$340 per month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eurogeek

Looking into getting an egolf for my commute.
Currently the offer I am getting is:

Egolf SLE
15k mileage per year
$2500 down
36 months

Getting quoted $340 with taxes included. Trying to determine if I should pull the trigger. Thoughts?

15k miles a year, buy a tdi or a gasser, you'll be forever wasting time recharging with those kind of miles

JoulesThief said:
15k miles a year, buy a tdi or a gasser, you'll be forever wasting time recharging with those kind of miles
Pay no attention to JT's ICE advice.

15k miles per year is only 41 miles per day. If you have a 60 mile commute (30 miles each way) and work 50 weeks a year, you will cover those 15k miles just on weekdays. Weekend driving would push you over that amount. This can easily be done in an e-Golf with just overnight charging at home.

Judging by the advertisements of Silicon Valley dealers, I think the total cost for 36 months and 15k mi/yr should be about $13,500. So, I think your offer is about $1,000 too high. Of course, it depends where you are, what your sales tax rate is, and the supply of vehicles dealers have in your area.

Thank you both for the reply. Gas/diesel vehicle is out of the question because I can charge my car at work for free. I got a quote from another dealer for $335 a month on the same car. Right now I am commuting in an e36 m3 so that sucks up $200 anyways.

Really appreciate thoughts others have. I also haven't told the dealer that I am a new grad so I would get additional $500 knocked off sell price.

Edit: sorry I'm in the San Diego area. Sales tax is around 8%

Eurogeek said:

Egolf SLE
15k mileage per year
$2500 down
36 months

Getting quoted $340 with taxes included. Trying to determine if I should pull the trigger. Thoughts?

Is that the ongoing lease rate right now? I got my 2016 SEL in November for the same miles/year and $2,500 total out of pocket at signing for $291.26/month. That's even with my higher sales tax of 9.5% in Fremont/Alameda County in the Bay. The base payment is $265.99. I got the $2,500 fully back from the CVRP. Considering there's uncertainty for that right now with the lack of funds, I'd negotiate more.

miimura said:
JoulesThief said:
Pay no attention to JT's ICE advice.

15k miles per year is only 41 miles per day. If you have a 60 mile commute (30 miles each way) and work 50 weeks a year, you will cover those 15k miles just on weekdays. Weekend driving would push you over that amount. This can easily be done in an e-Golf with just overnight charging at home.

Judging by the advertisements of Silicon Valley dealers, I think the total cost for 36 months and 15k mi/yr should be about $13,500. So, I think your offer is about $1,000 too high. Of course, it depends where you are, what your sales tax rate is, and the supply of vehicles dealers have in your area.

There's no way I'd have been able to drive to Elecraft in Watsonville, CA and then back home, in the same day, with an e-Golf. Yet I did just that, last Monday, to return a Made in USA DOA Elecraft Kx2, in a TDI, without even stopping to refuel. Get off your political horse on electric cars... I've no intention of being limited by government controlled electrical utilities company on my mobility options, when free market oil will always be available, unfettered by our government as to the production, distribution, and sales of it. Any of my TDI's is more than capable of driving 300,000 miles on one engine, without needing a replacement battery, or having it's range reduced that it will travel, unlike lithium batteries. 10

$48,000 MSRP Touareg TDI AWD, or $36,500 MSRP e-Golf SEL, that can't and won't sell without government subsidies of $7500 to 10,000, plus huge msrp discount by VW also of $11,200 in my case. Yeah, it's a $15,200 car. And they still don't sell well, and their value used is atrocious. 2015's are still for sale.

And I have to tell you, I am sick and tired of being tethered in my e-Golf for a recharge. It's an inconvenience that I believe I and most Americans will feel it gets old really quick, once the novelty wears off. I did 610 miles in under 10 hours of driving Monday... TDI all the way. 80 mph in an e-Golf, with the AC set at 73F, 92F ambient... how long between recharges? Way too soon for me. TDI at 80 MPH and A/C set at 73F? 748 miles on the last Tank of the Touareg. Diesel at $ 2.459 a Gallon. 20 to 30 minute quick charges for an e-Golf around here are $8 to 10 a recharge. For 65 or 70 miles at 80 mph on I-5, and that's being passed by many drivers. No comparison, what is the better value. There most likely will always be a TDI in my driveway. I'll leave CA before i give up my diesel TDI's, CARB be damned.

Your e-golf is a stop gap car, on lease, until your Model 3 arrives. I won't suggest what he can do with your advice, he can make his own decisions. VW's aren't for everyone, certainly not e-Golfs.

sscpaegolf said:
Eurogeek said:

Egolf SLE
15k mileage per year
$2500 down
36 months

Is that the ongoing lease rate right now? I got my 2016 SEL in November for the same miles/year and $2,500 total out of pocket at signing for $291.26/month. That's even with my higher sales tax of 9.5% in Fremont/Alameda County in the Bay. The base payment is $265.99. I got the $2,500 fully back from the CVRP. Considering there's uncertainty for that right now with the lack of funds, I'd negotiate more.

Wow that's a great deal you got. I'm trying to negotiate more, but it seems like the dealers are firm on the pricing. Maybe my best best is to wait it out and check the lease offers at a later time. Not in a rush to buy so waiting won't hurt.

Hi, I just leased my 2016 SEL with driver assistance package last weekend.

MSRP 36945
15k miles per year/36 month
$335 per month
Paid $799 at signing to cover DMV and doc fees

I'm in Oregon so maybe not directly comparable to where ever you are.

Can't say how much I love this car. I drive 50 miles/day M-F and it's so much more fun that my old Prius.

