California $2,500 Rebates are Gone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexb

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

Important Information from the State of California

Funding is currently exhausted. All applications submitted after June 10, 2016 will be placed on a rebate waitlist.

One less tax payer subsidy to have to budget for. All electric cars in CA just got a bit more expensive. Oh well, the entitlement had to stop sooner or later.

This has happened before. The program will be funded again July 1st after the fiscal year starts. The State is committed to this program. This is just a procedural speed bump that will delay some people getting their rebates. Anyone due a rebate now will probably get it at the beginning of September (July 1 + 60 days) which is only about a one month delay because the rebates almost always have a 60 day payment lead time.

miimura said:
This has happened before. The program will be funded again July 1st after the fiscal year starts. The State is committed to this program. This is just a procedural speed bump that will delay some people getting their rebates. Anyone due a rebate now will probably get it at the beginning of September (July 1 + 60 days) which is only about a one month delay because the rebates almost always have a 60 day payment lead time.
Tell that to the Prius owners and the i3-REX that are still waiting for their stickers from last year.

But yes I believe it will get funded, but I also thought the Green Stickers would be renewed as well.

Owells, I hope a new program will roll out, I'm out of Rebates (As I have collected 2 in 2015).

miimura said:
Thank you for your clarification. I wanted to lease e-Golf and was unpleasantly surprised by this news.

forbin404 said:
miimura said:
Tell that to the Prius owners and the i3-REX that are still waiting for their stickers from last year.

But yes I believe it will get funded, but I also thought the Green Stickers would be renewed as well.

Owells, I hope a new program will roll out, I'm out of Rebates (As I have collected 2 in 2015).
The Green Stickers is a totally different situation. They were capped at a certain quantity, which was increased more than once. However, the legislature has shown no interest in raising the ceiling any further on the Green stickers. The white stickers have no quantity limit.

They just don't want to fund the CVRP Rebate program more than what they can use in the fiscal year, so they just forecast it so it runs out in May or June, then they put in a big chunk in July. That's just how it works.

For example, this story from 2 years ago: http://insideevs.com/carb-adds-25-million-funding-clean-vehicle-rebate-project/

Also, we leased the e-Golf in my wife's name so we could spread around the rebates now that they're limited to two per entity, lifetime.

forbin404 said:
miimura said:

As mentioned, the white/green HOV sticker program and the rebate program are two different things.

The stickers are regulated purely by state law, and the green stickers are maxed out in their quota (again set by law). Both white and green stickers become invalid upon the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2019 unless extended by the Legislature, which has happened a couple of times already. The Legislature could also extend the sunset date for white stickers only and let the green ones expire, just like they did with the yellow (non-plug-in hybrid) ones several years ago.

The CVRP rebates are dependent on funding. It's run out before, and has been replenished before. People whose rebate submissions came in after the account ran dry have priority upon funding replenishment, on a first-come, first-served basis, so someone who buys an eGolf today should still submit their rebate paperwork ASAP.

I seriously doubt the two rebates per person quota will be extended; prior to 2015 or 2016, there was no maximum quota, and I can foresee a future where the rebates could be limited to one per person, and/or with a maximum MSRP; there is already a maximum income cap where none existed previously.

The CVRP rebate quota of two per entity (person or corporation) starts counting for purchases or leases initiated on or after January 1, 2015. Prior purchases and associated rebates don't count toward the limit.

If you qualify as low income (as defined by the program) you can qualify for an additional $1,500 rebate.

Some air districts also have their own rebate program. The most generous one I know of is the San Joaquin Valley Air District which gives an additional $3,000 rebate if you live in their territory. This is on top of the CVRP $2,500 rebate.

Whoops. Looks like I was wrong and the State is not as committed to CVRP as I thought. Politics and unexpectedly low Cap & Trade revenue are getting in the way of funding the rebate program.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-clean-vehicle-rebate-project-no-money-20160616-snap-story.html

Hmm I don't even show either bill on their docket.

Nevermind they are running a midnight session tonight.

I just submitted my paperwork today, so I sure hope so!!!

On second glance, that article states:

"The plan includes:

$135 million for transit projects
$133 million for the state's main subsidy program for low- and zero-emission vehicles, and another $80 million for a second subsidy for low-income Californians"

That sure sounds like our rebate, doesn't it?

Hopefully it is, but even so $130M divided by $2500 works out to 52,000. I think the current sale rate is around 10k a month, so with the June/July/August waitlist factored in, this amount won't last beyond end of 2016 :|

Income always mattered..sorta. Low income (I think $35k or less) got an extra $1000 and high income (over $250k) got nothing. But the 90% of us in the middle got $2500 for BEV and $1500 for hybrid.

My math didn't account for over half the rebates being hybrids so would guess this funding will go to early 2017, but if the Bolt is a hit that could easily accelerate depletion. And the Model 3 certainly would.

johnnylingo said:
Income always mattered..sorta. Low income (I think $35k or less) got an extra $1000 and high income (over $250k) got nothing.

Not always. Up until earlier this year, income had NO bearing on the amount of the state rebate. You were eligible for the full rebate for your car regardless if you were a retiree living on just Social Security and savings, or you were a billionaire. Then legislation came about that factored income into it.

That same legislation also put a limit on how many rebates you can apply for; previous to that, there was no limit to the number of times you could buy an eligible car and apply for the rebate. Because I got my first EV before this legislation went into effect, I am still eligible for one more rebate.

The specifics: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/income-eligibility

P.S. I noticed that the income cap doesn't apply if you get a Fuel Cell Vehicle. So if you buy a Mirai, or lease a Clarity, it doesn't matter how much money you make.

RonDawg said:
P.S. I noticed that the income cap doesn't apply if you get a Fuel Cell Vehicle. So if you buy a Mirai, or lease a Clarity, it doesn't matter how much money you make.
Don't count on making any money on a Fuel Cell. Locally here it's $16 kg and you need 4kg to go 300 miles. That's $76 per fill up.

In the Egolf I can spend as little as $9.90 to go 300 miles (well....in 5 trips)

Back