Carwash - Difficult to speed forward after being in Neutral

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlo

Took my eGolf for a wash today and I experienced something that freaked me out a bit. After the carwash (one of those automated tunnel types) and having had put the car in Neutral for its one and half minute voyage I arrived at the end of the line where the green light (for the carwash) signaled me to "go". I stepped on it and nothing happened, having have read the manual I noticed the "green brake pedal" light was on, according to the manual, if I step on the brake then on the accelerator I should be able to move forward. Didn't happen. Tried it several times and I could not move forward. Ended up having to put the car in Park, turn it off, press on the brake, turn it on and back on D...kinda scary when another car is 5-8' behind me. The carwash probably has proximity safety sensors but still, am not letting anyone take the car to the carwash for this reason. Any recomendations, perhaps a step by step "do it this way"?

I have not experienced that, but I will try to see what happens. I would send an email to VW Customer Care: VWoA Customer CARE <[email protected]> and describe the specific steps that failed to work.

The irony is, the e-Golf has adaptive creep, so if you stop it with the brake and just leave it is D, it won't creep.

Thank you for the recommendation - I've e-mailed them, I'll post their recommendation/response once I have clarification.

VWs recommendation was to open a case with them and contact my region case manager.

Jlo said:
VWs recommendation was to open a case with them and contact my region case manager.

I did not put mine in neutral and after the car wash it also didn't want to start but it showed 'electric drive train towing damage' and was disabled for a few minutes freaking me out. The guys pushed it out and after a few minutes and me turning it off and on it eventually started again and worked as normal. Very scary.

I have had it in for an unrelated issue at VW upgrading some firmware and did not mention it, nor did they.

Update - I haven't opened a case or had it checked out...figured I'd give it another go and be EXTREMELY cognizant of exactly what's going on on my next wash...

Next wash happened this weekend - drove into the wash tunnel, put it on N and went along for the ride, at the end I allowed the tunnel track to completely push me out. At this point the "green brake foot" light was on, I lightly tapped the brake and immediately (like an Olympian brake pedal presser...new sport) got on the accelerator. To my surprise I had zero issues...no difficulty whatsoever, so I'll leave it to operator error and wait for trial #3...stay tuned...may be soon kinda dusty 'round here lately.

took my car to the wash today. I had read this post a while back so I was a bit anxious to see what would happen. didn't have any problems starting back up after going through the tunnel. Only thing that was unnerving was that the parking lights were flashing as it was rolling through the tunnel in neutral. I guess it's normal?

Update - I've not had any issues again and so this may have been user error (mine of course); still I don't let the carwash folks or family drive my car through a carwash...rather avoid any issues.

Ever try to back out of your driveway after taking your foot off of the brake before putting the car into reverse? It seems to not want to go. Pressing the Start button seems to fix the problem without cutting the power off. And of course, rebooting the car. Safety feature, I'm sure.

I choose not to go to a car wash if possible. I hear horror stories.

I took mine through a car wash a few weeks ago. I had to tap the break slightly in order to shift from neutral to drive but once doing so, had no problem accelerating and leaving the car wash tunnel without having to put it in park and restart the car.

Back