Electronic System Error Message

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocohead

Hi all,

I was driving on the freeway, doing 65, 1,600 miles on the car, when an error appeared claiming an electrical system fault. It recommended going to a dealer. In the cluster a yellow triangle with exclamation point lit.

The car continued to operate normally. Everything appeared to work fine. When I got off the freeway I shut the car off and on restart the light did not return. That was 2 days ago and the car has been fine since.

I called vw and they couldn't help.

My inclination is to keep driving and not worry about it. Thoughts?

Vw did encourage me to take it to the dealer. I'm just not curious enough to take time off work to do that. If it happens again I will. In the interim I'll yet my obd-2 reader and see if that tells me anything.

SaintTiki said:
Shouldn't you be able to check the fault in carnet or in the MFD?

Only when the fault is active. Once the warning icon goes away, so does the MFD description.

It should be logged in the OBDII, though.

Using an OBD-II reader and the android Torque app, I checked error codes. The app found no stored codes. And, by the way, the error has not recurred.

For now I am not going to worry. If it appears again, I will plug the OBD-II reader in before shutting down to see if I can see the fault then.

Back