Features I'd like;

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acdcvw

I'd like to be able to lock my doors and roll the windows up and down with the app. Hate when I check in to see how my charge is going before going to bed only for it to tell me that I've left a window or 4 down. That's greats thanks for the info, now how about rolling them up for me? Ditto with the door locks.

I couldn't agree more. How can they not have "lock"? Amazing.
Windows up/down would certainly be appreciated in rainy climates.
It all should certainly be doable, as Car-Net already communicates with the Comfort Control Module.

I would also like to see either a way to remotely unlock just the charge port, or be able to set it to unlock automatically when it reaches full charge.

While we're talking about app unlock - did you know that when you unlock the doors with the app, the outer charge port door does not unlock? Not only that, but you can get in the car, lock and unlock the doors with the buttons on the front doors and the "fuel door" still does not unlock! You have to have the fob to access the charge port after the car has been locked. I can't imagine the logic that went into that decision...

Are you serious on the charge port unlock? You sound serious, but that just sounds absurd.

PMC2015 said:
Are you serious on the charge port unlock? You sound serious, but that just sounds absurd.
I'm not kidding. Try it yourself. Remember, this is the body colored flap outside to access the charge port. The lock that acts on the J1772 handle is a separate issue.

I'd also like to be notified when the car is fully charged just like the ChargePoint EVSEs do. With public charging at work on a Clipper Creek i have to actively checking the app to see if it's done yet and have inadvertently lost track of time and hogged the charger even after fully charged. An email, text or app notification would be helpful in following charging etiquette.

To echo others' comments, you should definitely be able to set a charger port (un)lock preference - always locked, always unlocked or unlock when charging is complete.

Newly Minted EV Leasee

Just chiming in with a 'me too' with the very small hope that someone who can do something about this at VW actually visits this forum to see how their customers are using and reacting to their cars.

Wishlist:

- user-selectable preference of the J1772 locking "feature"— always lock, always unlocked, and unlock when charge complete

- remote control of windows- up and down. My e-Golf is in a garage when at home and work, but there have been times when I wish I could have controlled the windows when parked elsewhere.

- REMOTE LOCKING of the doors. I can see someone in a meeting somewhere imaging all of the possible horrific outcomes of remote locking and the resulting legal headaches making a case for not including this feature... Actually, I can't imagine that. It seems like a silly oversight- please make it so.

I really don't see the logic to locking the charge flap at all. It's not as if someone could "siphon" electricity out of it. GM gave up on locking the charge door on the Volt in 2014, if memory serves.

miimura said:
While we're talking about app unlock - did you know that when you unlock the doors with the app, the outer charge port door does not unlock? Not only that, but you can get in the car, lock and unlock the doors with the buttons on the front doors and the "fuel door" still does not unlock! You have to have the fob to access the charge port after the car has been locked. I can't imagine the logic that went into that decision...

My car, a May 2015 build SEL, does not behave this way. When the driver side door is unlocked, the charge port door is unlocked also, just gently push it in, and it releases, pops out, and opens up. All VW's have been like this for 20+ years, since at least my 1996 Passat TDI.

JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

My car, a May 2015 build SEL, does not behave this way. When the driver side door is unlocked, the charge port door is unlocked also, just gently push it in, and it releases, pops out, and opens up. All VW's have been like this for 20+ years, since at least my 1996 Passat TDI.
All I can say is what happened on my car that one time that I unlocked the car with the app. The outer charge port door flap did not unlock that time. When you unlock the car normally with the key fob button or the keyless entry it always unlocks.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
miimura said:

All I can say is what happened on my car that one time that I unlocked the car with the app. The outer charge port door flap did not unlock that time. When you unlock the car normally with the key fob button or the keyless entry it always unlocks.

My mistake, I misunderstood how you were unlocking the door. Haven't tried the car-net app myself.

Features I would like:

-Change the departure time to "start charging" time. Keep it simple. It turns off by itself anyways.
-add a countdown timer on the dash and carnet app that shows time remaining until charging starts when in delayed charge mode.
-add a "full charge at "8:00pm" on carnet. Sure you can count hours but why should you.
-add total kWh used on carnet with export functions to analyze your data.
-add homelink buttons for garage openers
-better audio system options
-show actual battery percentage number on dash and carnet

Great car just ways to make it better.

