Bike rack options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just installed a CURT Trailer Hitch #11412 on my 2016 e-Golf SEL.

Would love to see a pic of the mounting points also! This looks to fit much better than the version I ordered (and returned)!

From what I can see of the shape it would be a different location, but want to confirm.

Look up EcoHitch - Going with this one. Does involve cutting a bit of your lower plastic part of your bumper, but a lot cleaner to me and sits slightly higher.

So I found the roof mounted rack seemed to affect my aerodynamics and thus efficiency more than I anticipated. Unscientifically, I lost ~10% which isn't insignificant with our already limited range. I've gone with the Curt 11412 hitch / 1up USA bike rack combo. The only 'drawback' is that they aren't light: the hitch and rack were about 20lbs each. The price to pay for quality. <P>

a>

a>

a>

a>

dieselgti said:
i just installed a CURT Trailer Hitch #11412 on my 2016 e-Golf SEL.

Would love to see a pic of the mounting points also! This looks to fit much better than the version I ordered (and returned)!

From what I can see of the shape it would be a different location, but want to confirm.

See my pics above.

sirshan said:
Look up EcoHitch - Going with this one. Does involve cutting a bit of your lower plastic part of your bumper, but a lot cleaner to me and sits slightly higher.

Cutting?! No way, I wouldn't cut into my brand new car.
And sitting higher is not necessarily a good thing. If it sits too high the PDC will sound off every time you put it into reverse, unless you don't have the bike rack installed of course. Look at my pics, the Curt is well stowed, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. AND even with the bike rack in, the PDC doesn't sound off unless the bike rack is folded into the up position.

I don't have PDC...but yes, it would set it off with a bike rack. My X5 has PDC and it goes off all the time with the rack on - none issue, shut it off with a button.

As far as cutting...its simple. The lower valance plastic part can be replaced easily...so Im not worried about it.

_dsc0540.jpg

Nice, clean install.

Thanks everybody for the tips and pictures!

I picked up my new e-Golf last Saturday and installed a Curt 11412 hitch last night. The info on this board helped tremendously with the selection and installation.

The hitch was super easy to install. I only had to cut some excess sealant from one of the holes. VW wasn't kidding around when they sprayed that on.

I think it looks nice and nearly disappears under the fender, at least on my night-blue Golf. Now I am ready for my mixed commute, e-Golf 5 miles and bike 12 miles one way.

2wfn8gp.jpg

wr05r7.jpg

346thet.jpg

I am looking to install a hitch on my 2017 e-Golf. I am a little concerned about reduction in ground clearance with the Curt 11412 hitch. Any comment from those who have it?

And the pictures of the EcoHitch install seem to have expired. Can those who have it please repost?

Also, are there any newer hitch models that were released since the last post around 1 year ago?

Appreciate your feedback.

egolf2017toronto said:
I am looking to install a hitch on my 2017 e-Golf. I am a little concerned about reduction in ground clearance with the Curt 11412 hitch. Any comment from those who have it?

And the pictures of the EcoHitch install seem to have expired. Can those who have it please repost?

Also, are there any newer hitch models that were released since the last post around 1 year ago?

Appreciate your feedback.

I just installed the curt hitch recently. Havent had any issues with ground clearance. The square receiver is pretty close to the bumper. Not sure if there are newer hitch models.

Back