Level 2 charging at home, and load calculations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am serviced by LADWP here in Los Angeles for my electrical needs. They charge a generous $0.15 per Kwh, provided we don't get a rate hike. The Townhouse I live in is a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft unit, and it is located 6 units away from where the power panels and meters are located. At the meter, I have two 60 amp circuit breakers, and of course neutral and ground.

Realistically, if I have a 12 to 14 foot run from my circuit breaker sub panel to the garage, how many amps can I run before getting into trouble with drawing too much power during the off hours... 11 pm to 7 am? Will two 30 amp legs be too great? Two 20 amp legs? How much voltage sag am I liable to have being the longest end run from the panels?

Rewiring from the main panel to this end is out of the question. All bulbs in the house are LED, as are the TVs, one at 110 w, the smaller one at 75W.

Everything is pretty much shut off from 11 pm to 6 or 7 am, both of us are older and retired.

You need to have an electrician do the load calcs for you. When deciding what load can be added to an electrical panel, it doesn't matter how much you actually use on other circuits and when. The Electrical Code has its own rules for how to determine what wire and circuit breaker sizes to use, and how much you can "over-provision" the panel.

Generally, anything under 50 feet won't have significant voltage sag if the wire is sized properly.

miimura said:
You need to have an electrician do the load calcs for you. When deciding what load can be added to an electrical panel, it doesn't matter how much you actually use on other circuits and when. The Electrical Code has its own rules for how to determine what wire and circuit breaker sizes to use, and how much you can "over-provision" the panel.

Generally, anything under 50 feet won't have significant voltage sag if the wire is sized properly.

Well, an electrical contractor did the calcs, and using the "modified" tab, he came up, as is, with a load of 32 amps. We are not sure if the incoming wire is 2 gauge or 4 gauge, I sent him pictures of where it comes into the box, hopefully he can read the label, with the specs on it.

Edit: Cleaned all the dust and crap off the romex, and it's 2 gauge, circa 1985, and the original contractor cheaped out with a 60 amp main circuit breaker, and I can substitute a 100 amp main in it's place. So, 40 amp breaker at the sub panel for 204 will be OK, as will 32 amps for the EV charger load measuring device.

Has anyone used the Gen 2 Siemans Versacharger indoors version? Does 14 feet of cord sound kind of short?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-VersiCharge-Gen-2-30-Amp-Indoor-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-Hard-Wired-Install-Version-with-14-ft-Cord-VC30GRYHW/205518076?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cBase&gclid=Cj0KEQjwqNiwBRDnq93MioaqtKQBEiQAb7Ezn417bgybyxqW_-GlBg-XR4O0ZVxzkY1CgiIax5gv-uYaAkpy8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back