Business Week calls the e-Golf boring... but it's good!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

Business Week recently reviewed the Volkswagen electric Golf - and called it "The Boring Brilliance of VW's New Electric Golf".

1030_egolf_970-630x420.jpg

One of the comments the reviewer made is how the e-Golf dash doesn't light up with leaves and butterflies if you drive efficiently - it simply has a needle that goes into the green when regenerating with braking, and into the red when accelerating.

1030_egolf_inline_630_1.jpg

The article also offers some insight into why the e-Golf will only be available in CARB states:
The car’s electric capabilities manifest themselves on the window sticker, which starts with a number around $35,500—roughly double the price of its cheapest gas-burning brethren. At the moment, that price gap would cover the cost of almost 6,000 gallons of gas. No wonder Volkswagen is selling the electric Golf only in states that offer California-sized tax credits.

In closing, Business Week has this to say about the e-Golf:
"Volkswagen has made the electric car boring, and that’s no small accomplishment."

Read the full article here:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-31/car-review-volkswagens-electric-golf-is-boringly-brilliant

<<<which starts with a number around $35,500—roughly double the price of its cheapest gas-burning brethren.>>>

Really misleading as it's comparing a bare bones entry level 2dr Golf to a loaded luxury SEL e-Golf. While it may appear to be 2x, it's not a fair comparison on two counts:
1. The e-Golf is the loaded SEL 4 door version... leatherette seats, partial power heated seats, led lights, cruise control, parking assist, metallic paint, etc. The comparable loaded gas version is around 28,000 or more, which narrows the gap to 7,500

2. There's a 7,500 tax credit for the e-golf. If you owe that much or more in taxes, that narrows the difference to zero

I predict vw will sell a bunch of these because after all it's the new designed 2015 Golf which is the #1 rated car in compacts and hatchbacks and both the golf and the e-golf have gotten great reviews

Ron

If they'd hurry up and start delivering them in North America they'd sell a bunch more than they are right now ;)

Good point about the base model vs full loaded e-Golf.

There's 100 for sale in the US Carb states and more on the dock. I just ordered a Limestone gray metallic and they expect it in about two weeks. There's only 3 in that color among the 100, most being white and blue, but none were near me so I had to guess at the color from the pictures.

VW is apparently making around 80/day for both EU and US, so they will be showing up. For now, each participating dealer is limited to one

Ron

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...m=location&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC

Cove3

Apperently all those white ones listed for sale are actually not all white. VW had a glitch causing all e-Golfs to appear as white on their stickers and in their computers. Not all dealers corrected this info on their websites.... I know because we bought reflex silver but our sticker said white.

Back