Sptgolf said:
Features I would like:

-Change the departure time to "start charging" time. Keep it simple. It turns off by itself anyways.
-add a countdown timer on the dash and carnet app that shows time remaining until charging starts when in delayed charge mode.
-add a "full charge at "8:00pm" on carnet. Sure you can count hours but why should you.
-add total kWh used on carnet with export functions to analyze your data.
-add homelink buttons for garage openers
-better audio system options
-show actual battery percentage number on dash and carnet

Great car just ways to make it better.
I want this too.

formerdieselrumbler said:
- REMOTE LOCKING of the doors. I can see someone in a meeting somewhere imaging all of the possible horrific outcomes of remote locking and the resulting legal headaches making a case for not including this feature... Actually, I can't imagine that. It seems like a silly oversight- please make it so.
My carnet app allows remote locking. Are you guys missing the digital remote fob in the manage section or do you know that you can click on those lock/unlock buttons and have them work on the car?

I've programmed my car through VCDS to roll the windows up/down with the keyfob, but there isn't any way that I see to hold down the lock button in the app (you click it and then confirm you want to lock/unlock) so it won't work when I'm out of range.

A few things on my mind as I am in month 4 of EV ownership.

• Battery capacity shown as % and kW, not just "estimated range" and not just an analog battery meter that's hard to read.
  • Ability to recognize Off-Peak hours for charging, and the ability to prioritize that over charging to full, which will help for folks who have inconsistent driving ranges and only L1 charging. (eg: drive 10 miles MWF, but 50 miles T+TH = can't charge to full on T+TH nights, but plenty of hours left on WF to make up for it)
  • An easy way to view charge time estimates, instead of me having to do the math, eg:
    battery = 80%, 17.6kW left
    time to full = <1 hour on fast, ~1.5 hours on 220V, ~4.5 hours on 110V
  • Overall speed increase of the car-net app. Configuration changes should save in less than 5 seconds, not a minute+.
  • Speed increase of the CarPlay app starting. I'm 1-2 minutes into my commute before it starts up with the home screen.
  • Prioritize the Backup Camera over anything else when in Reverse. When I was backing out of my garage, the Infotainment system came on-line, found the iPhone, stopped displaying the rear camera, and went ahead with firing up the CarPlay app.
  • Customizable duration on CarNet's horn and/or light alert. Most times, a single honk will do, but if I choose "honk", it will honk for a full minute.

sodakar said:
A few things on my mind as I am in month 4 of EV ownership.

• Battery capacity shown as % and kW, not just "estimated range" and not just an analog battery meter that's hard to read.
  • You can get this if you know the "secret" way. How can I see my e-Golf's actual battery percentage?
    sodakar said:
    [*] An easy way to view charge time estimates, instead of me having to do the math, eg:
    battery = 80%, 17.6kW left
    time to full = <1 hour on fast, ~1.5 hours on 220V, ~4.5 hours on 110V
    If you look at the small screen in the center of the instrument panel while it's charging, it will give you a time estimate to finish the current charging session. There are too many power variations for "fast charger" and L2 charging stations to provide meaningful information the way you laid it out.

Good points, as always.

I should have clarified that I would like to see the battery percentage in the vehicle's display. While the car-net view has been handy, 50% of the time, I'm parked underground, where I get no signal, so I have no means to view my battery life via the app. It's not a huge deal, but considering I've always displayed mobile signal in dBm vs "bars" and battery life as a percentage instead of bars for my other gadgets, it would be nice to see numbers on the EV battery life.

Regarding the estimated charge times, the ETA once plugged in is nice, but my hope was that I could see those numbers as I pondered my plug-in options. Admittedly, the display wouldn't be terribly clean, given the numerous charge options, and in hindsight, this isn't a great suggestion, as it's a feature request that implies the car is not suited for the driver's needs if they're having to figure out charge times -- ideally, one would have a sufficient charge rate that moderate downtime (sleep) would provide enough of a charge.

I think every plug in car should come with a smart phone notification alarm to notify you that you are finished charging, especially at public charging facilities, so you can go move your car, so that the refilling station is available to someone else that really needs it, since you don't need it any more. It's a refueling/recharging station, not a parking spot.

JoulesThief said:
I think every plug in car should come with a smart phone notification alarm to notify you that you are finished charging, especially at public charging facilities, so you can go move your car, so that the refilling station is available to someone else that really needs it, since you don't need it any more. It's a refueling/recharging station, not a parking spot.
Most 'filling stations' such as Chargepoint and Blink already do that for you.

Back