Steps to charge E golf on Chargepoint (having trouble)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folks,
I just got my car last weekend. since then, i have had trouble getting the car to start charging with chargepoint. there seems to be some sequence of steps, like unlocking/locking (that i cant figure out yet) needed for it to start charging. i spend 10 minutes removing chord, unlocking/locking etc before i can get it to start charging. I have tried multiple stations in my office parking lot and same issues.

I expected the following to work:
1. I arrive at the station
2. Leave car in unlocked state
3. Scan my chargepoint card for authorization
4. take the power chord and plug into the E golf
this never seems to work

At home, it has always been straightforward. I just plug into my 110 V outlet.

Anyone else seen this. Any tips ?

Is the lower button(delay mode) by charge port lit? If so, you need to press the top button(immediate mode) after plugging in. Pressing it before plugging in should also work.

thanks for the reply. Yes .. i do check the lights. the delay light is not on .. i do push the button for immediate charge as well .. anyway .. i am still debugging it everytime i charge.

Hmm, your sequence sounds ok. I've charged at many chargepoint stations and light starts to pulsate green about a second after pressing the immediate charge button. Might be that station is bad? Have you tried other chargepoint stations?

Not sure if it matters, but I plug cord into car before swiping Chargepoint card at the dispenser.

Frank3 said:
Not sure if it matters, but I plug cord into car before swiping Chargepoint card at the dispenser.

That might work with the particular units that ChargePoint uses in your area, but in SoCal the charging handles are locked into the holster and cannot be unlocked until authorized by either using one of their cards/fobs, using an RFID-enabled credit card, or calling their 800# and giving the charging station ID number.

This even applies at ChargePoint stations that don't charge for usage, such as the ones at some SoCalEdison locations.

hiavanisrush said:
Folks,
I just got my car last weekend. since then, i have had trouble getting the car to start charging with chargepoint. there seems to be some sequence of steps, like unlocking/locking (that i cant figure out yet) needed for it to start charging. i spend 10 minutes removing chord, unlocking/locking etc before i can get it to start charging. I have tried multiple stations in my office parking lot and same issues.

I expected the following to work:
1. I arrive at the station
2. Leave car in unlocked state
3. Scan my chargepoint card for authorization
4. take the power chord and plug into the E golf
this never seems to work

At home, it has always been straightforward. I just plug into my 110 V outlet.

Anyone else seen this. Any tips ?

That is how it works for me. Make sure you plug it all the way in so that you hear the click of the lock, I had it before that my kids seemed to plug it in but not forceful enough and so it didn't start charging.

If it still does not work go to the dealer, they typically have a charge point L2 station where you can demonstrate the issue and they can help you fix it

I have similar issue - car is not locking L2 chargers that I have around my work (I usually charge at work).

So far only one thing that still accepted is supplied 110V charger. It locks right away.

It seams like mine issues are from newer charge plugs. It happens pretty much after cord replaced, other cars are perfectly fine...

In the Charger Lock thread someone noted that the charger-lock mechanism was interferring with some of the chargepoint charger handles/trigger clips. Perhaps what you are seeing is that the charger lock on the eGolf is unable to engage because of a clearance/interference issue on the top of the charger clip. If the charger lock is unable to seat, it will disable charging. I proved this to myself by physically restraining the little piston...it will go from a few seconds of charge to disabled. IF this is the problem, the solution exists in the Charger Lock thread (though VW should be the ones fixing this silly feature by allowing control over the charger lock instead of automating it)...

Cheers,
Tim

Yea, I read it and was about to take that lock it out, only one thing that stops me - if I do that I will never get charge, people at place I work are thinking their cars the most important and take charger as soon as they park without checking if it charged or not (craziest one - I parked, next car parked right after me, lady saw I just plugged in, as soon as I did 10 steps away she tried to pull plug out of my car).

Having lock actually good for me (I always take my car out of stall as soon as its done +-10 min) but fact that I can't charge because of it makes me crazy... Fact is - it was ok after they replaced cables for some time and then suddenly it stopped woring, you know... Not that handles grow bigger in a few weeks. Anyway, I'm planning to stop by at dealer to see if this is handle issue or not.

vetaldj said:
Yea, I read it and was about to take that lock it out, only one thing that stops me - if I do that I will never get charge, people at place I work are thinking their cars the most important and take charger as soon as they park without checking if it charged or not (craziest one - I parked, next car parked right after me, lady saw I just plugged in, as soon as I did 10 steps away she tried to pull plug out of my car).

Unbelievable.

vetaldj said:
In that instance, you are legally entitled to beat her to death with the charging plug.

vetaldj said:
(craziest one - I parked, next car parked right after me, lady saw I just plugged in, as soon as I did 10 steps away she tried to pull plug out of my car).

What did she say when you confronted her?

Well, unfortunately (for story purpose of course) I did not beat her nor confronted her, knowing she can't do it anyway :)

As I said already - it looks like I'm only the one here who actually like locking feature. even though it gives me a problem now with new plugs...

BTW, yesterday I was out of charge first time (partially because of issue above), waited tow truck for almost two hours... But this is another story

Back