2016 SE back-up camera issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone experiencing issues where the back up camera periodically doesn't work?
I hear the camera door pop open but i get nothing on the screen except "The ParkPilot is currently not available"

2doors said:
No issues with mine either. But I don't have Park Assist or DC package or whatever, just the lines on the screen.

DC is the DC Current direct charge CCS option on the 2016SE model, a $1500 option for quick charging.

allenmchan said:
Anyone experiencing issues where the back up camera periodically doesn't work?
I hear the camera door pop open but i get nothing on the screen except "The ParkPilot is currently not available"
Your car appears to be broken. Take it to a dealer for warranty repair.

Your not the only one. Just got this problem as well and I've only had the car for a day.

Same problem! I've had the car for 4 days and it has said "The ParkPilot is currently not available" 2-3 times already. I think I might be doing something wrong? Any ideas? It's hard to reproduce the issue.

Hello Guys, had the same issue with my SE. I acquired the car in June 2016 .It spent about 8 days at McKenna VW in Cerritos being diagnosed with multiple updates. Finally they decided to replace a unit (part # J794). It finally worked. No issues at all after that (knock on wood).
Ask them to replace it with the J794 (I looked at no charge warranty invoice - the unit costs $1030.00). You car should be under warranty. No amount of technical update will fix it.

The J794 is an infotainment module that sits in your glovebox, on the MkVII Golf.

Probably the device that also holds your SD micro cards for music and GPS mapping.

It's 11pm and too lazy to get the invoice from the car. I remember it as j794 - the controlling module - they replaced it and ever since the camera has worked. I will try to post the invoice on the forum to make sure what it was...I will consult my it tech (my 17 year old son) how to post pics on this site.

Hey everyone, so I am at the VW service center and they said no one has ever complained about this problem before. They also said they can't reproduce it so there is nothing they can do.

What did people say or what did people do to get VW to replace the unit? I should have recorded it =(

gat89 said:
Hey everyone, so I am at the VW service center and they said no one has ever complained about this problem before. They also said they can't reproduce it so there is nothing they can do.

What did people say or what did people do to get VW to replace the unit? I should have recorded it =(
Mine wouldn't believe me for a 'static radio' issue until I recorded it as well.

M2016 SE e-golf is in the shop now with video evidence. They're still trying to recreate it. It is excruciating waiting, I brought it in at 9am yesterday and now it's day 2. Anyone out there who had the J794 part replaced? That solved it? Anyone else solve this any other way?

judah8750 said:
M2016 SE e-golf is in the shop now with video evidence. They're still trying to recreate it. It is excruciating waiting, I brought it in at 9am yesterday and now it's day 2. Anyone out there who had the J794 part replaced? That solved it? Anyone else solve this any other way?

Do a search on Google for "J794 back up camera" and see what threads come up here on my vw e-golf. Many have had the module show up as defective, as in a bad lot of them got out and fail. Almost all are on 2016 e-Golf SE models.

Do a search on Google for "J794 back up camera" and see what threads come up here on my vw e-golf. Many have had the module show up as defective, as in a bad lot of them got out and fail. Almost all are on 2016 e-Golf SE models.

I did extensive reading on multiple sights and only saw limited confirmed success with the module change. I was hoping to confirm with someone who had it done and has checked back in. I left my car there for two days just now and they basically said that it isn't a known problem even though I provided video evidence. They just took out and reinstalled the stereo. I'm sure it will happen again and I'll have to bring it back. Pretty irritating.

Just had tt 91-16-14 software re-installed on mine. Haven't had any issues yet.
Anyone else have success with the new bulletin?

thesnake said:
Just had tt 91-16-14 software re-installed on mine. Haven't had any issues yet.
Anyone else have success with the new bulletin?

Snake, take a picture of your invoice, host it, and post it up here, in a new thread with a title describing the problem and the TT 91-16-14 and what it resolves. Then tell us how you went about telling the Service writer how you described the problem, so they could address it correctly. Thanks in advance. It will be a valuable thread for future owners.

image.jpg

Here's what they did to mine today. I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Keep us in the loop if it works, or fails again. Generally speaking, when VW recodes a parameter, it makes the problem go away for good.

JoulesThief said:
Keep us in the loop if it works, or fails again. Generally speaking, when VW recodes a parameter, it makes the problem go away for good.

Well, 6 days in and the problem has not come back so far. I'm curious why I haven't seen it recommended to recode a parameter to fix this if that's what usually does it. All I found was lots of references to get the J794 module changed. That module is expensive and so obviously they don't like people demanding it be changed. Is TT 91-16-14 a recoding of the parameter?

I'll check in in a week or so or if the problem comes back, but it would be nice for the next guy with the problem reading this to know they could just ask for the recode.

Back