Had mine for 3 weeks now :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaegerVW

I picked up one of the first ones sold in CA on Nov 4th up in Redwood City just south of SF. White withe titan Black interior. I decided to lease it for 3 years (first lease ever) because it made sense and even if I buy at the end of the term it would still be cheaper than an outright purchase.
Anyway, I've logged over 502 miles so far with an average of 3.8mpkWh.
My commute is a nice mix of short freeway runs, inclined stop and go Pacific Coast Highway section and stop and go city traffic.
I usually start off the day with aprox 90 miles on the clock (in South SF). Then I drop the kids off at school which is only 5 miles away, but all uphill, so when I get there it's down to 78....but the rest of the drive is mostly slight downhill stop and go, so by the time I make it to Golden Gate Park (11 miles away) I'm still at 78! Then lots of stop and go city surface streets bring me up to 80! Then some short (heavy footed) runs through the Presidio I make it to work with (total of 20 miles with the school run) I still have 76miles left on the clock!
Going home I go through the city up (steep!)Divisedero it drops quickly, but then I gain it all back on the back side. So by the time I make it to 101South I'm still around 70, then 101 is some congested bits with some 70mph stretches and I usually get home with 55 left still (total of 35miles traveled and aprox 35miles of charge used.!!! Pretty freakin' good IMO.

I also just got the level 2 Bosch Power Max 30AMP installed at home, so home charging only take a little over an hour and 25 minutes to go back to full, and I don't start charging until after 11 to use off-peak power.

I LOVE this thing so far, quiet, feels fast (and IS up to 30 or so) Can leave many cars off the line, just enough to pull ahead to change lanes if needed. Still lots of torque at mid speeds. Perfect for commutes. I also own a 2004 VW R32, and I haven't driven it at all since I got the e-Golf!!!
41848ed6b14dd12024dcf02c9ba1a75c_zpse4e9998d.jpg

the above photo is VWvortex member RALLEYSPORT's photo, just a nice photo of the pure white
photo2-7_zpsb0145dd3.jpg

IMG_3914_zpseb0f4dc8.jpg

10428415_10152946368344750_3482094913164219736_n.jpg

1609605_10152918982719750_3298850797965767672_n.jpg

Nice info, thank you - it sounds like the range you are getting is decent.

Do you have a thought as to the actual range @ 70mph sustained? I live in San Diego and we often have light traffic and folks drive 70-75 here routinely.

soylentgreen said:
Nice info, thank you - it sounds like the range you are getting is decent.

Do you have a thought as to the actual range @ 70mph sustained? I live in San Diego and we often have light traffic and folks drive 70-75 here routinely.

I'll say that it's not a freeway cruiser unless you have a place to plug in at both ends of your commute, unless you really know how to use the brake re-gen skillfully on the freeway. But I imagine you might get 70 miles if it's all open freeway.. but it's not something I do. I don't like to live more than 30 minutes from work, so I've never had it much below 1/2 charge left. Lowest was 42 miles remaining on a weekend of running errands etc without plugging in all day.
But if there are VW dealers along your route you could stop at for a quick free charge for 20-30 minutes just in case. BTW, the free tow if you run out is only within a 100mile radius of your home. So if you go beyond that you're on your own.
how many actual miles do you drive in a day? and do you have access to a charger on either end?
I personally don't need a plug at work, but they are there if I find I need one. But if your commute is much more than 100-120 miles round trip than a hybrid or extended range would make more sense.

But if your commute is within 50 miles one way it could work as long you have plug access at work. it depends on the terrain too, up hill will cost you, while downhill will regain you some, and stop and go actually helps quite a bit.

JaegerVW said:
But I imagine you might get 70 miles if it's all open freeway..

My daily commute is about 26 miles, so that's a gimme (and, there are L2 blink chargers at work, if I ever need it).

Once a week I have a 56mi round trip, which should be fine, but it's 85% freeway miles. Could I do it at 70mph and not lose my sanity?

Every once in a while, I might go to the airport which is 75 miles RT, 95% of which is freeway. That's a little more scary. however, there are some DCFS stations around, and I probably wouldn't mind doing that on occasion.

I seem to be able to do 20 miles of LA freeway using only a quarter of a "tank" - lots of 70 but also some slow spots. Very happy with the range - 56 miles of freeway is not a issue.

After a few years of electric car driving however I find myself instinctively drafting behind larger cars/trucks when possible at freeway speeds - this makes a big difference in mileage.

Back