2018 Gen 8 e-Golf to have 186 real mile range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/2018-volkswagen-e-golf-to-have-186-miles-of-real-world-range/

Volkswagen’s CEO Dr. Herbert Diess has already given tentative approval to the next generation Golf, even as a face-lifted version of the current generation is due out later this year. In the wake of dieselgate, Volkswagen is working hard on zero-emissions battery electric and plug-in hybrid versions of the Golf 8th generation.

The e-Golf will use the MEB architecture platform and will use a 48-volt on-board power supply that will also be used in the Golf GTE.

“The current e-Golf is 190 kilometers [118 miles] of range on paper and about 120 kilometers [75 miles] in the real world, the Golf VIII e-Golf will have 300 kilometers [186 miles] of real-world range – genuinely 300 kilometers. ”
– Volkswagen Group small car development leader Dr. Jocham Böhle

The next generation Golf family will arrive in late 2018, likely as a 2019 model year. The electric version e-Golf, and plug-in hybrid Golf GTE will arrive soon after that.

VW is generally a year (or more) late with their models coming to the US, so if this is coming out in Germany in late 2018, don't expect this car here in the US before MY 2020.

RonDawg said:
VW is generally a year (or more) late with their models coming to the US, so if this is coming out in Germany in late 2018, don't expect this car here in the US before MY 2020.

Depends on what EPA and CARB have to mete out to VW to repair damages from TDI's. If VW offers to sell 30k or 50k Electric cars per year in CA to offset carbon or NOX credits... key words, VW has to offer it, well, VW will be competing for e-Car dollars. And a car with clean aerodynamics and some increased range would make customers and CARB very happy.

It's my belief that 200 mile range EV's are going to change the landscape and compete heavily in bigger city markets, where charging infrastructure is getting in place and being built out. There is a race and some severe competition to stay competitive in the EV market, a lot of $$$ and Euro's are at stake.

VW already has an electric car to meet any CARB or EPA requirements for ZEVs. It's called the MkVII eGolf and most of us on this forum have one. They'll just do like they have done in the past and offer the "old" body style in the US after they stopped selling it in Europe.

VW has been late to market in the US ever since the Mk1 Golf (Rabbit). It came out in Europe in 1974, we didn't get it until 1975. MkII came out in 1983 in Europe, 1984 in the US. MkIII came out in 1991, US didn't get that car until 1993. MkIV came out in late 1997, we didn't get it until MY1999. MkV was the longest delayed: Europe got that in 2003, we didn't get it until MY 2006. I was driving a rented MkVI Golf TDI in September 2009 in Germany but we didn't get that version until the following year. Finally, the MkVII came out in 2014, the 40th anniversary of the Golf; however we didn't get it until 2015 as the 40th anniversary of the first Rabbit.

Given that NONE of the Golf generations showed up on our shores the same year as they have in Europe, I don't expect MkVIII to be any different.

RonDawg said:
VW already has an electric car to meet any CARB or EPA requirements for ZEVs. It's called the MkVII eGolf and most of us on this forum have one. They'll just do like they have done in the past and offer the "old" body style in the US after they stopped selling it in Europe.

VW has been late to market in the US ever since the Mk1 Golf (Rabbit). It came out in Europe in 1974, we didn't get it until 1975. MkII came out in 1983 in Europe, 1984 in the US. MkIII came out in 1991, US didn't get that car until 1993. MkIV came out in late 1997, we didn't get it until MY1999. MkV was the longest delayed: Europe got that in 2003, we didn't get it until MY 2006. I was driving a rented MkVI Golf TDI in September 2009 in Germany but we didn't get that version until the following year. Finally, the MkVII came out in 2014, the 40th anniversary of the Golf; however we didn't get it until 2015 as the 40th anniversary of the first Rabbit.

Given that NONE of the Golf generations showed up on our shores the same year as they have in Europe, I don't expect MkVIII to be any different.

It's no different than Tesla bringing new models out and only delivering them as beta testers close the factory, and the inventory of spare parts. Which is why the West Coast will be delivered their model 3 first. Beta testers, all of them. Close by so technicians can fix it, hopefully quickly. For VW, overnighting parts from Germany is expensive, they want a first year debug to hopefully get the parts production for problematic parts changed fixed before bringing to areas other than Continental Europe.

