What Fast Charger to get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone, I would like to see if anyone can help me by recommending what kind of Home charger to get. I have a 2016 egolf premium, so it has the 7.2 kw on board charger. Am looking for the fastest one possible under $800. Thanks for the help.

Before anybody can recommend an EVSE (what you call the "charger") you need to know what is the largest load your current electrical service can handle, which might require a consultation from an electrician. If you want to charge your eGolf at the full 7.2 kW speed, you will need a 30 amp EVSE, but that will require a 40 amp circuit. If you have an older home with only a 100 amp panel, you may not have the capacity for a 40 amp circuit. Even a 20 amp one might be too much.

If you have an unused 240 volt outlet (such as for a clothes dryer) of less than 40 amps, it may be more economical to re-use that and put up with a longer charging time than to have it re-wired for 40 amps. Even at 16 amps, a fully depleted eGolf will be fully charged in 8 hours.

Also, in the EV world, "fast" charging generally refers to 400+ volt DC charging, the kind that lets many current EV's charge to 80% capacity in 30 minutes or less. Sometimes this is called "Level 3" or "L3" charging. L1 is 100-120 volt, L2 is 200-240 volt.

It's also important to do your homework on electrical capabilities within your home or place that you live, before you go out and buy a BEV. I'd consider it common sense.

If you own your home, you can attempt to do some shifting around of appliances to "make room" for an EVSE.

If you have natural gas or propane service, then switching out an electric dryer, oven and/or range might be enough to make it work.

Of course, natural gas piping is an even bigger hassle than electrical wiring, so YMMV there. But (and now we're drifting off-topic) I've used both and gas dryers and gas ranges are much better than their electric equivalents (gas ovens, however... not so much).

Back