20K miles club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetaldj

Hi All,

Anybody pass 20K miles already? Today I officially cross the mark. Looking for 20K service soon.

Thanks!

21940 and still happy.

Only ever DC fast charged once so far, just never needed it.
Mostly L1 due wife's 500e doing more miles daily and needing our L2.

Battery seems good as new but no automated way to tell.
Who cares.......... it's a lease and I don't see the battery becoming an issue in the 3 years I will have the car.

Barry

JoulesThief said:
Have you kept track of how much range you've lost on a battery charge?

How do you keep track of how much range you've lost on you battery charge?

My 2015 just hit 32,103 on the clock, almost all interstate commuting in S. Florida. Although I haven't calculated the battery degradation, my recollection is that the maximum range was 127mi when it was delivered new, and I just charged to 107mi (after using 55%+/- of the range in a best case morning commute scenario). So, I've lost 20mi of theoretical range in 32k miles of driving. Anyone recall what the trigger point is on VWs battery warranty? I seem to recall 30%.

Sparky said:
My 2015 just hit 32,103 on the clock, almost all interstate commuting in S. Florida. Although I haven't calculated the battery degradation, my recollection is that the maximum range was 127mi when it was delivered new, and I just charged to 107mi (after using 55%+/- of the range in a best case morning commute scenario). So, I've lost 20mi of theoretical range in 32k miles of driving. Anyone recall what the trigger point is on VWs battery warranty? I seem to recall 30%.
If you're just going by the range number displayed by the car, it doesn't mean anything. That number is based on your driving history. You really need to go through the steps I outlined in the Battery Degradation thread and see what you get. Doing that calculation several times with different drive data sets will give you a much better idea of your actual usable energy available.

The warranty is to maintain 70% of the original capacity, so you're right, 30% loss would trigger the warranty. I really doubt you've lost 20/84=23.8% of the battery capacity. However, anything is possible.

miimura said:
If you're just going by the range number displayed by the car, it doesn't mean anything. That number is based on your driving history. You really need to go through the steps I outlined in the Battery Degradation thread and see what you get. Doing that calculation several times with different drive data sets will give you a much better idea of your actual usable energy available.

The warranty is to maintain 70% of the original capacity, so you're right, 30% loss would trigger the warranty. I really doubt you've lost 20/84=23.8% of the battery capacity. However, anything is possible.

Thanks. I'll likely ask VW if they can share any metrics on the degradation at this point (as I'm approaching the end of the 3/36k warranty). My usage is a bit outside the typical owner, in that I regularly commute 104+ miles per day, and L2 recharge twice daily. So, the battery is probably a good test case to show the degradation effects from high use.

I can say that, generally speaking, unless I recharge following a best case commute scenario, the range number displayed by the car doesn't go much beyond 87mi (and it used to show 127mi when new).

Sparky said:
miimura said:

Thanks. I'll likely ask VW if they can share any metrics on the degradation at this point (as I'm approaching the end of the 3/36k warranty). My usage is a bit outside the typical owner, in that I regularly commute 104+ miles per day, and L2 recharge twice daily. So, the battery is probably a good test case to show the degradation effects from high use.

I can say that, generally speaking, unless I recharge following a best case commute scenario, the range number displayed by the car doesn't go much beyond 87mi (and it used to show 127mi when new).
That is perfectly normal for freeway driving.

Back