Another did I get a good deal thread $206 month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
egolfEr said:
this is a 2016 se. Currently So cal hardly has any cars available.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?feedSegId=28705&rpp=50&alMkId=20089&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&stkTypId=28880&PMmt=1-1-0&zc=90210&rd=150&mdId=56107&mkId=20089&fuelTypeId=38745&searchSource=SORT_NEW&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-fuelTypeId&pgId=2102&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=location&sf2Dir=ASC

Enter your zip code here http://www.vw.com/find-a-dealer/?&cid=ssem_AdXiPmTF_SITELINK_c

After you enter your zip, zoom out to a larger area of southern california, and press the recalculate button. You'll see every dealership in Southern California that you can link to their site and check their inventory in stock for new e-Golfs. Plenty of 2015's still for sale, probably a lot less money than the 2016's and with the good 7.2 KWh feature and level 3 CCS charging feature.

McKenna VW in Cerritos, CA has a large selection of 2015's still in stock. Find someone there that can give you a great price and maybe make a deal. If they won't deal, look elsewhere.

I just wanted to add my experience.

Lease a 2016 e-Golf SE
$3800 out the door with monthly payments at $86 (includes taxes). State rebate is $2500, so really just $1300 out of pocket.
10,000 annual miles, 36 month lease.

Our local VW had a deal going for $59 a month (plus taxes), and $4200 out the door.

RE: Post subject: Re: Another did I get a good deal thread $206 month Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

Based on my research (disclaimer: I am not a good negotiator), the best deal for egolf SE I can get in the SF bay area is $110 average cost per month for 36 months ($3960 out of pocket cost for 36 months). This is after all tax, fees, CA rebate and etc. 10k miles / year.

There are more dealers willing to do $120 x 36 months. They quote different combinations of downpayment and monthly payments, but the end result is pretty much the same when you are looking at the total cost.

If you are a non-VW owner, it is easier to get the lower quote, because the conquest rebate is $1500.

VW loyalty rebate was $2000 in Sep, $1500 in Oct/Nov and $1000 in Dec, so the deals reported on this site back then was much better ...

Here comes the rumor from the dealer (nobody believes them anyway):
* Future shipments of SE will be equipped with the faster DC charger which will increase the price.
* VW will decrease the rebate, seeing the sales of egolf going crazy.

===================================
Can you please say which SF Bay Area dealer you got this deal?

nswartzb said:
RE: Post subject: Re: Another did I get a good deal thread $206 month Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 am

Based on my research (disclaimer: I am not a good negotiator), the best deal for egolf SE I can get in the SF bay area is $110 average cost per month for 36 months ($3960 out of pocket cost for 36 months). This is after all tax, fees, CA rebate and etc. 10k miles / year.

There are more dealers willing to do $120 x 36 months. They quote different combinations of downpayment and monthly payments, but the end result is pretty much the same when you are looking at the total cost.

If you are a non-VW owner, it is easier to get the lower quote, because the conquest rebate is $1500.

VW loyalty rebate was $2000 in Sep, $1500 in Oct/Nov and $1000 in Dec, so the deals reported on this site back then was much better ...

Here comes the rumor from the dealer (nobody believes them anyway):
* Future shipments of SE will be equipped with the faster DC charger which will increase the price.
* VW will decrease the rebate, seeing the sales of egolf going crazy.

===================================
Can you please say which SF Bay Area dealer you got this deal?

TDI owner loyalty was $2000 through October. I got a $2000 rebate on mine on October 6th.

I am a very happy new owner of a 2016 se. I am amazed with all the promotions on this vehicle, the car is basically free, and based on your situation there are so many other benefits such as saving time with the carpool lane and my work has free charging. When you factor in these other intangible incentives you the car is free and you actually make money;)

Boy.. I'm having buyer's remorse after reading through posts here. I could not find these until today, after I bought he car. This is what I paid:
172/month,2k down, 10k miles, 36 months includes $400 service, $400 dent service. I drove this car home today. Huh? Now how bad was my negotiation? Pls let me know so that I can at least learn something here.

Nenejaja1 said:
Boy.. I'm having buyer's remorse after reading through posts here. I could not find these until today, after I bought he car. This is what I paid:
172/month,2k down, 10k miles, 36 months includes $400 service, $400 dent service. I drove this car home today. Huh? Now how bad was my negotiation? Pls let me know so that I can at least learn something here.
You did perfectly fine.