JoulesThief said:
There's no way I'd have been able to drive to Elecraft in Watsonville, CA and then back home, in the same day, with an e-Golf. Yet I did just that, last Monday, to return a Made in USA DOA Elecraft Kx2, in a TDI, without even stopping to refuel. Get off your political horse on electric cars... I've no intention of being limited by government controlled electrical utilities company on my mobility options, when free market oil will always be available, unfettered by our government as to the production, distribution, and sales of it. Any of my TDI's is more than capable of driving 300,000 miles on one engine, without needing a replacement battery, or having it's range reduced that it will travel, unlike lithium batteries. 10

$48,000 MSRP Touareg TDI AWD, or $36,500 MSRP e-Golf SEL, that can't and won't sell without government subsidies of $7500 to 10,000, plus huge msrp discount by VW also of $11,200 in my case. Yeah, it's a $15,200 car. And they still don't sell well, and their value used is atrocious. 2015's are still for sale.

And I have to tell you, I am sick and tired of being tethered in my e-Golf for a recharge. It's an inconvenience that I believe I and most Americans will feel it gets old really quick, once the novelty wears off. I did 610 miles in under 10 hours of driving Monday... TDI all the way. 80 mph in an e-Golf, with the AC set at 73F, 92F ambient... how long between recharges? Way too soon for me. TDI at 80 MPH and A/C set at 73F? 748 miles on the last Tank of the Touareg. Diesel at $ 2.459 a Gallon. 20 to 30 minute quick charges for an e-Golf around here are $8 to 10 a recharge. For 65 or 70 miles at 80 mph on I-5, and that's being passed by many drivers. No comparison, what is the better value. There most likely will always be a TDI in my driveway. I'll leave CA before i give up my diesel TDI's, CARB be damned.

Your e-golf is a stop gap car, on lease, until your Model 3 arrives. I won't suggest what he can do with your advice, he can make his own decisions. VW's aren't for everyone, certainly not e-Golfs.

I can count on one hand how many times I needed to make a 100+ mile drive this year. My Audi A3 only logged 1600 miles since last January, almost all of it on a trip to Salt Lake City and back. I'll be lucky if it accrues 2000 miles in all of 2016.

My eGolf, and my Leaf before that, have provided me the overwhelming majority of my driving needs. I am far from "sick and tired" of it. Perhaps maybe you should take the advice you've given a few other people here and go ahead and sell your eGolf, because it's clearly "not for you."

Eurogeek said:
15k mileage per year
$2500 down
36 months

I think you'd find a better deal up here. Sunnyvale quoted me $4500 down + $159/month 36 month. Their 24 month deal was $303/month for 24 month with zero down. Hayward's pricing was about 10% lower than that.

These were 7500 miles/year but bumping to 15k would have been around $35/month and our taxes are only a fraction higher than yours.

Inventory is really high in the Bay Area, and the SELs are moving at a much slower pace. Deals aren't quite as good last month but still I'd at least contact Hayward, Sunnyvale, and Winn and determine if the trip is worth it.

For a San Diego buyer, the highest inventory seems to be in Santa Monica. That is much more reasonable than buying from the Bay Area. However, if the deal is good enough, you can save enough to cover shipping the car down.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:

I can count on one hand how many times I needed to make a 100+ mile drive this year. My Audi A3 only logged 1600 miles since last January, almost all of it on a trip to Salt Lake City and back. I'll be lucky if it accrues 2000 miles in all of 2016.

My eGolf, and my Leaf before that, have provided me the overwhelming majority of my driving needs. I am far from "sick and tired" of it. Perhaps maybe you should take the advice you've given a few other people here and go ahead and sell your eGolf, because it's clearly "not for you."

The e-Golf gets used around town. It is good for about 3 trips of 30 miles round trip, in the city. The TDI's get used for everything else. 700+miles before visiting a station for a fill up is pretty much the norm. 3 to 4 minutes to fill it up. Not 2.5 to 3 hours.

For most people, "3 trips of 30 miles round trip" is equal to or greater than their average daily commute. That's the point of this and most other electric cars; it is for commuting, not for the occasional road trip. Pure electrics are best if you have access to an ICEV, and most households are multi-car households anyway. However some electric car owners own just that car, and to be honest if/when the Audi dies I'm not in a hurry to replace it. I can always rent a car for the occasional road trip.

Eurogeek said:
sscpaegolf said:
Eurogeek said:

Egolf SLE
15k mileage per year
$2500 down
36 months

Wow that's a great deal you got. I'm trying to negotiate more, but it seems like the dealers are firm on the pricing. Maybe my best best is to wait it out and check the lease offers at a later time. Not in a rush to buy so waiting won't hurt.

Yeah, you should wait. The dealers will have to negotiate. All the regular EVs (outside of Tesla, VW and Fiat) are getting batteries with higher and updated range (2017 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 BMW i3, 2016+ Nissan Leaf, etc.). The 2017 Chevy Bolt will be out in CA by Dec/Jan.

Also, the $2,500 CA rebate is no longer freely available, so there goes most people's down payment/amount due at signing. That was the case for me in Nov.
Full disclosure, I did get $1K as a conquest rebate from VW for lease, because the VW Diesel Emission Scandal was fresh then. But, VW was giving current VW customers $2K loyalty rebates back then as well.

I think the only EV that isn't very adversely affected by the current rebate status is the Chevy Spark EV. We got one in our household as well in June. We only pay $155/month for a 2LT with CCS for 35 months ($0 out of pocket at lease inception for 36 months at 15,000 miles/year).

Back