2016 e-Golfs half off!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At first I thought this was a computer glitch, but if they're doing 20-25% off MSRP and counting the $7500 tax and $500 college grad credits, the numbers do add up.

http://www.vwhayward.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=E-Golf

Like everyone else in the Bay Area their inventory is really high, but still...seems like there's a catch here.

TeamVWHaywardJuly2016.png

johnnylingo said:
At first I thought this was a computer glitch, but if they're doing 20-25% off MSRP and counting the $7500 tax and $500 college grad credits, the numbers do add up.

http://www.vwhayward.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=E-Golf

Like everyone else in the Bay Area their inventory is really high, but still...seems like there's a catch here.
I suspect that the inventory is high because VW USA dumped the rest of the 2016 inventory on the dealers and they're holding the 2017's until those are flushed out. Of course, this strategy doesn't really seem to work on the East Coast because there are still more than a dozen 2015's sitting on dealer lots out there.

FYI the 2016s and 2017s are the same thing; perhaps with minor additions like gesture control. The 2018 MYs we've all been waiting for with the increased range likely won't be here until mid-2017 by the most recent accounts.

I think the true culprit here is VW shot a bunch of e-Golfs towards California not anticipating the $2500 rebate expiring and not being renewed. Hayward is not a large dealership and to see them with nearly 100 in stock makes makes me go :shock:

You should hustle down there now that it's month end, and help them out if they'll help you out on price. Are those prices shown really before the $7500 tax credit? I am wondering if this is part of VW's "clean diesel" mitigation for polluting in California?

VW is going to have to do something price wise, with all those Tesla Model 3's at $35000 each with a 200 mile range coming eventually.

Their "special offer" prices include the $7500 tax credit, which is borderline false advertising because of course not everyone qualifies for the full amount. I've heard of a few cases where a salesperson claims the tax credit on a demo model and then discounts it accordingly, but can't see how they'd do that for nearly 100 cars.

Got an i3 rental lined up for Tuesday and Volt for Thursday. If e-Golf is the winner, yes, I will be hitting them up on Friday.

Awesome timing for me. I just signed a lease on an eGolf last Thursday. :oops:
Something (new VW Incentive?) must have happened just this weekend, all of a sudden, some of the dealers that knew I was interested started contacting me today.

To my knowledge the only current VW incentive is $500 college grad an 0% financing for 72 months. I have a feeling that will change on August 1st though.

IMO the explanation for the calls is simple - they're getting close to month end and have realized with the $2500 rebate gone, it's tough finding EV buyers right now.

I suspect the aggressive sales push has more to do with the fact that VWoA does its annual Year End Sales Event starting around mid-July. I got my car a year ago yesterday as part of last year's event. That said VWoA has no official deals on the eGolf like they did a year ago: http://www.vw.com/special-offers/

I assumed revguru's calls were specific e-Golf offers. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Either way, basic supply & demand principles apply: high inventory and not a lot of buyers.

johnnylingo said:
Got an i3 rental lined up for Tuesday and Volt for Thursday. If e-Golf is the winner, yes, I will be hitting them up on Friday.

Would be interested on your thoughts on comparing these 3 cars and if u decided to go with the Golf. I'm including all 3 of those in cars I'm considering to replace my TDI when the buyback becomes available.

RStrauss said:
Would be interested on your thoughts on comparing these 3 cars and if u decided to go with the Golf. I'm including all 3 of those in cars I'm considering to replace my TDI when the buyback becomes available.

Just posted a blog entry going over pros and cons of each:

https://johnnylingo.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/vw-e-golf-vs-bmw-i3-vs-chevy-volt/

Now that I think about it, the high inventory could be tied to the TDI buyback, since details on that are not finalized. Elon was definitely pushing for VW to make more effort with EVs and CARB may feel the same way.

As for Hayward, the prices seem legit and lease deals are also spectacular. SE is $1499 down + $59 x 24 and SEL is $2499 down + $159 x 24. This is a 7500 miles per year but the fees to upgrade are the standard $10/month.

Welp, I couldn't help myself and pulled the trigger last night on an Urano Grey SE right before they closed. The deal:

MSRP: $29,950
Sale Price: $23,534 (21.5% off MSRP)
Credits/Rebates: $7500
Cash Down: $1499
Fees due at signing: $1866.71 ($794 tax, $625 acquisition, $234 registration, $80 doc fee, yadda yadda)
Total drive off: $3365.71
Money factor: 0.00065 (1.56% APR)
Monthly payment: $50 ($54.50 including tax)
Duration: 24 month
Miles/year: 7,5000

Was offered a maintenance package (WTF?) for $599 and wear n' tear for $999. Since this is just a 2 year lease and I don't plan any extreme use for the car, I declined both.

Total lease cost: $4619

So thrilled to finally get an e-Golf at this price. Essentially this is a 3-year rate but on a 2-year term. Buying was tempting, but given the rapid changes we'll be seeing over the coming years, I'm happy to be free n' clear in 2018

With the 2 year lease you are giving up the opportunity to get the California $2,500 rebate. However, the funding has dried up and they are putting all applications on a waiting list now. However, I expect it to be funded again by the end of September with checks going out before the end of 2016. However, that is purely speculation on my part. There is no guarantee of receiving the rebate at all at this point.

Way to rain on my parade! :lol:

Yes, I do realize there's a chance it'll be re-funded, but there's a very good chance I won't have the car more than a year anyway. I'm essentially looking at the e-Golf SE as a short-term commuting solution until next year's models can replace the Subaru. That's why I wasn't adamant on getting a fast charger, even though I think it's worth the $30/month.

Congrats on the new golf. I'll be in the market in November when the TDI buybacks start. I think a 2 year lease is a good idea since 2018 should bring multiple range upgrade options. I may look into the same thing and hope VW deals are still good or better in November. Also thinking the Bolt and 2017 i3 will lower costs for the Volt and 2016 i3 around that time. Thanks for posting your blog thoughts comparing these 3 cars.

Is there any info on when the 2017 range upgraded VW's will start to show? Sunnyvale VW salesman said next year sometime.

RStrauss said:
2017 i3 will lower costs for the Volt and 2016 i3 around that time. Thanks for posting your blog thoughts comparing these 3 cars.

FYI if you're waiting on the 2017 i3: they may not do $7500 lease credits until the 2016s have been cleared out:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3996

This rumor did factor in to my decision, because it seemed wiser to jump on the e-Golf now and then revisit the i3 vs. e-Golf debate 1-2 years down the road when updated models are out and priced competitively to get in line with the Bolt and Model 3.

Salesperson at Hayward last night said the 2017s will arrive in September but they will be no different than the 2016s. The 2018 models will have 115 mile range and come mid-2017.

Sounds like this was an SE with the downgraded charger. Close to MSRP, that might be a deal breaker, but at the sale price, I would have given it some serious consideration.

So, I'm confused - is there 1/2 price with the federal 7500 included? If not, that makes the deal $17K (with fast charger) less $10K (federal and state tax credit) = $7K net, too good to be true.

They were including the $7500 in the advertised prices, which you typically don't see. But the key point here is they were doing a straight up 20-25% off MSRP on top of it all. So the sell price on mine was $23.5k, which is then $16k after fed rebate. Residual is $13,777 so the depreciation cost is less than $100/month.

And yes I went with the base SE that has the 3.6 kW charger. I'll be using the e-Golf mostly for commuting and keeping my Subaru for anything else. Would have paid the extra $30/month for a fast charger just in case, but they were down to white, silver, and black and I was pretty set on Night Blue or Urano Grey.

Back