Do 12 volt loads reduce driving range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffy

From what I understand, the traction battery is used only to propel the car and operate the A/C and Heat; all the other loads (lights, fan, heated seats, infotainment system, ......etc.) operate off the 12 volt battery. I've also heard that the 12 volt battery is NOT charged from the traction battery, but instead from the main charger when the car is being charged.

So if that in fact is the case, it would follow that using any of the electrics in the car, other than A/C or heat, would not affect the range. Does anybody know if this is correct?

Thanks!

Interesting, never heard this before for the Egolf.

That sounds more like something like a Prius which has an ICE engine.

The high voltage battery charges the 12v battery. In general running most of the accessories( radio, lights, etc. ) is not going to have an impact on range. The heat and AC power directly from the High Voltage Battery and will have a range impact when used.

From this link:

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-releases-details-2015-e-golf/

The power electronics therefore have the following interfaces: the traction circuit connection to the battery; the three-phase connection to the electric motor; the plug connection from the DC/DC converter to the 12-volt power circuit; and a connection for the high-voltage power distributor.

Thanks Stretch. Sounds like what I read before about the 12 volt battery being recharged from the main charger and not the big battery must have been wrong, based on the link you provided (lots of good info there).

The 12v battery is definitely charged from the traction battery, through a DC-to-DC converter. Since all the control computers are powered by the 12v supply, it HAS to remain operational.

The loads on the 12v system only affect the range by the tiniest of fractions of a percent. Even the seat heaters and the direct heating defrosters barely have any noticeable effect; and they take far more energy than the rest of the 12v components.

Back