Buyers of e-Golf. Did you pay MSRP full price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cove3

As posts trickle in now that e-Golfs are for sale, can all actual buyers let us potential buyers know what they paid for their cars?

Ron

And can you do a test drive on the highway at 62mph and see how far you can ACTUALLY GO ?

Love the look of E-golf but if it only gets what the damn Leaf gets then I will buy the ugly Kia Soul EV

Paid MSRP. NJ cherry Hill. Dealer indicated he would not price it over MSRP (have seen this already in OR). Was the first e-Golf they sold, he only had it on the lot for 2 days.

We register the car in PA so we are not eiligible for the $299 lease offer.....

Purchased new in SoCal 11/11. $35055...$3K down, 4 year lease 326/m 10k m/y. Best deal we could get, could have got same deal for 3 years but for personal reasons dont want to have to shop again for 4 years. Great dealer, delivered car to home to sign papers, made it super easy. Other dealers..."we'll add you to the list"....and "no way MSRP we're selling them for $2K over"!
It pays to shop around.

Paid MSRP in Bay Area. Lots of dealers here were selling for 3-4K above MSRP. If you want a better deal, wait 6 months or so, and I'd bet prices will come down with incentives, etc. I didn't want to wait and am loving the car so far!

SfEvR said:
Paid MSRP in Bay Area. Lots of dealers here were selling for 3-4K above MSRP. If you want a better deal, wait 6 months or so, and I'd bet prices will come down with incentives, etc. I didn't want to wait and am loving the car so far!

SfEvR - I'd love to hear more about your Golf - how long have you had it? What do you like about it? etc.
Feel free to start a new post rather than taking over this thread...

This is going to be like my TDI new beetle.. where the dealers were gouging 5 and 10 thousand dollars over MSRP
in LA and Hollywood for folks who HAD to have the first new beetles in 25 years.

VW Dealers can be snakes. Be careful.

With the Taureg, there is NO SERVICE MANUAL... dealers plug the cars into a computer, and an "engineer" in Germany
spits out the diagnosis and service details on a one time only basis.

They did this to kill independent service, and keep it all highly profitable for VW and the Dealers.
At the same time they yanked the rug out of a LOT of small market dealers.

Now in Northern California there is NOT ONE dealer between Santa Rosa ( 40 mi N of SF) and the Oregon Border !
That is 300 miles with no dealer !

How that is supposed to play out with a car that has a nominal range of 60-80 miles, nobody knows, but don't count on it
being "good" if you live in a rural area... or any of the many Northern Counties of California.

Golf is a well engineered car, but the build quality can be all over the map... particularly with electrical aspects of the car,
and the general rattle-trap experience as the car ages beyond 100K miles.

There is NO functional advantage over the Leaf at this stage... so the smart money will NOT be an early adopter of this car
vs the known quantity of the Leaf.

2 years down the road, there should be a good body of info to see if VW's uncooled battery is performing as promised.
And what VW warranty means in the real world.

After all the expense I have had with my diesel beetle ( compared to previous VW diesels) I swore I would never buy another VW.

H,, :roll: :!:

blimpy said:
This is going to be like my TDI new beetle.. where the dealers were gouging 5 and 10 thousand dollars over MSRP
in LA and Hollywood for folks who HAD to have the first new beetles in 25 years.
Just purchased eGolf, under MSRP so your assertion is incorrect.

VW Dealers can be snakes. Be careful.
Worked with 3 local dealers to arrive at best deal, all were professional and helpful, no hissing heard.

With the Taureg, there is NO SERVICE MANUAL... dealers plug the cars into a computer, and an "engineer" in Germany
spits out the diagnosis and service details on a one time only basis.
Like every other modern car out there, guess what, ICE BMW's no longer have dip sticks.

They did this to kill independent service, and keep it all highly profitable for VW and the Dealers.
At the same time they yanked the rug out of a LOT of small market dealers.
Sounds like a smart business decision

Now in Northern California there is NOT ONE dealer between Santa Rosa ( 40 mi N of SF) and the Oregon Border !
That is 300 miles with no dealer !

