Jack & Spare ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEConnor

Our eGolf did not come with a spare nor a jack and wrench. It has the pump compressor instead. This is not something I thought about until just this weekend. I was getting ready to monkey around with the charger lock (following the helpful hints found on this forum about disabling the small piston action) over the weekend and discovered the absence in the lower trunk compartment. I ended up borrowing a neighbor's set to disable the annoying charger lock.

Nonetheless, this seems either a purposeful weight-saving effort for the eGolf or an oversight from the dealer. Before I bug them and me, I was wondering if maybe I'm missing something. Our new Mini S also came without spare&jack, but they clearly told us about that at the Mini Dealer, emphasizing the fact it has run-flats (not the case of this VW, as I understand)...

Cheers,
Tim

It's totally intentional. Most EVs don't have spare tires, jacks, or run-flat tires. Just a compressor and goo. ...and roadside assistance.

I would suggest getting a plug kit, rather than using the goo. If you use the goo, then you will have to replace the tire pressure sensor, in the one tire, at least.

Another suggestion: get a couple of spare 20A fuses for the 12V power outlets. I have used the stock pump (we had two punctures in the right rear tire ...) and for whatever reason, the pump now blows the fuse. I have purchased a better pump, that has a light, and a much easier to use compartment for the cord.

I had a flat a few weeks ago and it was a pain to go get a spare tire from home and order a replacement online. I decided to buy a spare w/ jack kit from eBay, which was pretty reasonable. Just make sure it has the correct bolt pattern and offset. The compact spare acceptably under the trunk floor -- the e-Golf seems to have a slightly different plastic piece that bumps in to the tire a little, but everything still shuts fine.

Hej Neil.

I assume VW uses the same technology in Europe and the US: That would mean, there is NO pressure sensor in no wheel. VW uses rev differences between the tires (measured by the ABS) to determine pressure loss.

Cheers,
Oliver

It's not just EVs. A lot of cars are coming with run flats or goo & compressor these days.

Back