100 Mile Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NeilBlanchard said:
I never drive in Eco or Eco+ mode, and I had over 12 drives above 100 miles.

Nor do I, but I do keep my speed in check to no more than 55 to 60 mph on freeways or roads.

NeilBlanchard said:
I never drive in Eco or Eco+ mode, and I had over 12 drives above 100 miles.

I don't either, unless I get to the point where the car automatically switches to Eco. It was a selling point for me that I can drive in B mode with lots of regenerative breaking without sacrificing acceleration. My '12 Leaf had almost no regen unless I put it in Eco mode.

Had to join this prestigious club. Only made it to 103, but I'm sure having the A\C on for half the trip cost me a few.

Photo%20May%2029%2C%202%2003%2053%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2029%2C%202%2004%2028%20PM.jpg

Jlzoeckler said:
Had to join this prestigious club. Only made it to 103, but I'm sure having the A\C on for half the trip cost me a few.

Photo%20May%2029%2C%202%2003%2053%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2029%2C%202%2004%2028%20PM.jpg

Probably not good for your battery to run it into the yellow "turtle" zone. That's a very, very deep discharge.

Today's trip, all freeway, in Los Angeles, heavy traffic, lot of ZEV white decal lane usage, most of it at 45 to 55 mph, or stopped in traffic. Hot today, no AC used, cracked the 2 front windows instead.

20160727_134431_zpsn35ikyaa.jpg

20160727_134436_zpsjfgiuwad.jpg

NeilBlanchard said:
Wow, 6.1 miles / kWh and 102 miles driven with 23 miles left - that is impressive!
Trust me Neil, your suggestions on use of "B" mode, only instead of the brake pedal, made it happen. I was in slow traffic from the N San Fernando Valley to Yaesu America in Cypress (near Long Beach) CA and back home. If driven with patience, and a modicum of care, VW makes much distance possible. It all depends on what you are willing to sacrifice in some creature comfort in exchange for more range. I knew beforehand that the trip was around 100 miles round trip, so planned accordingly in driving methods. Hot air is thin air to have to push the car through.

I may accidently be giving this a go.

Normally, my commute is a little less than 25 miles each way and I zip along in the carpool lane. I get home with an indicated 55-60 miles of range left (I charge at work). Yesterday, due to accidents and generally bad traffic, I was a few miles out from home and my range indicated 80 miles. A/C was on, driving anywhere from near standstill to 65 mph. I set the cc to 60 and snailed home in the slow lane for the final bit of the commute.

I woke up early for work, so I decided to forgo the HOV lane and limped along at 60 mph. At one point, I bumped up to 65 because the truck behind me really didn't have anywhere to go. Pulling into work, the totals are:

Trip 1 - Drive home: 24 miles, 34 minutes, 42 mph avg and 4.8 mi/kWh
Trip 2 - to work: 24 miles, 36 minutes, 40 mph avg and 5.2 kWh

I'm going to give it a go! It says I have a range of 64 miles.

This is far from my typical driving. My 8 month average is 3.8 mi/kWh (cc at 75 in the HOV lane).

I'll report back tomorrow as to whether or not I have the guts to go 100+

eeeeek said:
I may accidently be giving this a go.

Normally, my commute is a little less than 25 miles each way and I zip along in the carpool lane. I get home with an indicated 55-60 miles of range left (I charge at work). Yesterday, due to accidents and generally bad traffic, I was a few miles out from home and my range indicated 80 miles. A/C was on, driving anywhere from near standstill to 65 mph. I set the cc to 60 and snailed home in the slow lane for the final bit of the commute.

I woke up early for work, so I decided to forgo the HOV lane and limped along at 60 mph. At one point, I bumped up to 65 because the truck behind me really didn't have anywhere to go. Pulling into work, the totals are:

Trip 1 - Drive home: 24 miles, 34 minutes, 42 mph avg and 4.8 mi/kWh
Trip 2 - to work: 24 miles, 36 minutes, 40 mph avg and 5.2 kWh

I'm going to give it a go! It says I have a range of 64 miles.

This is far from my typical driving. My 8 month average is 3.8 mi/kWh (cc at 75 in the HOV lane).

