Green car? Time to switch to green power, too!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlaituri

Just leased a 2015 SEL in MA and switched our power provider from Nstar to Green Mountain Energy - price per kw was about the same, but it's 100% wind-generated. Don't know how many people know you can switch your power provider (at least in MA) or that there are renewable options out there to choose from.

A car powered by wind, how cool is that!

http://www.greenmountainenergy.com

dlaituri said:
Just leased a 2015 SEL in MA and switched our power provider from Nstar to Green Mountain Energy - price per kw was about the same, but it's 100% wind-generated. Don't know how many people know you can switch your power provider (at least in MA) or that there are renewable options out there to choose from.

Wish I could but SoCal doesn't give you a choice for power (Except for Solar and my place is way to small for that)

Buyer beware... I switched when NSTAR rates went up last year to a 100% renewable provider. When the 6 month teaser rate expired it went up way higher than NSTAR and there was no way to know in advance what their market rate was going to be. No reminder that the six month fixed rate was ending, no advance notice of what the new rate would be.
"Competitive" suppliers are good in theory, but I've gone back to NSTAR

I've gone through a few different suppliers in NY. There are times that I've beat the local electric company rates, and there are times I've paid more. The only consistent-- 100% renewable. I'm willing to pay a little more for that, so my satisfaction ranges from estatic to satisfied.

I prefer Conoco Phillips brand diesel fuel for all 3 of my Clean Diesel TDI's. Green biodiesel wrecks the injectors and fuel pumps, can't stand the heat generated before breaking down inside the injectors and corroding them. I feel better knowing I get more miles per gallon out of a gallon of Conoco brand diesel fuel, more miles per gallon of water and NO byproduct produced.

dlaituri said:

Very cool, so is having a solar tracker system https://www.allearthrenewables.com/product/allearth-solar-products
that generates all the power we use and we own it. We haven't had an electricity bill since installing one last summer.
Now all our local driving is solar powered too unless we decide to go for a fun spin in our MX-5.

Simultaneous to leasing my eGolf I installed 5kW of solar panels on my roof -- enough to power the house and the car.

Then I went out and bought a custom license plate frame that says: e-Rabbit / Powered by the Sun.

preilly44 said:
We just turned on our 19.25kw system a couple months ago. We love it! Go solar!!!
That's quite a large system, are you running a geothermal heat pump?
We just had our biggest day of production yesterday, 70+ kwh

Rsolaregolf said:
preilly44 said:
We just turned on our 19.25kw system a couple months ago. We love it! Go solar!!!
That's quite a large system, are you running a geothermal heat pump?
We just had our biggest day of production yesterday, 70+ kwh

No geothermal yet. I'm trying to convince the wife to make the switch before the credits expire this year (assuming they didn't get renewed).

We have two electric cars and a somewhat large house so we use a lot of electricity.

Last Fall I installed an 8.6 Kw rooftop solar system. Winters are cloudy and the days are short, but since April I've produced more than enough to power the house and the car, and am "banking" the extra with the power company through net metering. I'm not yet sure if I can get through next winter with the surplus I'm building up this summer, but it's still a huge step towards zero emissions!

Back