Your $2,000 down breaks down to $57 per month, your $400 service + $400 dent protection breaks down to $22.85 per month.

If you took the $22.85 off per month and didn't pay a down payment, your payment would be $206.42 per month.

Your total over three years would be $7225 or $4725 after the California rebate, which is normal what everyone is paying. What is your residual value? I'm guessing somewhere between $11,000 and $12,000 and hopefully closer to $11K.

You either do more down and lower payments, or less down and higher payments, but it all works out the same in the end on a lease
The so-called crazy deals of $50-100 per month are with enormous down payments and drive-off fees or deals that evaporate once you sit down at the table (like the mythical "only one VIN at this price" at least one dealer has been pulling on unwitting customers).

I'm more curious about that $400 service package you got. What is it? Is it necessary? My dealership told me the only thing I needed to do was rotate the tires and that I could do that at a tire store, but I'm wondering what I need to do to maintain the drivetrain warranty in the event we decide to buy out our lease (our dealership includes a lifetime drivetrain warranty with all new purchases, but I don't know what if anything would be covered on the eGolf).

bizzle said:
Nenejaja1 said:
You did perfectly fine.

Your $2,000 down breaks down to $57 per month, your $400 service + $400 dent protection breaks down to $22.85 per month.

If you took the $22.85 off per month and didn't pay a down payment, your payment would be $206.42 per month.

Your total over three years would be $7225 or $4725 after the California rebate, which is normal what everyone is paying. What is your residual value? I'm guessing somewhere between $11,000 and $12,000 and hopefully closer to $11K.

You either do more down and lower payments, or less down and higher payments, but it all works out the same in the end on a lease
The so-called crazy deals of $50-100 per month are with enormous down payments and drive-off fees or deals that evaporate once you sit down at the table (like the mythical "only one VIN at this price" at least one dealer has been pulling on unwitting customers).

I'm more curious about that $400 service package you got. What is it? Is it necessary? My dealership told me the only thing I needed to do was rotate the tires and that I could do that at a tire store, but I'm wondering what I need to do to maintain the drivetrain warranty in the event we decide to buy out our lease (our dealership includes a lifetime drivetrain warranty with all new purchases, but I don't know what if anything would be covered on the eGolf).

I was told that battery needs to be checked by a specialized engineer apart from 'other stuff' and it'll add up to ~$600 for services. Maybe that's not true? Anyone else in the forum could probably answer this question. I read somewhere here that 1st service is free and if the car is below 30k at the end of lease, no need to get the last service. So what's remaining is 1 service in between at 20k. Is this correct?

About the other $400, I was offered an option between 'excessive wear and tear' for ~$575 and 'dent coverage' for $400. Chose $400 dent instead of 'excessive wear and tear'.
Problem was that I was given wrong info on hand-off fee at the end of lease where vw charges $350 no matter what at the end if I'm not picking up a new leased car. I was told that if I chose 'excessive wear and tear', i don't have to shell out $350. Just as paranoia, I checked with the finanace guy and he mentioned that that was not true. I was extremely unhappy about the fact that salesman gave me wrong information. So, I chose the dent option instead.

Residual value at end of lease is $12k+.

How is this quote for a 12,000 Miles/Year, 3 year, 36,000 miles lease on 2016 SE:
$2500 Down
$165/Month [35 Payments including taxes]
All fees included.
Residual is .41
CA rebate takes care of my down payment.

Thanks in advance !

nupami said:
How is this quote for a 12,000 Miles/Year, 3 year, 36,000 miles lease on 2016 SE:
$2500 Down
All fees included.
Residual is .41

Thanks in advance !

$2500 / 36 ~= 69 per month
165 + 69 = 234 per month

For a 12,000 miles/year and that you're putting a fair amount down, I think you may be able to get it closer to 150-155 a month. Especially with it being right at the end of the year. But ~234 for 12k miles, that's not bad!

Thanks jmonkfish.

This is what I finally got after negotiating with a couple of dealers:

12K miles per year lease deal on 2016 SE
$1500 Drive off (Including first payment)
$163 Per month (Including Tax)

Total Out of Pocket = 35*$163 + $1500 = $7205 [~$200 Per Month before CA rebate]

$131 final cost per month

jmonkfish said:
nupami said:
$2500 Down
All fees included.
Residual is .41

Thanks in advance !