I'll report back tomorrow as to whether or not I have the guts to go 100+

Start on a full charge, and stay out of the HOV for a whole discharge session, if you are going to try to break 100 miles on a charge. You DO need to pay attention to not speeding up and not using accessories to make it happen... When you get to 18 miles or less on a battery charge, you lose options on top speed and other features, to conserve battery charge, and it will slow your max speed capable down. Point being, it's better to have full capabilities, and not need them, than need them, and not have them... That last 18 miles is "iffy" on the freeway, get on side streets so you have a margin of error in your favor.

JoulesThief said:
Start on a full charge, and stay out of the HOV for a whole discharge session, if you are going to try to break 100 miles on a charge. You DO need to pay attention to not speeding up and not using accessories to make it happen... When you get to 18 miles or less on a battery charge, you lose options on top speed and other features, to conserve battery charge, and it will slow your max speed capable down. Point being, it's better to have full capabilities, and not need them, than need them, and not have them... That last 18 miles is "iffy" on the freeway, get on side streets so you have a margin of error in your favor.

I'm taking this to heart. When I got home yesterday, I had gone 74 miles and had an indicated 29 miles left for an average of 5.0 mile/kWh. Then I ran my son to scouts and picked him up later. 2 trips of a little more than 3 miles each and my range was down to 16 miles, bringing the overall average to 4.9. I wasn't ready to risk that.

I think I'll give it a real go next week.

Thanks for the tips.

Had to go pick up a 20ft fishing rod for my ham radio antenna in Ranch Cucamonga today. Gave the car a full charge and left as soon as it was finished recharging.

I am observing that a hot, freshly charged battery that tops off right before you leave tends to maximize what your driving range will be, versus charging it up the evening before, and then departing in the morning on a "cold' battery.

Some Cliff notes... I did lose about 480 feet of elevation from one full charge point to the Los Angeles Zoo, where I filled up again. I'll let the pictures speak.

95% of the trip was on freeway, most all the trip was as a speed of 52-56 mph, wind was calm, temps were hot, two front windows were cracked open at about 1 to 1.5" most of the drive. Lots of water was consumed. Temps were 85 to 93F most of the drive.

20160818_135430_zpslqhiko4h.jpg

20160818_135453_zpszbfqm0xu.jpg

20160818_142915_zpskeomkayc.jpg

Green Lots Charger was down today at L.A. Zoo on my way back. North San Fernando Valley down to Cypress near Long Beach, CA and back, and a Porter Ranch and back Baja Fresh run make up this run on this recharge.

I remain convinced that starting your trip on a hot, immediately freshly L2 240V 30 amp recharged battery that finished within 10 or 15 minutes of your time of departure adds a bit of range to your recharge. Just something to take note of.

20160831_145052_zpstcmokobd.jpg

20160831_145102_zpsmhdgw8ey.jpg

We haven't gone 100 miles on a charge, but regularly have been over 90 miles with ~15 miles remaining before we get to the "red" zone on the charge level display and get nervous. Usually we get ~5.3 miles/kWh.

1. What happens when you drive in the red zone? Reduced top speed? No a/c or heat? That seems to happen already in eco plus.

2. If I read correctly, many of you who achieved 100 miles drive in "normal" mode and in "D" gear. Normally we drive in "eco plus" and in "B" gear. Wouldn't you get better results with eco plus/B since there is more regenerative braking and some limits to acceleration? Can someone explain why they drive in normal/D?

Yes, the car first goes to Eco (at about 18-19 miles left?) and then goes to Eco Plus (at about 12-14 miles left) and then goes to a speed limited mode (limited to 55MPH, I think?) at about 5-7 miles.

You can drive it all the way to 1 miles left, and probably even a bit beyond that.

eeeeek said:
JoulesThief said:

I'm taking this to heart. When I got home yesterday, I had gone 74 miles and had an indicated 29 miles left for an average of 5.0 mile/kWh. Then I ran my son to scouts and picked him up later. 2 trips of a little more than 3 miles each and my range was down to 16 miles, bringing the overall average to 4.9. I wasn't ready to risk that.

I think I'll give it a real go next week.

Thanks for the tips.

Also know that going 30 MPH is one of the best ways to save energy. Don't get on the freeway. Drive lots of streets. Lots of LONG streets..haha

Back