Latest firmware update....no eco, eco, OFF ROAD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preilly44

So my VW was in service for 18 days while they tried to fix my heat (or lack there of) issue. While it was there they updated all the firmware and now when I press the "eco" button it goes from no eco to eco to "off road". When you click info under off road it is blank.

Did VW screw something up with the software, did VW of Bethesda, MD screw something up or do I have an off road E-Golf now?

Patrick

Doesn't seem right

http://en.volkswagen.com/en/innovation-and-technology/technical-glossary/offroad-modus.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/03/volkswagen-debuting-diesel-off-road-hybrid-concept/1
(last paragraph)

preilly44 said:
So my VW was in service for 18 days while they tried to fix my heat (or lack there of) issue. While it was there they updated all the firmware and now when I press the "eco" button it goes from no eco to eco to "off road". When you click info under off road it is blank.

Did VW screw something up with the software, did VW of Bethesda, MD screw something up or do I have an off road E-Golf now?

Patrick
Wow did they screw that up, that's available in the Touraeg

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2014-vw-touareg-tdi-loves-snow-and-splashes-in-off-roa-1519655042

Just a quick update, they still have the car. They said they spoke to VW USA and had no luck. Now they are replacing the radio (waiting for the new radio to come in). I love the car but hate VW service.

That's a sad state, but not unexpected. It's the job of the software developers to make the updates work only with the proper hardware, and in this case it looks like they didn't and probably rendered the hardware unable to process a new update. Service is doing the only thing it can which is to replace the hardware with a known version that has the correct software.

Blame the software folks, this car has numerous firmware bugs. It's funny to me, being a computer guy since the 80's to see cars become essentially a laptop on wheels. At this point the OS is a critical piece of equipment and the car can't run without it.

Geoff

preilly44 said:
Just a quick update, they still have the car. They said they spoke to VW USA and had no luck. Now they are replacing the radio (waiting for the new radio to come in). I love the car but hate VW service.

So I tried to have them fix the Radio preset and they said, yea we found a TSB for it. They applied TSB 91-15-07. Well... guess what They made my car Offroad too. SOB's....

Any how, I wanted to ask you what was your fix because I'm heading back to the dealer. Or if it has been resolved?

and for the others.. Don't let them apply that TSB I noted above.

They still have the car. They are replacing the radio and the SIM card (not sure why they have to do that). Hopefully that fixes it. They have had the car since 12/22.

preilly44 said:
They still have the car. They are replacing the radio and the SIM card (not sure why they have to do that). Hopefully that fixes it. They have had the car since 12/22.

Well I got my car back today. I only got it back because, you guessed it, it too is getting replaced. Or in the Workorder, it mentions that a "control module" needs to be replaced.

Also, did you notice that the sonar sensor graphics was gone too?

Just to update the thread, VW still has the car. They've had it since 12/22 and don't expect the part to come in until 2/13 at the earliest. This is crazy that over 13 months, my E-Golf has been in VW Service for over 3 months (over 4 visits). We love the car but VW needs to learn how to service them and be able to get parts much faster.

preilly44 said:
Just to update the thread, VW still has the car. They've had it since 12/22 and don't expect the part to come in until 2/13 at the earliest. This is crazy that over 13 months, my E-Golf has been in VW Service for over 3 months (over 4 visits). We love the car but VW needs to learn how to service them and be able to get parts much faster.
1) I hope they gave you a rental car that is equal to your egolf

2) If not, did you call VW Corprate and ask them for a buyback plan?

preilly44 said:

Maybe it's time to have yours lemon lawed out. Find out what your states requirements are to do so.

Thanks, I spoke to VW of America last week requesting to have the vehicle replaced with a 2016 or to buy back the car. My car was purchased in late December 2014 and I am guessing it must have been an early car off the line before the bugs were worked out. I am hoping to hear back tomorrow with a decision from VWA.

If they deny my request I will tell them about this MD Lemon law: "The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem".

What's the update on this?

At this point, I'm tempted to say you're being too accommodating. It might be worth it to pay an attorney $100 bucks or so to have them call VW in regards to the Lemon Law.

Yesterday, VW of America called and said they are still reviewing my request to swap my car out for 2016 which hopefully won't have these issue or get me out of my lease and I'll lease another one. This was the third time they've told me they need more time to review the case. This time they said the regional manager wants to go to the dealership to look at my vehicle and talk to the service manager about the issues I've had over the last 13 months. So he wants them to keep the car until he can come "probably sometime next week but I don't really know how often or when he goes there."

Today, VW of Bethesda told me the car is ready. This is the third time they've told me the car is ready when it hasn't been over the last 51 days that the car has been in service (since 12/22/15). I have owned the car for 411 days and it has been in Bethesda Service for 69 days, or 17% of the time I've owned it.

I'm really frustrated that they feel the need to send a regional manager to the service center. I told them it isn't going to change the past and him looking at my car isn't going to stop it from having these issues in the future.

This morning VW of Bethesda called and said the car is ready to be picked up. They didn't know anything about the regional manager coming so I called VW of A and left a voicemail for my CSR.

