2015-6 e-Golf HVAC 72F fix Tech Tip 87-15-02

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sptgolf said:
This is good to hear. I just forwarded these posts to my Encinitas VW service manager. Last I heard, they were waiting on a software update to fix the 72 degree issue, but it sounds like you just need to know the right setting to change. I guess I could always go down to Kearny Mesa if i had to. Was there any fee Snoopy?
No, there was no fee, but I had already brought my car in for the safety recall and also to fix a faulty radio button, so they might have done the climate control fix as a courtesy.

Stella, my service adviser, told me I was their Guinea Pig for this fix, but now that they know how to do it, it should be easy to replicate. I'm real happy with how it turned out. I don't anticipate needing much maintenance on the e-Golf, but I'll definitely be going back to Kearny Mesa for all my repair work.

This update has been great! I love it. I get into my car, and it says "Off", which is where I like it.

FWIW, I didn't have to do anything fancy to get it done at my local dealer. I went in for the safety recall and asked if they could change the setting. The service writer was sympathetic and said they'd look into it. I picked the car up and this Tech Tip was applied. I let them do their job instead of me trying to do it for them.

2doors said:
This update has been great! I love it. I get into my car, and it says "Off", which is where I like it.

FWIW, I didn't have to do anything fancy to get it done at my local dealer. I went in for the safety recall and asked if they could change the setting. The service writer was sympathetic and said they'd look into it. I picked the car up and this Tech Tip was applied. I let them do their job instead of me trying to do it for them.

Name of Dealership and service writer? Make it easy on the rest of us.

Took my 2016 SE in today to to fix the 72 degree problem. Before I made the appointment, I had emailed the service writer the information in BrianZ's screenshot and Snoopy's post and they emailed me back saying they know what to do. Bill at Encinitas VW had it fixed in under 15 minutes. I had barely sat down in the lounge when he came by with my keys, no charge. For the first time ever my AC was off when starting the car later today. Happy Day, that's 365 less Off buttons to push this year.

Sptgolf said:
Took my 2016 SE in today to to fix the 72 degree problem. Bill at Encinitas VW had it fixed in under 15 minutes. I had barely sat down in the lounge when he came by with my keys, no charge. For the first time ever my AC was off when starting the car later today. Happy Day, that's 365 less Off buttons to push this year.
Did you print out the stuff in my last post and hand it in to the service writer too? Tell the whole story.

Key words to the service writer.

"HVAC settings don't remember my last settings when I shut off, I'd like that changed so that it does remember MY last settings"

"Tech tip number 87-15-02"

"OTIS or OASIS"

"Adapatation #5, switching on behavior"

That's all they need to get in there and get the new adaptation value in there to remove the 20 minute timer and temp settings. It will then remember the settings where you left it.

Print this out if you need to and hand it in to the service writer, he needs all the info.

2doors said:

You would flat out be amazed how few VW technicians are trained to work on e-Golfs. There have not been a lot of them sold. A little guidance goes a long ways with proper, basic outline on how to go about it, instead of having to call the techline, the instructions are provided, they don't end up sitting and waiting on hold, on the phone, trying to do a simple job.

When you take your other cars in for service, do you tell them what size socket to use on your oil pan drain plug? Do you tell them how many lb-ft to torque the lugs to? I don't. That's why I'm taking it to them - it's their job to look that stuff up and work on my car. I'm not going to insult the service writer and the techs by looking like a know-it-all owner who "read this on the internet".

Aren't you the one always preaching RTFM and teach a man to fish and all that? Why do I need to spoon feed the service department at my local VW dealer on how to install a software update?

2doors said:
When you take your other cars in for service, do you tell them what size socket to use on your oil pan drain plug? Do you tell them how many lb-ft to torque the lugs to? I don't. That's why I'm taking it to them - it's their job to look that stuff up and work on my car. I'm not going to insult the service writer and the techs by looking like a know-it-all owner who "read this on the internet".

Aren't you the one always preaching RTFM and teach a man to fish and all that? Why do I need to spoon feed the service department at my local VW dealer on how to install a software update?

If you give then the tech tip number and ask it to be performed they have no reason not to do it. This particular one is only an adjustment to a setting within the HVAC control module. Thoes types of bulletins can be very hard to find (this is why people have been suggesting using key words)

The first time I had a customer come in and say somthing was wrong with the HVAC and that it would reset I verified the concern and called VW. They told me that is how it's supposed to operate. At that point I have nothing to fix due to it working as designed.

Hopefully everyone can see why this might not changed if you say somthing is wrong. Bringing a tech tip number is "spoon feeding" but also ensures the tech will understand what you want done.

2doors said:

My experience with VW technicians, currently owning 4 different models, 3 of them TDI's, over 40 years is that VW spoon feeds the technicians Technical Service Bulletins and Tech Tip in a very inconsistent way with the flow of information. I don't think the technician cares who does the spoon feeding, as long as it enables him to do his job or task quickly, make money, and move on to the next job that does pay. Technicians work piece work. They get paid a set amount, the faster they can turn over the job, by not being stalled, looking for or trying to find the information, which is a complex mess at VW, the happier they are. It's a help me help you situation.

Your size socket analogy is so far off base it's shows an extreme naivety with how VW operates. Finding the right size socket on jobs they do day in and day out, time wise for the technician... versus how limited the knowledge is on the e-Golf, due to such poor sales levels in many markets and dealerships, is insignificant, in terms of amount of time lost or gained if the correct information can't be found. Finding the correct info is like finding a needle in a haystack at VW, especially when the model and problem setting is new.

I still encourage all new owners, and old owners alike, to RTFM, because most people don't ever even crack it open, and in many cases, the answers are in there, albeit poorly written at times.

