, transforms the stock system. Longest eGolf specific thread is probably here: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9262039-Helix-Subwoofer-and-DSP-install-000051419B
but there are also plenty of Golf threads and videos out there covering it. Install is easy if you're comfortable taking trim pieces off, otherwise dealers or any competent stereo shop could install in a couple hours.

L2 chargers, if you like stats you can get smart ones like ChargePoint, JuiceBox, OpenEVSE, otherwise just go on reviews and price. I've been driving EVs for 4 years now with just L1 charging at home, YMMV.

I've been driving EV's for 6 years, and rarely drive more than 25 miles/day. I've been using L1 charging the entire time, and taking advantage of time-of-use electricity plans.

If you can avoid getting the floor mats, I would, and put the money toward the TuxMat, which has the best coverage. Note that other VW Golf mats will NOT work in the e-Golf because the battery affects the floor's shape at the base of the front seats.

Thanks folks, really helpful stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting the car, still 2 weeks away, I'm waiting till I lose my company car when I retire at the end of the month.

Actually I slightly misrepresented myself - this will be my first manufactured EV, but I did home-build one that I completed in 1999. It was an old Toyota pickup that I ripped apart, 9" DC motor, 20 x 6 volt golf-cart lead-acid batteries, solid state controller (oooooh). No regen of course. 55 mile range when the batteries were new, 40 miles after running it for 3 years. It was a lot of fun to build and drive.

Since then I've never been able to justify an EV or hybrid because of the nature of my work, but the Golf will just be for running around town etc. I liked the value, the drive and interior the best of all the competitive EVs.

Dave

Picked up the car on Monday, have driven about 250 km (150 mi), 1 overnight charge. Still figuring out all the bells & whistles. Absolutely love it.

DB

BarDav said:
Thanks folks, really helpful stuff. I'm really looking forward to getting the car, still 2 weeks away, I'm waiting till I lose my company car when I retire at the end of the month.

Actually I slightly misrepresented myself - this will be my first manufactured EV, but I did home-build one that I completed in 1999. It was an old Toyota pickup that I ripped apart, 9" DC motor, 20 x 6 volt golf-cart lead-acid batteries, solid state controller (oooooh). No regen of course. 55 mile range when the batteries were new, 40 miles after running it for 3 years. It was a lot of fun to build and drive.

Since then I've never been able to justify an EV or hybrid because of the nature of my work, but the Golf will just be for running around town etc. I liked the value, the drive and interior the best of all the competitive EVs.

Dave

My dad and I did something similar with a 1970 datsun pickup. Although we used a forklift hydraulic motor from the junkyard and a set of army surplus ni-cads. Much less range than your lead acid's, but still a lot of fun :).

I like my E-Golf way better... Haha!

Back