Converting factory charger to L2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckthorp

Hold off on this mod. Looks like there is an issue that makes it fail after about an hour.

The forum appears to unhelpfully be adding advertisements to this post... There are no useful links in this post.

I picked up a spare factory Delphi charger from eBay for pretty cheap with the hope of converting it to a portable L2 charger. Here is how I did it.

Before I get started with the instructions, I disclaim any responsibility for damage or injury if you follow these instructions. It worked for me, but I can't promise it will work for you. There may be different PCB versions, etc. When working with 240V AC, there is always a risk of fire, injury, or death. This obviously voids any warranty and invalidates the UL listing.

That said, the charging current remains the same and the charger clearly is designed to allow this possibility.

To start, you'll need to gather a few tools and supplies

The first tool is a T20 Security Torx bit, which looks like this:
W0YQPzPm.jpg

rYgj8OQm.jpg

The second tool is a soldering iron, solder, and solder wick.

You will also need some new varistors. I used Panasonic ERZ-V20D511, purchased from Digi-Key as P/N P7235-ND for USD$2.04/ea. You will need 3 pieces.

I don't have a photo of the screws to remove, but it should be fairly obvious. You will need to remove 4 case screws, 5 PCB screws, and 2 cable clamp screws from the power inlet side. Here is a photo of the removed screws and clamp:
ikSts94m.jpg

There may have been a different size Torx bit needed for the PCB screws, but if you have a standard torx bit set you should be fine. You could just use a security driver if needed.

Here are the markings on my PCB:
3Z2MLu2l.jpg

There are some jumpers next to the microcontroller (U4). I haven't experimented with these, but it is possible that they could control different functionality modes.

After removing the screws, desolder the 3 old varistors, marked here with green arrows (one is a bit hidden under the relay flange in this photo):
G4k9304m.jpg

Next, we need to rewire the transformer for 220/240V operation. This is done by placing the primary windings in series instead of parallel.

Remove the jumper links from connections 1-3 and 4-6. Replace with a jumper on 3-4. Here is a marked up photo showing the removed jumpers in pink and the new jumper in blue:
1EaYpS2l.jpg

Next, install the 3 new varistors and close up the unit by reinstalling all of the screws.

Finally, mark the unit for 220/240V use and test it out. You may want to replace the plug, but it isn't essential. You could instead use an adapter cable.

This will charge at roughly double the speed of the factory charger.

I tried plugging it in to a 110V outlet and it gives an error LED, so it shouldn't cause any damage if inadvertently connected. If you inadvertently connect the 110V unit to 220V, it will likely burn out the varistors or do something else bad.

I haven't tested it on 208V yet, but I'm guessing it should work.

SaintTiki said:
Nicely done but this seems like a TERRIBLE idea, haha.

Any particular reason why? The Leaf folks have been doing this for years to their Panasonic EVSEs. There are even companies you can pay to do it to your charger. The in-car charger, the J1772 plug, relay, optoisolators, cabling, etc are all rated for 240V and this doesn't change the charge current so there won't even be any extra heat. As far as I can tell, he only part not rated appropriately are the varistors and the transformer jumper settings.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a good thing for travel use, especially since my L2 charger is very bulky since it has a 12 meter charging cord. (and its doubly bulky as its 50 amp (#6 awg) conductors).

I would make one change - find a 4PDT switch that could be made waterproof, and make the thing voltage agile.

Anyone have a good source for "inline" style plugs and receptacles for the common 220V plugs? (14-50, 6-50, and 10-30/50) All the plugs in the usual home despot electrical depot are right angle, and all the receptacles are for wall mounting, either surface or in a box. Means simple adapters get bulky.

They do have inline plugs and receptacles for the locking styles, but those aren't what you find in the wild...

rjnerd said:
I would make one change - find a 4PDT switch that could be made waterproof, and make the thing voltage agile.
The down side would be accidentally bumping that switch and frying something. There are people that have built a fairly simple circuit for auto-switching the Nissan Leaf/Panasonic unit.

rjnerd said:
Anyone have a good source for "inline" style plugs and receptacles for the common 220V plugs? (14-50, 6-50, and 10-30/50) All the plugs in the usual home despot electrical depot are right angle, and all the receptacles are for wall mounting, either surface or in a box. Means simple adapters get bulky.
Look here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#nema-connectors/=xvlsvh

They aren't cheap, but they'll do the job.

EDIT:
These are much less expensive that DIY but you'll need to put an L6-30 on your charger:
https://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=index&cPath=7

Ah yes, McMaster They have everything, and you can afford nothing. The adapters from the other supplier look a lot more reasonable.

6-30 isn't so bad tho I don't currently have anything that uses it. I routinely use 6-50's (welders) 10-30's (plugging in various 220 volt tools. 6-20's would make more sense, the motors are less than 3hp, but 10-30's are easier to get.) 14-30/50 when I do a new dryer/range, and now 14-50's as EV plugs.

The switch I am thinking of is like the sort they use on other power supplies, the sort that mount flush, and require something pointed to move.

Bad news. It worked for about an hour and then quit with an internal fault. Looks like I have some troubleshooting to do.

Looks like they used a line powered relay. I'm ordering a 230V coil version and will post an update when it arrives.

Oh well. Does the coil like DC? if so a buck regulator could help make an agile one. I take it they didn't use a dual coil relay, and jumpers like the input transformer...

Anyhow, our unmodified 110 volt "delphi" branded level one box that came with the car has decided to throw "Power Fault" every time you plug it in. It started intermittent, (unplugging would usually clear it) its now a solid fail. Since the sticker on the back says "low resistance to ground" as the usual reason for such a fault, I suspect some moisture getting inside the case and onto the circuit board. (looking at your picture, I am surprised they didn't conformal coat the sucker Great for your tinkering, but there is a reason that most automotive boards get potted). Since the dealer is just going to do a swap under warranty, I haven't opened it up to verify my suspicions.

I encountered my first ever 6-30 plug in the wild today. No, I wasn't going to charge the car, I wanted to plug in a welder. (we have a lot of weld to lay down, and not enough time to do it, its steel, mostly 16 gauge, and pretty isn't a priority, so I hauled over my old, crude MIG to take the place of Zach's new age inverter TIG, and despite a 200 amp output rating, it only asked for a 30A circuit, so that's what they installed. Luckily you can pull a cheap leviton 6-50 apart, and twist the blades... I wonder why the 30A gets two wide blades, and the 50A gets one wide, one narrow)

I'm hoping to do this conversion soon on my Volt EVSE, so I can use it for both cars. Seems pretty straightforward and people on the Facebook forum like the results, even though it tops out at 12A.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=D2-_pfCtPu4

Back