$2500 / 36 ~= 69 per month
165 + 69 = 234 per month

For a 12,000 miles/year and that you're putting a fair amount down, I think you may be able to get it closer to 150-155 a month. Especially with it being right at the end of the year. But ~234 for 12k miles, that's not bad!

nupami said:
This is what I finally got after negotiating with a couple of dealers:

12K miles per year lease deal on 2016 SE
$1500 Drive off (Including first payment)
$163 Per month (Including Tax)

Total Out of Pocket = 35*$163 + $1500 = $7205 [~$200 Per Month before CA rebate]

$131 final cost per month
~200 per month for 12k mi. 2016 SE is a great dea imol! Well done

In NJ I got $2100 down plus $148/mo for 10000 miles plus 41% residual, including all taxes title etc. and the first service at 10,000 miles. That's $7428 over three years.

enviroweb said:
In NJ I got $2100 down plus $148/mo for 10000 miles plus 41% residual, including all taxes title etc. and the first service at 10,000 miles. That's $7428 over three years.
Was this recent? If so, smoking!
And btw there is no 10k service on a 2016 SE. (I assume you got that.)

forbin404 said:
enviroweb said:
Was this recent? If so, smoking!
And btw there is no service on a 2016 SE. (I assume you got that.)

What's the date of his post?

JoulesThief said:
Bumping this thread for the lookers.
Wasn't sure whether post here or the 'Any new SEL premium deals lately' thread.
...Bump for lookers tipped it

Just pulled the trigger on a 2016 SEL in SoCal. Was it a good deal / a new SEL deal?
I think it looked better going in than it does on the lease agreement. (An age-old story for another thread?)

My Offer Sheet after lurking here a little and fumbling with calculator on leasehackr website:
MSRP: $36,550
Sales Price: $33,888
Fed Tax Incentive: $7,500
VW corp./dealer incentive: $1,500
Down Payment (CARB Rebate): $2,500
Acquisition Fee (upfront): $625
Net Capitalized Cost (approx.): $22388
Residual at 12k miles/year: 41%
Term: 36 mo.
Money Factor: 0.0003
Monthly Payment (pre-tax): $217
Document Fee: $80
License/Registration: $400
Sales Tax: 9.0%
Monthly payment (including tax): $237

Manager came back with:
'Looks close but we can only do...'
Sales Price: $34,498
VW corp./dealer incentive: $1,000
Money Factor: 0.0008
Residual at 7.5k miles/ year: 39% or 40% for 10k miles/year
'The rest looks about right, boils down to $270/mo. for 7.5k miles - $283/mo. for 10k including tax'

What I got (lease agreement numbers):
Sales Price: $34,022.54
Gross Cap seems to include junk fees: $34,721.54 ($699 for what? hmm, have to look into that).
Capitalized Cost Reduction: $11,169.62
Adjusted Capitalized Cost: $23,551.92
Residual Value: $14,620.00
Depreciation, etc.: $8,931.92
Rent Charge (?!): $423.24
Total Base Payments: $9,344.16

Monthly Payment: $282.92

Well, looks like I paid/will pay about $2,800 more than I hoped going in. I think, probably more buried in there...
They're good. Experienced professionals...

Still, I'm happy enough so far. It's an e-Golf, the right color, an SEL premium...!

I welcome opinions, advice, observations, snickering or whatever.

As long as you are happy with the numbers and the car, that is all that matters. I spent about $25,200 in October of 2015 for a 2015 SEL in the color and interior I wanted, here in So Cal, down at Timmons of Long Beach. Got a $2500 rebate check back within a month. Got a $7500 tax credit in March of 2016. So my net cost was $15,200, before taxes, license, fees and registration... about another $2,500 added on, here in the State of CA.

It's all relative. Come in with cash, and a full payment, and good timing, without needing the car, just wanting it, and you are in a better position to negotiate hard for a year old new car.

That "rent charge" is your financing fee. It's similar to a loan origination fee at a bank. It goes to the lessor, not the dealership.

Those don't look like bad numbers, even if they are a bit higher than you expected.

Back