Design gripes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cctop

In the spirit of the thread regarding the placement of the Eco Mode button right next to the ignition button...if the VW designers asked you for input on the next generation of eGolfs, what's the first thing you would tell them?

I'd like simple heater controls from the 1970's: one slider for how hard the fan blows, one slider for heater/AC/no change.

To preserve battery I rarely run the heater or A/C. I don't want the fan to run every time I start the car. When I have it on, I want to heat up or cool down the car quickly then turn it off, not leave it running at a certain temperature. And 90% of the time I just want fresh air. The only way I've found to do that is to turn the fan on then turn the temperature dial several times to get it down to "Lo".

cctop said:
In the spirit of the thread regarding the placement of the Eco Mode button right next to the ignition button...if the VW designers asked you for input on the next generation of eGolfs, what's the first thing you would tell them?

I'd like simple heater controls from the 1970's: one slider for how hard the fan blows, one slider for heater/AC/no change.

To preserve battery I rarely run the heater or A/C. I don't want the fan to run every time I start the car. When I have it on, I want to heat up or cool down the car quickly then turn it off, not leave it running at a certain temperature. And 90% of the time I just want fresh air. The only way I've found to do that is to turn the fan on then turn the temperature dial several times to get it down to "Lo".

http://www.myvwegolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=607

I think the ECO modes for driving and for ventilation should be separate. ECO ventilation would prevent any energy use for heating or cooling, only blowing the fan, with or without recirculation. The ECO driving modes as they affect the throttle mapping and max speeds are fine as-is IMHO.

1. PUT THE PLUG IN THE FRONT! Honestly - it is so lame being in the rear; it drives me crazy. In my home driveway I have to do a tricky three-point turn around my housemate's cars to back up to the garage where the charging cable is. And in many public charging stations as well - yesterday at a swanky hotel parking garage I had to do a three point turn in the middle of the through lane to get in, between an Audi e-tron and a Leaf, both of which simply pulled straight in to charge from the front. This seems so obvious!

2. Make the locking plug a user-set preference, possible to disable. Where I live I am not worried about people unplugging me before I'm full; I'm worried about pissing someone off if I'm not back in time and they can't unplug me. So I placed my cell number on a piece of tape inside the plug lid but I don't know if anyone will notice it. BTW yesterday said Audi was fully charged and I simply unplugged him/her and plugged myself in. Easy. As it should be. It would have been irritating if s/he was locked, as I was down to 8 miles range and late for my lunch date as well.

JoulesThief said:

Thanks for the reminder JT. I haven't been back to the dealer since I got the car. I'll add that to the list whenever I get around to taking the car in for the two recalls.

cctop said:
JoulesThief said:

Thanks for the reminder JT. I haven't been back to the dealer since I got the car. I'll add that to the list whenever I get around to taking the car in for the two recalls.

I know there is a master mechanic at Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek that is more than capable of getting this right the first time. Specify that you want Brian when you talk to the service manager. That is, if you get out that way.

cctop said:

You can find the modes also on the infotainment center. Push the icon you want. It will change color to yellow. Never a need to touch the mode button in the console, do it in the infotainment center, instead.

20151206_160528_zpsth5u4ruh.jpg

Jaysher said:
1. PUT THE PLUG IN THE FRONT! Honestly - it is so lame being in the rear; it drives me crazy. In my home driveway I have to do a tricky three-point turn around my housemate's cars to back up to the garage where the charging cable is. And in many public charging stations as well - yesterday at a swanky hotel parking garage I had to do a three point turn in the middle of the through lane to get in, between an Audi e-tron and a Leaf, both of which simply pulled straight in to charge from the front. This seems so obvious!

2. Make the locking plug a user-set preference, possible to disable. Where I live I am not worried about people unplugging me before I'm full; I'm worried about pissing someone off if I'm not back in time and they can't unplug me. So I placed my cell number on a piece of tape inside the plug lid but I don't know if anyone will notice it. BTW yesterday said Audi was fully charged and I simply unplugged him/her and plugged myself in. Easy. As it should be. It would have been irritating if s/he was locked, as I was down to 8 miles range and late for my lunch date as well.

1. Ironically, the GTE (plug-in hybrid) versions sold in Europe do have the plug beneath the VW emblem in the grille. I suspect that the real reason VW put the charging port on the battery-only version in the right rear was so they could use the same right rear quarter panel as the gas/diesel versions, and not have to make a special panel with no hole like Honda did for the Fit EV (charging port is on left front fender).

2. 2013 and later Nissan Leafs give you that option.

Ooooo

Charger in the front!

Then I don't have to back my car in the driveway OR drag my 18' cable out to it's entire length just to charge my car.
The only 'e' type I test drove that had that was the Kia Soul EV , my Fiat has it in the same place as the eGolf.

forbin404 said:
Ooooo

Charger in the front!

Then I don't have to back my car in the driveway OR drag my 18' cable out to it's entire length just to charge my car.
The only 'e' type I test drove that had that was the Kia Soul EV , my Fiat has it in the same place as the eGolf.

They were emulating a Tesla Model S. The SEL comes with backup camera and sensors... I use them to my advantage some times. You either have to back in, or back out, take your pick.

I'm not big on the charger in front. You get in a small fender bender with your nose, and it could very easily make it impossible to recharge and use. It takes a long, long time for VW replacement parts to arrive from Germany. So the existing port for charging is fine with me. Maybe RF fender would be good, too.

In my mind, anything is better than the location M-B chose for their plug-in hybrids. They put it in the right side of the plastic part of the rear bumper. That has got to be the most damaged part of any vehicle.

MB_Bumper_Plug.jpg

A rear hit will mess up the charger port as easily you know.

Maybe the Side front charger of the Spark is probably the best method.

forbin404 said:
bizzle said:
Yeah, that certainly takes the cake for poor design.
Considering that Mercedes discontinued it, probably explains it.
What are you talking about? Mercedes is using this charge port placement for the S550e, GLE550e, and the upcoming C350e.

The BMW X5 40e and the 330e use the left front fender as do the Ford Energi cars and the Chevy Volt.

How about the radio not resetting itself to static at startup. It started as an intermittent issue and now does it nearly every time I turn on the car. I cannot believe that VW told my local WV techs that it is normal operation.

Back