How that is supposed to play out with a car that has a nominal range of 60-80 miles, nobody knows, but don't count on it
being "good" if you live in a rural area... or any of the many Northern Counties of California.
The car isn't for everyone, just like I have no reason to drive a Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck

Golf is a well engineered car, but the build quality can be all over the map... particularly with electrical aspects of the car,And you know this because..?
and the general rattle-trap experience as the car ages beyond 100K miles.
which is why most of these types of cars are on 3 year leases, not that they wont survive, more that the resale value is unknown

There is NO functional advantage over the Leaf at this stage... so the smart money will NOT be an early adopter of this car
vs the known quantity of the Leaf.
I can only assume you haven't actually driven the eGolf, there is a world of difference in the driving experience because of the eGolfs bigger motor, faster acceleration, multiple braking regeneration modes, etc.

2 years down the road, there should be a good body of info to see if VW's uncooled battery is performing as promised.
And what VW warranty means in the real world.
See item above

After all the expense I have had with my diesel beetle ( compared to previous VW diesels) I swore I would never buy another VW.
And that's your choice, it just means you may be missing out on a great car
H,, :roll: :!:

Bay Area, i got mine the first week, I was going to buy it for MSRP, but decided that lease made more sense for this car right now. So I did $3600 down and $299/mo+tax = $327/mo and I'll get $2,500 back from CA.
There are a lot of dealers marking these up, Stevenscreek marked their's up $5,000... I dumped them for Boardwalk in Redwood City (great experience), and Seremonte VW has one just like mine for a...wait for it.... $9,995.00 mark up!!!!!! screw you guys! That's STEALING every penny of the tax rebate!!!!
shop around, find a dealer right next to a Nissan dealer with a lot full of Leafs and then just point and say, I want the e-golf for MSRP!!!

I LOVE mine, had it 3 weeks now, see my post in the owners section. Super happy with the way it performs and the experience so far. put over 502 miles on it already! better slow down, I'm on a 10,000mile/yr lease :shock:

Just ordered a limestone gray to be delivered in 2-3 weeks. $35,000 + sales tax, registration etc. I'm able this year to take advantage of the 7500 tax credit. I'll decide about Level 2 charging later

Ron

We leased ours on the Central Coast of CA and got it at MRSP with the lease deal they have out ($299/mo, $2349 down for 10k miles/yr), but be aware that in CA, the taxes, fees, and title bring the monthly payment up to about $360 or so (depending on local taxes). VW is basically getting the $7500 federal government rebate and also giving dealers about $2000 to play with as an incentive. They can pass on the ~$9500 savings to you, or keep some of it as profit. They have many ways of hiding the real cost of the car, but in general, it looks like the big cities (San Jose, LA, etc) are marking up, and the suburbs/more remote areas are taking MSRP. We weren't willing to pay more than MSRP, and refused to put more down, (which just puts you in the hole faster as you're driving off the lot), and the dealer we worked with was very upfront about costs and where the fees were coming from. As it turns out, they tax the entire cap reduction amount ($7500 from the feds, $2000 from VW and all the fees and cash), so that figured into the $362 a month we're paying. All in all, we're happy with the deal we got, even if it took a couple of back-and-forths to get the lease package to work out (oddly, they couldn't figure out why the monthly cost was higher than they expected, so it took a few days).

-Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Was the $2,349 "out-the-door" including all fees, taxes, 1st mo. payment etc?
Plus 35 x $360?

That would put the total 3 year ownership at 35 x $360 + $2,349 = $14,949

Is that correct, or did I miss anything?

I totally agree on the many way they can hide the real cost, so I always just focus on the total cost, how they split up the down payment and the monthly is partially just matter of personal preferance I think.

Thanks,
John

LAeGolf said:
Hi Rachel,

Was the $2,349 "out-the-door" including all fees, taxes, 1st mo. payment etc?
Plus 35 x $360?