JoulesThief said:
My experience with VW technicians, currently owning 4 different models, 3 of them TDI's, over 40 years is that VW spoon feeds the technicians Technical Service Bulletins and Tech Tip in a very inconsistent way with the flow of information. I don't think the technician cares who does the spoon feeding, as long as it enables him to do his job or task quickly, make money, and move on to the next job that does pay. Technicians work piece work. They get paid a set amount, the faster they can turn over the job, by not being stalled, looking for or trying to find the information, which is a complex mess at VW, the happier they are. It's a help me help you situation.

Your size socket analogy is so far off base it's shows an extreme naivety with how VW operates. Finding the right size socket on jobs they do day in and day out, time wise for the technician... versus how limited the knowledge is on the e-Golf, due to such poor sales levels in many markets and dealerships, is insignificant, in terms of amount of time lost or gained if the correct information can't be found. Finding the correct info is like finding a needle in a haystack at VW, especially when the model and problem setting is new.

I still encourage all new owners, and old owners alike, to RTFM, because most people don't ever even crack it open, and in many cases, the answers are in there, albeit poorly written at times.

How VW operates and the pay scale of technicians isn't my concern. I'M not getting paid to figure out how to make changes to my vehicle, THEY ARE.

2doors said:
JoulesThief said:

How VW operates and the pay scale of technicians isn't my concern. I'M not getting paid to figure out how to make changes to my vehicle, THEY ARE.
Ah well, then don't expect them to value your time, while you sit in the lobby for hours while they try to find the solution. This is the problem with the "me" generation. If you feel that way, don't waste your time here, either, getting valuable tips on "how to get 'er done"., that tell a possibly clueless service advisor or technician how to expediently get instructions, where to look etc. to finish the job quickly and expeditiously.

2doors said:

So they are getting paid to make changes to your vehicle, does that mean YOU are paying them?

In this case technically nothing is wrong or broken so I would consider this to be a customization. And in most cases (unless you are buying a high end car) dealerships will either charge for or not provide customization service for their customers. If VW presented all the options that can be changed on your vehicle they would spend hours with customers setting up everything. Things such as light brightness for nearly all the lights on your car can be changed through Vag-Com. Other nice features like window control through key fob can be activated along with a bunch of other cool stuff. All of these things have been available for years, but VW certainly does not offer to set all these options for you when you buy a new car, nor should they.

So my take, if you can nicely present the info to have your dealer make this change and they are willing to do it, that is great because they certainly are not required to. Your car did this when you purchased it, everything is working as intended. You cannot get mad at a dealer service department for a lack of intimate knowledge on a vehicle that makes up a fraction of a percent of their service responsibility.

The TT takes care of the issue of resetting to 72°F after 20 minutes, but if you turn off the car while the Max AC is engaged the car will reset to 72°F when you turn it back on. At least that is what my 2016 SEL does. :)

I had the climate control tech tip applied when I had the car in for the recall on the Power train software. So much better now one less thing to play with when I get in the car. They did not charge me to apply.

The radio occasionally looses the station when I turn the car off. They say they were not able to apply a fix for this. It still does this occasionally.

This is the 8th car I've ever owned. All things considered, I'm afraid I really do hate this egolf and the Volkswagen corporation.

eGolfeGirl said:
This is the 8th car I've ever owned. All things considered, I'm afraid I really do hate this egolf and the Volkswagen corporation.

I've no idea why you even posted this in this thread, it's not related.

If you own it, then sell it. If you don't own it, and the bank has title on it, or you leased it, then turn it back in.

JoulesThief said:
eGolfeGirl said:

If you own it, then sell it. If you don't own it, and the bank has title on it, or you leased it, then turn it back in.

Well Thread Cop, I'm sorry I didn't check with you before offering an opinion on a discussion. Is there a page on this forum where we have to get your approvals before posting anything? I must have missed that while I was spamming every conversation and ALWAYS smugly getting in the last word. Oh wait, that's actually someone else... :lol:

Not that I need to explain but since you're so confused, I posted in this thread because this issue is a huge pain in the ass for me and I'm clearly not alone there. For future reference, if you have no idea why I post a comment just keep that confusion to yourself.

Hugs!!!!!

eGolfeGirl said:
JoulesThief said:
eGolfeGirl said:

Well Thread Cop, I'm sorry I didn't check with you before offering an opinion on a discussion. Is there a page on this forum where we have to get your approvals before posting anything? I must have missed that while I was spamming every conversation and ALWAYS smugly getting in the last word. Oh wait, that's actually someone else... :lol:

Not that I need to explain but since you're so confused, I posted in this thread because this issue is a huge pain in the ass for me and I'm clearly not alone there. For future reference, if you have no idea why I post a comment just keep that confusion to yourself.

Hugs!!!!!
Aw, how sweet!

Honestly and truly... VW product is not for everyone. They can can be problematic. Their owners can be even more problematic. The owners that I've seen have the most problems with VW's and ownership are those that come from Toyota or Honda previous ownership. Owners that treat their cars like an appliance don't do well with german made cars and the level and cost of maintenance they require.

Just an observation I've seen over the years. YMMV

If your's is too problematic for you, I'd suggest trying another brand that's a japanese make. Seriously, you might be much happier. Te

eGolfeGirl said:

What the heck does this even have to do with this thread? Complete thread crapper. Do us all a favor and sell the car or turn in your lease, either way YOU were the one that signed the papers and it shows us how ridiculous your thought process was to buy a car that you hate. Complete lack of intelligence on your part.

I came to this thread looking for a solution to the 72 degree default and found it. Case closed. Thank you to everyone except eGolfeGirl for providing USEFUL information.

Please eGirl, do us all a favor and turn in your e-Golf so someone that deserves the car can have it. Go back to your ICE Toyota Celica.

Back