Full charge range issue - send help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceBox

I have had my e golf for over one year. It usually charges up to 160+ (172 was the highest ever) on a level 2 charger. That’s where I charge it at least 90% of the time.

Recently I charged it at a level 3 Electrify America spot. It only went to 142. I understand that level 3 will not go up to the max.

Here’s the issue. The next time I went to a level 2 charger it only went to 142 miles. Then the next time I used the level 3 Electrify America spot again and it also went to exactly 142 miles. I just charged it again at my level 2 charger and yet again it only went to 142 miles. Any idea what might be going on?

You are confusing a few things here.
1. When you say 160 or 172 you are referring to the range indication, known as the GOM or Guess-O-Meter. The GOM number is only a guess based on your recent driving history. If you turn on the heat or A/C, the GOM number drops. If you drive at 75 mph, the GOM drops. If you drive at 20 mph, the GOM increases.
2. It is rude if someone is waiting to use the DCFC to charge your car to 100%, but you can certainly do it. It is a big waste of time, too, since the last 10% will charge pretty slowly. But, you can charge to 100% using a DCFC, so you are mistaken about this aspect of DCFC.
3. The GOM does not care if you charge via DCFC or L2 or L1. While the way you charge may impact your range (charging at DCFC will heat up the battery pack and may lead to increased pack resistance, thus you can't get as much energy out of the pack as you would if you charged slowly and did not heat up the pack), it is very minor compared to the way you drive and operate the car.
4. As the battery pack ages, it will degrade. Comparing the e-Golf (of Leaf, another war with no active battery thermal management) to a car with active thermal management (Tesla, Bolt EV, Kona, e-Tron, etc.), the e-golf pack will lose usable capacity at a faster rate because lithium ion batteries get damaged when they are not kept in the "goldilocks" temperature band. A drop in GOM range over long periods of time, like a year or two, can be attributed to pack degradation. How much of the GOM range loss due to degradation is not easily ascertained, but if you keep a log of usable battery capacity you might be able to figure it out.
5, In cold weather, lithium ion batteries are able to provide less energy than they can in warm weather, so you will lose both GOM range and real world range in the cold of winter. There is nothing you can do about this, especially since there is no active thermal management on the e-Golf.

Make sense?

In short, don't worry about your GOM number dropping.

Back