EVGo combo fast charger (CCS and CHAdeMO)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintTiki

Question about this charger.

This is the one that has two cables and the option on the touchscreen for which one you want. If I pull up to one of these and someone is using the CHAdeMO, can I still use with CCS without jacking up their session? A Leaf driver today told me she didnt start charging until I told her I was done because she said it would immediately end my session. I find this hard to believe, especially since just pressing the button costs $5 each time, if someone else could end my session early, that would really screw me. Further, can the machine support 100kW simultaneous draw or did we share the available power?

It depends on whether the unit can supply that much current. My guess is only one or the other can be used at once.

Where are you located?

Anyone else ever charge two cars at the same time on one of these ABB fast charge combo stations?

I don't really see which charger you are referring to, as there is no useful link the post, but I have seen an ABB NRG EVGO charging station before that had two outlets, one for chademo and one for sae combo (CCS) and each of them said 50kW on it, so I presume you could charge both at the same time?

How fast can the eGolf charge on the DC fast charger when empty anyways, does it get the full 50kW or less? I charged at about 36kW before when I started I was already 50% full so thats not a good test, too bad the car does not tell you all the detail like Tesla's do... I guess I get what I paid for lol.

Chargepoint appears to be rolling out 24kW DC fast chargers instead of 50kW at the moment, so NRG EVGO is going to be faster.

Yeah, I didn't post any links, the forums auto linked some junk.

That's the charger I am talking about, and I had the same thought.

I don't think the e-Golf can accept 50kw. I believe the battery is only about 320 volts. Since the 50kw's probably comes from 500 volts and 100 amps (500x100=50,000), then the e-Golf is probably limited to the 320ish volts times 100 amps, give or take 36kw sounds within reason and probably the max.

I've charged a few times on DC. 12% to about 93% in 30 minutes (NRG stations stop session at 30 minutes).

My understanding is that only one connector can be used at once on the ABB dual-standard fast chargers. The second user will just get a message that it cannot be used until the other is finished. I don't think it will interrupt the existing session. However, if you wanted to, I think you could explicitly cancel their session.

Electricbowtie said:
My buddy who also has an e-Golf charged using DC ABB and was able to charge at 50 kW. He went from 22% to 80% in 19 minutes. Gotta love that.

Interesting. Somebody from Volkswagen told me 40kW would be the limit.

Skryll said:
Electricbowtie said:
My buddy who also has an e-Golf charged using DC ABB and was able to charge at 50 kW. He went from 22% to 80% in 19 minutes. Gotta love that.
Interesting. Somebody from Volkswagen told me 40kW would be the limit.
You're right. An e-Golf won't take 50kW. The reason is that the battery voltage is pretty low compared to other EVs. Also, if you do the math, 22% to 80% is 14 kWh which he claims was added in 19 minutes. That's 44kW. The ABB has a limit of 125A DC which means the average voltage was 352V. That is too high. I suspect it took a little more than 19 minutes or the numbers were fudged a little to back calculate from 44kW.

Nonetheless, you gotta love DCFC.

Yeah I charged the other day and averaged about 35kw for the first 15 minutes. Still plenty fast.

I really hope that VW and BMW (and GM) get moving quickly on installing lots and lots of CCS charging stations - in all the states where they sell their cars!

Back