I'll give them until next week before I contact an attorney. My concern is that it may not qualify for the lemon law because VW Service kept closing out the ticket and opening new ones even though it is all related to the same issue. The MD lemon law states "The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem."

This is so frustrating. I understand I'm an early adopter and I have to expect some issues but this is well beyond that in my mind.

preilly44 said:
Yesterday, VW of America called and said they are still reviewing my request to swap my car out for 2016 which hopefully won't have these issue or get me out of my lease and I'll lease another one. This was the third time they've told me they need more time to review the case. This time they said the regional manager wants to go to the dealership to look at my vehicle and talk to the service manager about the issues I've had over the last 13 months. So he wants them to keep the car until he can come "probably sometime next week but I don't really know how often or when he goes there."

Today, VW of Bethesda told me the car is ready. This is the third time they've told me the car is ready when it hasn't been over the last 51 days that the car has been in service (since 12/22/15). I have owned the car for 411 days and it has been in Bethesda Service for 69 days, or 17% of the time I've owned it.

I'm really frustrated that they feel the need to send a regional manager to the service center. I told them it isn't going to change the past and him looking at my car isn't going to stop it from having these issues in the future.

This morning VW of Bethesda called and said the car is ready to be picked up. They didn't know anything about the regional manager coming so I called VW of A and left a voicemail for my CSR.

I'll give them until next week before I contact an attorney. My concern is that it may not qualify for the lemon law because VW Service kept closing out the ticket and opening new ones even though it is all related to the same issue. The MD lemon law states "The vehicle could not be used for 30 days or more during its warranty period (24 months or 18,000 miles) because of a problem."

This is so frustrating. I understand I'm an early adopter and I have to expect some issues but this is well beyond that in my mind.

Dealing with VW is frustrating. Stand fast, don't wait, get an attorney today, the sooner the better. When VW loses money due to their lack of training, or dishonest dealerships, perhaps they'll fix the problem when it gets expensive enough to do so.

They will test your patience, they move slow as molasses. Stand firm. Go pick your car up, document everything, test everything before you drive it off the lot. if it doesn't work, leave it there and reopen another ticket. Don't pick it up at night, pick it up in the morning or on your lunch break, and check everything out in daylight. Ask to talk to the technician personally that worked on your car for a complete explanation what was fixed and how, not the Service Writer. Hear it straight from the horses mouth and document it. It's unfortunate that you have to play their game, but that's the way it goes. I'd ask them to make payments on your lease also, while you didn't have use of the car.

At this point, I'd just flat out tell them you and your wife no longer trust the car to work as intended or designed, and that you want out of it. Set up their expectations that you want either a later made higher serial number 2015 to finish the lease, or a 2016 of like contents, to make you whole. Point out that they really don't need all of this going on after dieselgate with them either, and you'd be glad to share with others on Facebook your experiences with Volkswagen, it's up to them in how it gets written up with the facts.

I advise against waiting, too. I'm not trying to get you riled up against them but you've been exceedingly patient and the law is there to protect you from this kind of unfortunate occurrence. An attorney becomes your spokesperson so you can finally sleep at night without wondering when you are going to call, who you need to call, what needs to be said, etc. I'm not saying you need to go off on someone half-cocked and start threatening to sue or anything, but getting a spokesperson to act on your behalf and get some action (and likely get you resolution via your state's Lemon Law protections) and if it's for less than a few hundred bucks for an hour of an attorney's time vs. how much is *your* time worth?

It reminds me of the time my wife took her bug into the dealership to have an A/C repair estimate and a tech broke the hood latch handle and just set it on the pin. She got home and I went to check everything out because I'm not particularly trusting of dealerships. When I tried to pop the hood, the latch came off in my hand! My wife went back to the service dept. the next day and they tried to tell her their tech would never break something without saying anything because they have some policy that they'd replace it, then the service manager got involved, then after he basically called my wife a liar to her face I called the general manager and had a long talk with him. But the bottom line of the whole event was that with all the techs, supervisors, managers, my wife, and myself standing around and on the phone this particular VW dealership was wasting hundreds of dollars of labor per hour just to deal with a 10 dollar part. I have the luxury of wasting my own time as I see fit, but most sane people do not and will not. Sometimes these dealerships will beat you into the ground for no rhyme or reason.

In any case, I just hope you don't waste too much of your energy, time, and money on this issue because I think you've allowed for a resolution far beyond what they could reasonably expect.

Thanks for the replies and advise. The VW of America rep said they needed 7-10 business days to get things figured out. I told them they keep delaying the process and I would give them until this coming Friday to resolve the issue to my satisfaction.

I picked up the car on Friday after they had it for 51 days (12/22-2/12) and everything finally seems to be working correctly. I still want it replaced after all the issues I've had with it. When I left the dealership the service manager said he already spoke to the regional VW rep who is supposed to review my car's service records and he said he recommended the car being replaced with a 2016 model that hopefully had the bugs worked out. He said hopefully the next time I see you, you are here to pick up your new car. I hope is he right.

I forgot what a great car it is to drive after not having it for so long. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for your support.

Back