JoulesThief said:
For VW, overnighting parts from Germany is expensive, they want a first year debug to hopefully get the parts production for problematic parts changed fixed before bringing to areas other than Continental Europe.

Overnighting parts from Japan or Korea isn't cheap either, yet that doesn't seem to stop manufacturers from those countries introducing cars here at the same time as back home.

As far as weeding out "problematic parts" being the excuse for the delays, but sorry anybody with a 1st gen TFSI motor whose HPFP cam lobe was deeply scored in less than 60k miles will tell you otherwise.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

Depends on what EPA and CARB have to mete out to VW to repair damages from TDI's. If VW offers to sell 30k or 50k Electric cars per year in CA to offset carbon or NOX credits... key words, VW has to offer it, well, VW will be competing for e-Car dollars. And a car with clean aerodynamics and some increased range would make customers and CARB very happy.

It's my belief that 200 mile range EV's are going to change the landscape and compete heavily in bigger city markets, where charging infrastructure is getting in place and being built out. There is a race and some severe competition to stay competitive in the EV market, a lot of $$$ and Euro's are at stake.

I agree -- and VW had better not miss the boat on this because there are probably many current e-Golf lessees who, like me, have deposits on the Tesla Model III. If VW wants to stay competitive in the US, it needs to release its high range EV at least at the same time as Model III. Otherwise it will have to fight Tesla, Bolt, BYD, and goodness knows what else. I do hope VW will step up; I am very, very happy with my 2016 e-Golf SE.

That would be a bit late, I think. Speculating about the range of the future vehicle is problematic, to say the least.

Coming a year earlier than expected?

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-186-mile-e-golf-will-launch-end-of-this-year-or-early-next/

Sptgolf said:
Coming a year earlier than ex, itpected?

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-186-mile-e-golf-will-launch-end-of-this-year-or-early-next/

Wow! Totally explains why VW is holding back on 2016 e-Golfs at dealerships keeping inventory tight, and doesn't want to get hung out to dry with them on dealership lots. That's about a 56% increase in range.

Damn, I am going to have to sit tight on my 2015 I bought or eat my shorts taking a loss to buy a newer one with more range.

It sounds like this "300 km" eGolf is really the (safely) 100 mile eGolf we were expecting for 2017, and not the Chevy Bolt/Leaf 2.0 competitor we originally thought we were going to get.

I agree it would explain the super light inventory levels. A 130-135 mile EPA range would be a significant increase from the current model, but agreed not a Bolt or model 3 competitor assuming those get 200+ Mile EPA ranges. In my 2016 e-Golf (83 EPA range) I can get 90-100 mile range no problem. If we apply the same factor to a 135 mile EPA range then it's quite possible to get a 150-160 mile real world range. Will be interesting this December.

RonDawg said:
It sounds like this "300 km" eGolf is really the (safely) 100 mile eGolf we were expecting for 2017, and not the Chevy Bolt/Leaf 2.0 competitor we originally thought we were going to get.

This version is for the European market. Time will tell if in the USA we see it a model year later or not? VW is always slow to bring new product to the USA. Maybe 2018 year model?

Will it be a case of too little, too late, or will it be competitive? Will VW come around to being more competitive with pricing, compared to other models? $37K for a Golf SEL, regardless of how it's powered, with or without tax incentives and rebates, for the amount of depreciation involved, and cost of replacement batteries, is going to be a hard sell.

I got 98 miles out of my 2015 SEL driving from Santa Ana, CA to Chula Vista, near San Diego. I had a slight tail wind the whole way there, and drove 55 mph most of the way to get it, with nothing but the fan running. The new model, with care, might net me 140 to 150 miles of range between recharges, if driven conservatively. Speed kills your range on these battery cars, then you spend all your time recharging instead of traveling.

A friend in Finance is telling me he's seeing signs of too much being bought on credit again, that perhaps something similar to the economic collapse of 2008 is on the horizon. My credit cards are zeroed out, no balance due. Keeping it lean and mean, these days.

New for 2017, coming soon to a dealership near you. 35.8Kwh battery and 120kw motor, up from 85kw in 2015 and 2016.

http://insideevs.com/2017-volkswagen-e-golf-35-8-kwh-battery-124-miles200km-real-world-range/

Back