That would put the total 3 year ownership at 35 x $360 + $2,349 = $14,949

Is that correct, or did I miss anything?

I totally agree on the many way they can hide the real cost, so I always just focus on the total cost, how they split up the down payment and the monthly is partially just matter of personal preferance I think.

Thanks,
John

John, the out-the-door cost was $2349. We now have 35 payments of $362 and a few cents (can't remember the exact amount). The price without taxes and fees was $299/month. We also calculated the total cost of the lease, and the first offer we got included a dealer fee, that we negotiated out, but not before a couple attempts at hiding that fee by adjusting monthly payments, down payments, etc. We thought the monthly cost was going to be closer to $337 after taxes and fees (8.0% tax here), but it turns out that the way they tax it, the price per month goes up to $360ish. In other words, it was $900 more than we expected over the 36 months, but (and I had to trust them on this due to lack of other info out there now), they tax at the rate before the rebates. The manager had trouble with entering the lease into the system for a couple days because he also expected the monthly payments to be around $337-340, but the computer kept spitting out the $362. He was pretty upfront about what was going on, so if he was lying, he was doing it in a fairly unconventional way.

The only other thing is that there is a fee for returning the vehicle at the end of 36 months which is around $350 or so (don't quote me on that). Overage for miles above 30k is assessed at $0.20/mile.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, so I hope that helps.

-Rachel

Can you share the residual? (I'm sure most of us leasing are planning to not buy the car at the end, but it's always nice to know...)

Did you actually see the Limestone Gray color? No dealers around here had either Limestone Gray or Urano Gray. I had to order sight unseen from web images and it had to be one of the two grays. Since the Urano was a little too dark for me, I went with Limestone with delivery in a couple of weeks

If you actually saw it, maybe you can clear up some confusion as to whether it's metallic. Both colors in the sales brochure do not say metallic, unlike 3 of the other colors. Yet the dealers selling Urano on cars .com list it as Urano Gray Metallic, but the dealers selling Limestone list it as simply Limestone Gray.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...m=location&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=price&sf2Dir=DESC

Mine was 35000 incl destination. It appears VW is taking 1500 off msrp from the getgo, (unlike the BMW i3 initially but which now offer 2-3K rebates). Although I've read here and elsewhere some are going 1000-2000 over

Ron

soylentgreen said:
Can you share the residual? (I'm sure most of us leasing are planning to not buy the car at the end, but it's always nice to know...)

Soylentgreen, here's the breakdown

For the amount due at signing:
cap cost reduction: $10,307.96
reg fees: $316
CA tire fee: $8.75
Electronic veh reg: $29.00
cap reduction tax: $824.64

subtotal: $11849.00
rebates: Fed - $7500, VW - $2000
----------------------------------
**amount we paid in cash: - $2349.00**

For monthly payments:
Vehicle price: $36,123.53
adjusted cap cost (after cap reduction above): $26,520.57
residual value: $14,506.00

depreciation; $12,014.57
rent charge: $73.87
total base payments: $12,088.44
divide by 36 payments...
base per month: $335.79
sales tax (8.0% for us): $26.86
---------------------------
**monthly payment: $362.65**

Also, I misspoke before about it being 12k miles... it is in fact 10k miles/year. Miles over 30k at the end incur a $0.20/mile charge, but in about 14 months or so, we're expecting a call from VW in case we want to add miles at something like $0.12/mile (but don't quote me).

Hope this helps!

-Rachel

Zony said:
Rachel... you in SLO Central Coast or Monterey? Currently in Salinas they are marking up 1k.
Thanks...
Z
Z, this was in Monterey (actually Seaside). They're pretty cool guys, and gave us no markup, although the sticker shows a dealer fee of $1500 extra, which we weren't going to pay. They still have a white e-Golf with the black interior if you're interested. I can get you in touch with the sales guy we dealt with. He's very cool, knowledgable and won't give you BS. Also, the GM there is pretty interesting guy who will chat with you all about the future of EV's!

-Rachel

Back