Where is VW's update on Quantum Scape solid state battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

VW in March promised a status report in July on it's 5% investment in Quantum Scape's solid state battery which promises higher density, lower weight and lower cost. If it proves feasible, unlike GM's and others experience in the past, it would be a game changer for VW which has a good strategy for EV's and phevs with their common MQB platform all using the same battery approach.

I've been anxiously awaiting the results, but here it is the end of July and nothing so far

Ron

As far as I recall, they said they'd be making a decision on whether or not to increase their stake in Quantum Scape around July. I don't think they promised any public announcement in July. We might have to wait for VW's next legally-mandated financial filing date (quarterly report etc) to find out. Even then, there might be any number of reasons why they might just postpone a decision, if Quantum Scape is looking promising but behind in testing for instance. They're almost certain to be behind where they thought they would be, especially compared to the pitch they give to potential investors.
Quantum Scape does seem to be hiring based on their LinkedIn page, but other than that, there's no recent information about them on the web. My guess is they're either still in 'stealth' mode, or it's just not working out.

Back