tire tread life:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering who has the most miles on their car so far, and how are the tires holding up? They have a tread wear rating of 640, which is the highest I have seen. Will they last 40k? 50k? More? Thank you.

The sidewalls of the Continental Tires on our e-Golf LE say Treadwear 500. Where did you get the 640 number?

I will be lucky to get 30,000 on my RAV4 EV factory tires, but they're rated 280! :shock:

Sorry, the 640 is a typo. It should be 540.

Mine came with Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus. Which gets rated as high as 640 on Tirerack. But mine is 540.

Hoping they'll last my 36k mile lease term :D

When are you rotating them? Front to back, cross pattern?

I am hoping they last exactly 30k and when I return the car, they are smoking bald and are showing the steel belts through the tire.

I paid for the LEWP, I damn well want to take full advantage of it. As close as I can get to 10k worth of "wear and tear" the better. :)

I'll probably rotate them around 10k miles. Front to back/back to front.

Great idea with the excess wear warranty. I think if you didn't get it, you have to make sure the tires are at least 5/32 tread left.

My particular eGolf also came equipped with the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus. If they're anything like the Ecopias that come with the Nissan Leaf (which I've had for 2-1/2 years) they'll be bald in 25k miles.

At least some car manufacturers specify OEM tires that do not last as long as the retail versions of the same tires. I know that the Continentals that came with my Audi were also bald by 25k miles.

Electricbowtie said:
We burned up our Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 on our Spark EV on the front in 8000 miles.

You're not the only one. On another forum (non-EV related), another Spark EV owner mentioned he wore through a front set of the OEM Ecopias very quickly as well.

BTW what happened to your Spark? Totaled in a crash?

RonDawg said:
Electricbowtie said:
We burned up our Bridgestone Ecopia EP150 on our Spark EV on the front in 8000 miles.

You're not the only one. On another forum (non-EV related), another Spark EV owner mentioned he wore through a front set of the OEM Ecopias very quickly as well.

Yes, my wife was driving and took a left turn other an obstructed view from a large van and was hit in the passenger front tire by the 2nd lane of traffic. Damages included front fender, light, and most of all bent suspension and frame rail. Estimates of repair were $12,290 with some unknowns so they totaled it. Luckily we got back $19,300 for it which was $700 less than what we paid after rebates 22 months prior. Luckily, no one was badly hurt and the car was fun while it lasted.

Electricbowtie said:
RonDawg said:
Electricbowtie said:

Yes, my wife was driving and took a left turn other an obstructed view from a large van and was hit in the passenger front tire by the 2nd lane of traffic. Damages included front fender, light, and most of all bent suspension and frame rail. Estimates of repair were $12,290 with some unknowns so they totaled it. Luckily we got back $19,300 for it which was $700 less than what we paid after rebates 22 months prior. Luckily, no one was badly hurt and the car was fun while it lasted.

Glad to hear that any injuries were only minor, and hopefully everybody has/will make a full recovery. Good thing your insurance company totaled the car...with that amount of damage, I would not want it back, especially if it's purchased and not leased.

Electrikarma said:
I'll probably rotate them around 10k miles. Front to back/back to front.

Great idea with the excess wear warranty. I think if you didn't get it, you have to make sure the tires are at least 5/32 tread left.

Come to think of it, if I have to get a new set of tires before my lease is up, I am just going to buy a new set of wheels and tires. Like a nice set of 17's or 18's. Keep the old bald tires on the OEM rims.

When it comes time to return, I am taking off the new wheels and tires and selling them to make back some money I and I will put back on the old OEM wheels and tires.

I was planning on buying some wheels, have been shopping around for wheels that are < 20lbs. I have a few choices. Now I have to wait. :(

Back