on/off button while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f1geek said:
JoulesThief, that's a good one! The salesman knows. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! Most of the salesman couldn't tell you the difference between a J1772 plug and a water hose. Why can't you stop scolding people? Did your parents beat it into you as a child that you should RTFM? Did your parents RTFM on how to raise children? I think they didn't.

This is laughable. BMWtech here got walked through everything on his new to him 2015 e-Golf SEL, before driving off of the dealership lot. His ChargePoint Charge card was activated before he even left the lot. Parkway Volkswagen in Valencia is where he got his car. His salesman was extensively knowledgable and trained about the product.

It's rather obvious to me that some folks need their hands held to do rather simple things, like read the owners manual. So few people ever do it here, especially the car enthusiasts. There must be some sort of mental block, or they think they know it all.

I suggest leaving the owners manual in the "office", read every page of it, instead of your smart phone, while doing your business, and understand the features on your new vehicle. Or delete the damn feature from the entry level e-Golf SE, it's too complex and confusing for geeks to comprehend.

Just ignore him , as soon as someone crashes and there is a class action, I'm sure he will be the 2nd one to sign up.
Putting those two buttons close together was colossally dumb.

forbin404 said:

Agreed. It's a fundamental design flaw related to safety and blaming 'user error' isn't gonna fly with the NHTSA if this ever gets investigated.

johnnylingo said:
forbin404 said:

Agreed. It's a fundamental design flaw related to safety and blaming 'user error' isn't gonna fly with the NHTSA if this ever gets investigated.

LOL, Just pointed NHTSA to the Owner's manual. It will always come back as gross negligence on the owner.. I filed my complaint with NHTSA with copies of pictures from the Owner's Manual from my 2015 SEL. You can't fix stupid.

JoulesThief said:
LOL, Just pointed NHTSA to the Owner's manual. It will always come back as gross negligence on the owner.. I filed my complaint with NHTSA with copies of pictures from the Owner's Manual from my 2015 SEL. You can't fix stupid.

JoulesThief: Well played sir, well played. If I understand your post correctly, you have made a complaint to NHTSA that people don't read the owners manual which is well, must say quite priceless on a Saturday night sipping a cocktail and actually made me laugh so thank you for that entertainment. I can't wait for it to show up on the NHTSA website which will be quite rich.

Cheers to my slightly intellectually challenged interlocuter Mr. JoulesThief

So for the others reading this thread who might care please note that a complaint was already filed on 3/24/16 with NHTSA for model year 2015 with this exact same issue observed and is #108882754. The complaint I filed this week is #10910271 for model year 2016. I didn't see this previous complaint until now since the NHTSA is by Make/Model/Year and not just Make/Model.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=C&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=10882754

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=C&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=10910271

FirstEV4me said:
JoulesThief said:

JoulesThief: Well played sir, well played. If I understand your post correctly, you have made a complaint to NHTSA that people don't read the owners manual which is well, must say quite priceless on a Saturday night sipping a cocktail and actually made me laugh so thank you for that entertainment. I can't wait for it to show up on the NHTSA website which will be quite rich.

Cheers to my slightly intellectually challenged interlocuter Mr. JoulesThief

So for the others reading this thread who might care please note that a complaint was already filed on 3/24/16 with NHTSA for model year 2015 with this exact same issue observed and is #108882754. The complaint I filed this week is #10910271 for model year 2016. I didn't see this previous complaint until now since the NHTSA is by Make/Model/Year and not just Make/Model.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=C&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=10882754

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=C&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=10910271

Yeah, it's called a Rookie Move, by you, being a new e-Golf owner.

I just did this on the freeway in the fast lane, went to switch to ECO mode and instead hit the power button twice in rapid succession. Fortunately the eGolf is pretty slippery so I was able to get across the freeway to pull over and perform a restart. That was not fun.

It’s poorly located :( should have been designed to either be a button on the dash, or to require a long press as the second press is the car is moving.

To avoid this I try to remember to space out the mode button presses so I can make sure I’m pressing the right button.

Glad you got it across and restarted safely!

Sparklebeard said:
It’s poorly located :( should have been designed to either be a button on the dash, or to require a long press as the second press is the car is moving.

To avoid this I try to remember to space out the mode button presses so I can make sure I’m pressing the right button.

Glad you got it across and restarted safely!
Thanks! I ran into this a few weeks ago but back then I was pressing once, then looking at display and it said "press again to turn off car". Oh dear!

Not sure how I would do this and make it look stock, but a flip up lid over the start button would work and prevent this. Or do like you said, press once and look to confirm vs a 'double tap'.

The "engine" on/off button is in pretty much the same spot as every recent Audi I have driven with push button starting. The problem is the added "mode" button and proximity to the start button. Easy solution, don't use the Mode button (never found it very useful except to switch back to Normal with 18 miles to go, and even then we seldom use it). Software could be better (lockout when vehicle in motion).

I find you can do the same thing as the mode button, just by driving it less aggressively with throttle application, acceleration rates and turning off the fan and A/C. So why even have it? Just another gimmick for operators with no self control.

JoulesThief said:
I find you can do the same thing as the mode button, just by driving it less aggressively with throttle application, acceleration rates and turning off the fan and A/C. So why even have it? Just another gimmick for operators with no self control.

I mostly agree. The only time I ever hit that button is when the car automatically switches to Eco Mode at 18 miles remaining and I want Normal for climate control (which is almost never). Otherwise a mostly useless switch and waste of wire.

Back