SEL Lease in the Bay Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been shopping around and am pretty consistently getting the same offer - $2500 down and $250 a month in payments. The difference is that one dealer has offered me this rate for a 30 month lease instead of 36 months, which seems like the best deal.

What is perplexing me is that SEs seem to go for $2500 down and $100 a month. Total cost of ownership does not seem proportionate to the MSRP of the different versions.

So, what do you all think of the 30 month deal. If we get the CA rebate, which we should, we would end up at $7,200 total over 30 months.

Questions:
1. Does the down payment include drive off fees such as registration, acquisition etc? Tax?
2. How many miles per year?

Have you seen the deal advertised on the Hayward VW website?

Yes. The down payment includes all of the fees and taxes.

miles = 7.5K a year which is fine with us as this car will primarily be used to drive to the train which is a 10 mile round trip 4 days a week. Of course we'll do other driving, but given the range and size, we'll use our larger car for road trips and such.

I have contacted Hayward a couple of times but I have not been able to get a response from them. We're a bit too far from them to make it worth driving down there without knowing what they may offer us.

lombard955 said:
I have contacted Hayward a couple of times but I have not been able to get a response from them. We're a bit too far from them to make it worth driving down there without knowing what they may offer us.

I would keep trying to contact them or at least call them up. They have the best deals and I think if you can get someone to confirm numbers via email it would be worth driving there.

They're offering 159/mo on their website on your terms. 1500 down. Excl drive off fees.

rieuk said:
They're offering 159/mo on their website on your terms. 1500 down. Excl drive off fees.

Screaming deal. Cash down will actually be $2k (unless you're recent college grad) and the due at signing fees will be around $2-3k but that's negated by the state rebate. Jeez, I'm actually tempted to jump on this and do a lease takeover for my SE even though I've only had it 2 months.

Unique thing about Hayward is they put written prices on most of their stock, rather than the "1 available at this offer" bullsh*t I've seen from Sunnyvale. So I wouldn't be too worried about them pulling shenanigans once you're there. I was in and out in under 45 minutes, no haggling required.

That being said, your SE deal sounds like a screamer as well. 1500 down, 50/mo for 24 mo? Wow

I did get through to Hayward this AM. Their deal was not inclusive of all of the fees, so when you add the down payment + fees + all of the payments, the overall deal we got at Hanlees was a bit better.

We will sell back our TDI when the time comes and will use that payout to pay the payments on this car so the money will make it back full circle to VW.

Now to call the electrician to get the new outlet installed.

rieuk said:
That being said, your SE deal sounds like a screamer as well. 1500 down, 50/mo for 24 mo? Wow

Yeah, but no $2500 rebate since the lease was less than 30 months. :cry:

In hindsight, I should have bought the car or waited until September when the dealers were dealing and the rebate was back. But I'm still happy I got the car when I did and don't have a long term commitment.

lombard955 said:
I've been shopping around and am pretty consistently getting the same offer - $2500 down and $250 a month in payments. The difference is that one dealer has offered me this rate for a 30 month lease instead of 36 months, which seems like the best deal.

What is perplexing me is that SEs seem to go for $2500 down and $100 a month. Total cost of ownership does not seem proportionate to the MSRP of the different versions.

So, what do you all think of the 30 month deal. If we get the CA rebate, which we should, we would end up at $7,200 total over 30 months.

I just leased an SEL. They tried real hard to push me into an ES.

Currently VW subsides the ES for low payments. There is no subsidy on the SEL. It is all up to you.
Who knows what the future holds. Many here did get VW subsidies on the SEL.

The base trim is SE, not the ES.

And please share when you got information about VW "subsidizing" it? The MSRP between and SE and SEL is about $6500 and the lease payment difference runs roughly $100/month. The residual difference is around $3k so the numbers add up and I don't see any evidence they're favoring one trim over the other.

johnnylingo said:
The base trim is SE, not the ES.

And please share when you got information about VW "subsidizing" it? The MSRP between and SE and SEL is about $6500 and the lease payment difference runs roughly $100/month. The residual difference is around $3k so the numbers add up and I don't see any evidence they're favoring one trim over the other.

Corrected the typo. At VW of Orange there was no SEL subsidy but only the SEL had the safety options of Drive Assist.

In any event anyone reading this already has a car and in California there is no recourse so be happy with what you have.

The biggest joke is reading the Edmunds prices paid forums. Some (liers) completely forget to mention the 10K trade in allowance they received. Everyone wants the best deal even if they have to lie about their deal. I think it is just human nature. BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE.

I am, believe me, I am. I didn't trade in anything.

$25,200 about, before taxes, registration, fees, etc. $7500 tax credit, and CA $2500 state rebat off of that figure. About $15,200, and I own it. Seems to be driven very efficiently by it's owner, minimizing watts per mile driven. About 167 watts per mile.

20161001_163322_zpsdpesrhuk.jpg

GlennD,

First of all, glad you got into an eGolf! I'm the guy with the black lab and wife who talked to you about our eGolf at your house. JoulesThief has a 2015 SEL, which does not have some of the safety features you required and none of the updated infotainment center, which he says he doesn't care about anyway.

He bought a year end model during the height of the dieselgate scandal so dealerships were hurting and VW was offering $2,000 loyalty cash. For comparison, though, my lease is essentially the same deal as his SEL. A 2016 SE and 2015 SEL were roughly comparative deal and pricewise. That might give some idea of the difference in value between a 2016 SE and SEL in terms of a great deal.

If you haven't done so already, you can apply for California's $2,500 rebate here https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

There is nothing wrong with a young Lab except waiting out the age. I prefer an adult but many want to start from a puppy. I am still waiting for my B to be totaled but even if it is not the car will sit for 14 months. I can afford two payments and I will not drive a repaired frame damaged car.

I am very bad at names but I do remember your female young Lab. I think my current dog is a Lab look alike but I love her. My previous dog was a female Lad and without a doubt she was the best dog ever!

I got a reply from the rebate people that my lease copy was unreadable. I photo copied the very long contract and I emailed it to them. Hopefully that is good enough. If not then it is off to Staples again.

The communications with them is good. Too bad they are out of money but getting on the list is good. They should have funding soon. Years ago I did get the check for my B.

GlennD said:
Too bad they are out of money but getting on the list is good. They should have funding soon.

Umm what? I thought they were just infused with more funding. See here.

They currently have no money. They expect funding in December. I am approved and on the list. When ever the check arrives it will be welcome.

The state has allocated the money. However, the money is actually disbursed by the Center for Sustainable Energy, a non-profit organization. They money has to actually hit their bank so they can actually issue checks. That process takes time and they have their own bureaucratic process. My understanding is that the State has already sent the funds and they are working through the rebate applicant backlog in the order they were received. Even when there are no funding interruptions, it takes 60 days to get your check. If you submitted your paperwork in September or prior and it was approved, you will get your check before the end of the year. The people who had their application approved near the June cutoff should get their check this month, October 2016.

Back