Battery memory?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A recent visit to my VW service department brought a warning from the mechanic that it isn’t good for the battery to use the level 1 (110v) charger constantly. He said the battery “adjusts” to the slow charge and that it would be better to use a variety of chargers.
I have been able to avoid purchasing a level 2 charger because I don’t often take longer trips but will consider it if it would extend the life of the car.
I can’t find any mention of this issue in the manual and haven’t come across it in forums.
Has anyone else been told the same thing?

The e-Golf manual even says that low power charging is better for longevity than high power charging. The slower you charge the cells (C rate), the less heat is generated and that means a longer life for the cells. The dealer is clueless. Did he try to sell you a L2 charging station?

How did the mechanic even know you only charge at 120 V?

Your battery pack will be fine charging at 120 V all the time.

Thanks for the reassurance. I doubt the mechanics advice too.
I am also wondering how he guessed that I usually use the level 1 charger. At this dealership the mechanics are shielded from the public by the service managers so I didn’t talk to him directly. He was checking into another issue and would have been looking for trouble codes in memory. He claimed that the direction was from VW.
Batteries are mysterious objects to most of us and seem to gather strong and often opposing opinions. I’ve been using cordless tools a long time and have been told many different things about how to treat them over the years.

Back