2016 SE w/ Fast Charge Offer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhan89

2016 SE w/ Fast Charge option
Selling Price: $24,770
MSRP: $31,491

Is this a good selling price on a lease? What have you all been offered?

Is this including the federal rebate? If not, then that looks pretty good, but I am not absolutely sure as I've only been looking at the SELs.

Where were you quoted that deal?

Without the federal rebate. If I take it, I'll get the federal tax inventive and graduation credit. It's a dealership in MD.

I don't think it's a good selling price, they are including the 7500 rebate on their end, into "your" price. You need to get a lot more off of 31,500- 7500 for it to be a good price. Like another $2000 or more off of that. Wait until end of month to do the deal, when they are in need of your sale to make their numbers, like Oct 27th-31st.

The lease company gets the federal rebate if you lease, not you. You only get the federal rebate if you BUY the car.

JoulesThief said:
I don't think it's a good selling price, they are including the 7500 rebate on their end, into "your" price. You need to get a lot more off of 31,600- 7500 for it to be a good price. Like another $2000 or more off of that. Wait until end of month to do the deal, when they are in need of your sale to make their numbers, like Oct 27th-31st.

The lease company gets the federal rebate if you lease, not you. You only get the federal rebate if you BUY the car.

Wait I still get the full $7,500 credit. So the that price if I get the full credit still isn't good? Just trying to get a good idea compared to the prices people have gotten on their leases since it's not exactly apples to apples if we compare monthly payments due to different taxes and fees from state to state.

bhan89 said:
JoulesThief said:
I don't think it's a good selling price, they are including the 7500 rebate on their end, into "your" price. You need to get a lot more off of 31,600- 7500 for it to be a good price. Like another $2000 or more off of that. Wait until end of month to do the deal, when they are in need of your sale to make their numbers, like Oct 27th-31st.

Wait I still get the full $7,500 credit. So the that price if I get the full credit still isn't good?

I don't have the patience for teaching / helping you, please find someone else. IMHO, you are making a huge mistake with 18k miles a year on an electric eGolf. I can't in good conscience steer you off a cliff to your own demise. Get an ICE, for those kinds of miles, or buy a used car instead. I own cars more than capable of 18k miles a year, VW TDI's. I also OWN, not leased, my 2015 e-Golf SEL. Today is it's one year aniversary, and it has 7650 miles on it in a year. Thats the kind of miles per year the car is designed for, not 18k miles a year.
I am not going to support you in making a bad decision. Figure it out yourself, and live with your decision, and learn. It might be a very expensive mistake for you, and a huge waste of time tethered to an EVSE. If you could rent an EVSE for a week, and have to charge it, in a normal weeks use, you'd better understand.

Do yourself a favor, walk out of this dealership, ignore them until month end. Always do your deals on a car at a dealership at month end. Always. I get 4 to 6 bids via email, and never in the same area, I shop state wide here in California. In your case, you'll have to shop multiple states back east to find the best micro region that wants to earn your business. A new car for a great price is a lot of work. How hard you work finding the best value determines how much you save.

bhan89 said:
2016 SE w/ Fast Charge option
MSRP: $31,491

You're at 22% off MSRP and that's a great deal IMO, especially considering it's outside California. It's comparable to the sale price of my base SE, which was $23,534.

If you'll be paying more than $7500 in Federal taxes this year, may want to consider buying. From what I understand, Maryland does not have a duration requirement, so you could save $10,500 in taxes and just sell it next year, likely making a small profit. But that would carry some risk and leasing may be a safe bet anyway.

bhan89 said:
I don't have the patience for teaching / helping you, please find someone else.
No need to be pissy, mate if you don't want to help you don't have to.

bhan89 said:
I shop state wide here in California
How would you transport an electric vehicle if you happen to find a deal across the state? Just curious.

bhan89 said:
Basically if this is indeed the selling price, and not the federal rebate discounted price, then it looks pretty good. Follow it through to a monthly payment and report back.

You can ship a car from NorCal to SoCal for about $350, so it's pretty easy to find a deal at the other end of the state that will save you more than that. Not only that, but there are fast chargers up and down the state, so you could drive it yourself if you had a little patience and did a little planning.

miimura said:
You can ship a car from NorCal to SoCal for about $350, so it's pretty easy to find a deal at the other end of the state that will save you more than that. Not only that, but there are fast chargers up and down the state, so you could drive it yourself if you had a little patience and did a little planning.

BMWtech did just that in November 2015. Flew in from San Jose to LAX, took the Flyaway to Van Nuys, I picked him up at VNY, whisked him up to Parkway VW in Valencia where his new 2015 SEL was waiting at a great price. I think he paid 27 or 28k for it, then got the $7500 Fed tax credit and then got the CA rebate for $2500. He drove it from Valencia to San Luis Obispo the first day, from 3 pm, to whenever that night, charged in Goleta at a DC charger at Home Depot, made Santa Maria VW, got some charge there to make it the rest of the way to SLO, where he got a room and recharged fully overnight. Next stop was King City, ChargePoint 100 was broken there, so he spent 3.5 hours at the college, and was home by 4 or 5pm in Los Gatos. Lot of driving, lot of planning, but he made it, slow but sure.

An older gentlemen, but he bought it outright, and yes, he loves his e-Golf.

JoulesThief said:
bhan89 said:
JoulesThief said:

Wait I still get the full $7,500 credit. So the that price if I get the full credit still isn't good?

I don't have the patience for teaching / helping you, please find someone else. IMHO, you are making a huge mistake with 18k miles a year on an electric eGolf. I can't in good conscience steer you off a cliff to your own demise. Get an ICE, for those kinds of miles, or buy a used car instead. I own cars more than capable of 18k miles a year, VW TDI's. I also OWN, not leased, my 2015 e-Golf SEL. Today is it's one year aniversary, and it has 7650 miles on it in a year. Thats the kind of miles per year the car is designed for, not 18k miles a year.
I am not going to support you in making a bad decision. Figure it out yourself, and live with your decision, and learn. It might be a very expensive mistake for you, and a huge waste of time tethered to an EVSE. If you could rent an EVSE for a week, and have to charge it, in a normal weeks use, you'd better understand.

Do yourself a favor, walk out of this dealership, ignore them until month end. Always do your deals on a car at a dealership at month end. Always. I get 4 to 6 bids via email, and never in the same area, I shop state wide here in California. In your case, you'll have to shop multiple states back east to find the best micro region that wants to earn your business. A new car for a great price is a lot of work. How hard you work finding the best value determines how much you save.

Got the car on Monday. Have been averaging around 50 miles a day and haven't had any problems with charging even with the charger that came with the car. Now that I have a level 2 charger in my house, it's definitely possibly to put over 7,500 miles up to 15,000 miles on the car.

JoulesThief said:
bhan89 said:
JoulesThief said:

Anyone has an access to lvl 2 charger at work, it'd be easy to put 150 miles/day... that'd be 39k/yr, just for commuting
Due to drop in residuals, it may not be economical to lease EV with high mileage allowance, but this is different matter of saying EV is not designed for over 7.5k/yr.

jjj240 said:
Anyone has an access to lvl 2 charger at work, it'd be easy to put 150 miles/day... that'd be 39k/yr, just for commuting
Due to drop in residuals, it may not be economical to lease EV with high mileage allowance, but this is different matter of saying EV is not designed for over 7.5k/yr.
I have several chargers at work...which are always FULL haha.

I don't need to use, but if I know I need to use (as I forgot to charge the night before) I get there early to beat the crowd.

Back