Not available in PA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverpa

After asking my local VW dealer, I am told that the eGolf won't be available in PA for some time. Anyone know when PA might get the eGolf? After speaking to dealers in neighboring states, it seems that VW is "strongly discouraging" sales to other states (states not in the initial rollout).

I didn't think that PA was a ZEV state. So that may be the reason, BUT you could pick it up at a Neighbor state ;)

If you are buying, it's no problem. I live in Washington State, but purchased my e-Golf in Oregon.
If you are only interested in a lease, you must register the car in the state where the car is purchased.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a ZEV state? I have been driving a Nissan LEAF for three years in PA.

Simple google will show you , but here you go .

http://www.c2es.org/us-states-regions/policy-maps/zev-program

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1088239_eight-states-with-big-zev-plans-meet-with-automakers-feds

neverpa said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a ZEV state? I have been driving a Nissan LEAF for three years in PA.

The Nissan Leaf is available nationwide. The eGolf is only available in select states (for now). I suspect this will change in the near future as they work out the bugs and build up knowledgeable sales/repair staff.

We live in PA and bought the e-Golf in NJ (Cherry Hill). Paid MSRP, you pay PA Sales Tax upon registration. You cannot qualify for the lease offer - only for purchasing the vehicle due to the inability (VW unwillingness) of getting the $7,500 tax credit on the lease outside any of the 10 approved states VW sells the e-Golf. You can only get the car serviced at a dealership in one of the 10 states it is for sale (so not your local PA dealer, until they start selling in PA, which could be 2015, 2016, 2017....) VW is not making a ton of profit on these cars in the US at the moment, so they are not motivated to push this harder than they have to (and VW will want to push more of the plugin GOLF GTE than the e-GOLF i suspect in the long run)...

I got a $2,000 rebate check from PA in the mail yesterday (which does count as taxable income), but it helps on top of the $7,500 federal tax credit we'll claim for 2014

We are super psyched about the car, having driven it for 2 months, 1600 miles so far. Let me know if you have any questions?

This is the response I got from VW:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for contacting us about the 2015 E Golf. The E Golf will be available for purchase in the Partial Zero Emissions States only. Those states include California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington D.C, and Vermont. Thank you again for contacting Volkswagen.

Brent H.
VolkTalk

It makes sense that the service has to be done at the dealers selling the cars. My dealer had to send both his sales and service personnel away for specialized training on the car. VW is playing it safe waiting to see how demand goes before rolling out to the other states, but I expect it will be longer coming than most think.

I'm of the opinion they're losing money on the volumes it appears they're going to sell, at least for a few years, this even after being subsidized by the huge volumes from the gas platform. I think it's a really neat car and a lot of car for the money, especially after the 7500 credit

Ron

I know you're right Ron about training. My dealership said they'd sent two sales and two service personnel to specialized training and when I needed to take my car back for an issue, it had to wait a day until a trained tech was in the shop.

This could be an issue for me as I'm considering a move that would take me to a non-PZEV state. Although the neighboring state is selling the e-Golf, with a 80 mile range, it's not practical to take it to a different state if it needs service. I really like the car, but if I move, it looks like I'd have to sell it. :cry:

neverpa said:
After asking my local VW dealer, I am told that the eGolf won't be available in PA for some time. Anyone know when PA might get the eGolf? After speaking to dealers in neighboring states, it seems that VW is "strongly discouraging" sales to other states (states not in the initial rollout).

I see listing of eGolf on the web at local dealer sites in PA. Does that mean it is being offered now?

I just purchased a 2015 sell with only 8000 miles from carMax in king of Prussia used e-golfs are available in Pennsylvania. My local VW dealer says he can do the services. Now the challenge is to find EVSE I can access.

Kayakrn said:
I just purchased a 2015 sell with only 8000 miles from carMax in king of Prussia used e-golfs are available in Pennsylvania. My local VW dealer says he can do the services. Now the challenge is to find EVSE I can access.
Plugshare.com is your new best friend.

Kayakrn said:

You install a 14-50 NEMA 240V 50 amp outlet where you live, so you can plug in at home. Then you buy a suitable EVSE station for home use. Mooching electrons and using public chargers, I've found, it a terrible way to have to recharge durng travel

plug share shows a few EVSE where I could use them, nothing strategically located that i could drive an hour and a half then charge and return home. for my present commuting the range is perfect and i have ample time to recharge from home with a level one, until i find a good level 2.

Back