Is the real world range really 83 miles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximusa

Is it less or more than the EPA rating of 83 miles? With real world scenarios (hills, freeway etc).

After a week of driving I am very pleasantly surprised. Feels like a solid real world 83 miles. A vast improvement over our 3 year old leaf - at the point it would be on its last legs the golf seems to be at 1/4-3/8 remaining.

Did you pay MSRP? What color? I'm looking for one of the two grays but of the 117 for sale in the US, only 1 is gray and not in my area

Ron

Wonder what you get with Eco and Eco+ modes? I think this car is a winner, just need more DC Quick Combo Chargers out there for longer strides.

I live in Southern California, a place with 65mph speed limits and occasional speeds that average 70-75mph. I'd really like to know the "Get on the freeway and drive 70mph" range of the eGolf, as that would be my personal "worst case" scenario. You'd think the Germans would be driving this thing on the Autobahn. Anyone seen any reports?

Drove just under a 100 miles with the car so far. City Driving and Stop-Go traffic is very solid with lots of regeneration happening. Range decrease was only 10 miles after driving 18 miles from dealer to home.

This morning drove on the turnpike (65 mph) and achieved less than indicated range. The issue is at higher speeds the drag increases the kWh / mile (a lot it seems)

Not a great car if using solely on highways for longer distances, but fine to drive for stretches IMO...

Even though the car isn't real designed to do long highway stretches, if I were to Travel 75 MPH on the freeway (mixed hills and flats) on a full charge, what type of range would I get? Curious how I would get to San Diego or Santa Barbara from Los Angeles.

100 mile highway trips from LA are why we still have a gas burner... 70-75miles highway I expect - and even then you better be drafting behind trucks and SUVs if you are traveling over the speed limit.

Hey MaximUSA

I've now put 300 miles on the car, 70% of that on highway (half of that is congested highway, other half is unobstructed turnpike). There is about a 1000ft of incline and 600ft of decline on that stretch. I'm averaging 3.7 kWh/100 miles which so far puts my range at about 90 miles in real life. Much of the driving was done at 28F and I am noticing improvements today driving at 40F for example. I've done both drafting behind trucks and today i was able to do 14 miles at 85mph in the left lane (it won't go faster than that) and so far the difference is subtle but not extreme. At 85mph i still observed between 2 and 3 kWh/100 mile consumption which was not that bad IMO.

Does the e-Golf come with ChargePoint cards that you just have to activate?
Or do you have to call and get them mailed to you?

The sales person told us they would come in the mail. However, they (2) are in fact included in the welcome package in your glove compartment. Just need to activate them when you get home.

Depending on which state you live, it seems to me very beneficial to also sign up for 1 or 2 other networks like BLINK or (SemaConnect) Charge Pro. Especially the first weeks if you're waiting for your home charger install. FWIW.

The PLUG SHARE App has been most helpful to me locating charging points along the way.... Most complete and most up to date.

Can someone to the same test at Tony did for the Spark EV and the Soul EV ?
just highway 62mph, what is your total miles.

You should be able to find the testing on You Tube. I am at work and do not have the link . Or you can go to the Kia Soul EV forum on this site. It is listed there

After 3 weeks of commuting 62 miles round trip, I've found that my remaining mileage goes down almost exactly 62 miles if I keep the speed about 65-70 mph. If I go 80 mph, the range goes down 66 miles.

But on the weekends around town, the opposite happens. I can drive 15 miles and the range only goes down 12 if I keep the e-Golf in "B" (braking) mode, which gives maximum recharging during deceleration.

Also, I've noticed that after 15 or so days of commuting, I'm getting more range than at first.

I'm still learning how to best drive the e-Golf, but the more I drive it, the more I like it.

Brother257 said:
But on the weekends around town, the opposite happens. I can drive 15 miles and the range only goes down 12 if I keep the e-Golf in "B" (braking) mode, which gives maximum recharging during deceleration.

Do you keep it in "B" while commuting to work?
I drive freeways to and from, and keep it in "B" since there is a fair amount of stop and go. Leave it in "Normal" for maximum power.
Same as you, the range goes down almost exactly as the number of miles driven, so long as I stay at 70 mph max.

Does anyone know if leaving the car in "B" has issues?

Picked up my limestone gray (which is a metallic although the web site and sales brochure makes no mention) e-Golf Monday. I can understand why it's Car & Driver car of the year. Solid driving and expensive looking interior. Very nice car, and I'm glad I held off on the i3. Couple of points

1. I'm showing 77 miles range after a full day on the 110V charger. Seems like it should show a somewhat more to get 70-90 miles

2. The quick start guide and users manual that come with the car needs work, and I only discovered most of the functions through trial and error and hunting through the users manual. In addition there are errors, particularly in Fig 5 but throughout, including functions that don't belong with the e-golf, functions that aren't where the manual says they should be, spelling, etc
The videos at the web site http://knowyourvw.com/?page=video&id=44 are limited in number. There appear to be more if you have an i-phone which I don't

3. I can't figure out how to turn off the radio except by turning the volume to zero. I don't use the radio much but will use the screen for navigation, vehicle status, driving

4. There plastic piece in the cargo area I can't figure out a use for

5. There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off the daytime driving lights

6. The parking warning signals going into the garage require getting used to if you've never had a car with them. I've never run into anything in all the years, but still it's probably a good idea. I found you can set the volume and pitch lower as they were far too jarring and stress producing just from the simple act of pulling into the garage close to the wall

Ron

my real world is ~70 driving sporty on the freeway, that's ~80 mph, quick starts, spinning the tires.

But, driving in to work in traffic (richmond, ca to SF, ca) 47 minutes to do 17 miles, using B mode, and eco plus, not using brakes much at all, I get a range of ~112 mi at 5.6 mi/kwh. it was 5.9 until the traffic cleared up and I climbed the bridge at 60mph.

one pedal driving is also really nice.

Yesterday I did my normal 5 miles to work at about 45 - 50 mph with one light, then an errand of 11 miles at about 35- 40 mph. The range estimate said I had 58 miles remaining.
I then drove 22 miles through towns in Eco mode with B regen and the range went down to 54 miles..!
Then I came home 21 miles in Normal mode with about 16 miles of highway (including a long hill) without trying to be economical at all and the range estimate was 15 miles when I got home.

59 real world miles, 53 miles difference between the range estimates at the start and end of the day.

I have been driving 2,500 commuter miles so far. I go 37 miles to work, mostly freeway, in the dark; and 37 miles home. I commute in SoCal on the 405, to give you an idea. I always drive with level 3 regeneration, and I do not (well, very rarely) exceed 65 mph. In the morning, when it is not stop and go traffic, I get between 4.5 to 4.8 miles/kWh. Going home, with slower speeds and many stops, between 4.8 and occasionally 5 miles/kWh. I find that I get the best from the battery if I charge it right after coming back home to 100% (which I need anyway for the next day's commute). If I charge it less (like to 80%) and then have to top it up to 100% the next day, I seem to get fewer miles. But that is not a scientific observation.

Back