California Clean Air Vehicle Decal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliffrdog

Hi All,

I just leased an e-golf SEL and had a question regarding the process of obtaining the Clean Air Vehicle decal so that I can get myself into the carpool lane in California. Do I have to wait until I receive my license plate number or can I just send it in with the VIN number? I'm just trying to expedite the process as much as possible because it sounds like there is a few weeks lag for DMV to even process these applications.

Thanks in advance!

If your dealer did not apply for it in advance (meaning they were included with the car) unfortunately you will have to wait until you get your license plates in order to apply. That typically takes 2 weeks, but my dealer took its sweet time and my plates didn't arrive for over 3 weeks, almost a month later.

RonDawg said:
If your dealer did not apply for it in advance (meaning they were included with the car) unfortunately you will have to wait until you get your license plates in order to apply. That typically takes 2 weeks, but my dealer took its sweet time and my plates didn't arrive for over 3 weeks, almost a month later.

My dealer quoted 2 weeks to 2 months for my license plates to come in! Such a painful process to have to wait for the HOV decal. How long did it take you to actually receive your decal once you submitted it to the DMV? I'm also assuming you're not really allowed to drive in the HOV lane without the decal?

According to my records, I leased the car on 7/24, sent DMV a check on 8/18 (immediately after my plates showed up in the mail), and it was cashed on 9/17. Stickers I believe showed up within a week after being cashed.

No you cannot legally drive in the HOV lanes solo without the stickers. CHP has been known to pull over Teslas and Leafs without the stickers, so I wouldn't try it with something as "stealth" as an eGolf.

RonDawg said:
According to my records, I leased the car on 7/24, sent DMV a check on 8/18 (immediately after my plates showed up in the mail), and it was cashed on 9/17. Stickers I believe showed up within a week after being cashed.

No you cannot legally drive in the HOV lanes solo without the stickers. CHP has been known to pull over Teslas and Leafs without the stickers, so I wouldn't try it with something as "stealth" as an eGolf.

It used to be that legally, if you mailed in the check, the date of mail in was the effective date for receiving the service/credit, by law.

JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

It used to be that legally, if you mailed in the check, the date of mail in was the effective date for receiving the service/credit, by law.

I don't think that ever applied to HOV exemption stickers. From the California Vehicle Code:

21655.9 (b) A person shall not drive a vehicle described in subdivision (a) of Section 5205.5 with a single occupant upon a high-occupancy vehicle lane pursuant to this section unless the decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to Section 5205.5 is properly displayed on the vehicle, and the vehicle registration described in Section 5205.5 is with the vehicle.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
RonDawg said:

I don't think that ever applied to HOV exemption stickers. From the California Vehicle Code:

21655.9 (b) A person shall not drive a vehicle described in subdivision (a) of Section 5205.5 with a single occupant upon a high-occupancy vehicle lane pursuant to this section unless the decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to Section 5205.5 is properly displayed on the vehicle, and the vehicle registration described in Section 5205.5 is with the vehicle.

Not going to argue with you, contract law states that services become effective the moment you pay for it. I'd show the officer my check book, with the date the check was mailed, and I'd show it to the judge too... that may be fine and dandy, but you get what you pay for, when you pay for it. Showing and proving intent that you were following the the law by paying first, shows you are law abiding. Basic Business Contract Law 320, showing consideration. This has been law since in England in the 1600's, the basis still exists today. DMV's terms may very well be unenforceable.

You're conflating civil law with what technically in California falls under a "criminal" statute. Yes CA Vehicle Code infractions are considered "criminal"....it's just that the maximum punishment for something like this is just a fine, rather than possible imprisonment as would be the case with a misdemeanor or felony.

RonDawg said:
You're conflating civil law with what technically in California falls under a "criminal" statute. Yes CA Vehicle Code infractions are considered "criminal"....it's just that the maximum punishment for something like this is just a fine, rather than possible imprisonment as would be the case with a misdemeanor or felony.

Hey, I've never lost in court, yet. Just saying... If I've paid, services need to be rendered upon payment. And I'd tell it to the judge too, fighting the ticket, what my understanding of the law is. I'd also argue the DMV practiced criminal neglect in being so slow to process and mail out something so simple. It's all on computer these days.

The reality is I am retired, and don't need the diamond lane, ever. Matter of fact, I don't drive, if at all possible, when everyone else is trying either to get to or from work, or school, or somewhere on a 3 day weekend..

Thanks for the tips @RonDawg! At least you gave me a rough timeline of what to expect. I think I'll play it safe and stay in the regular commuter lanes until I get the decal. It's not worth the trouble of possibly fighting a ticket in court, time is money.

cliffrdog said:
Thanks for the tips @RonDawg! At least you gave me a rough timeline of what to expect. I think I'll play it safe and stay in the regular commuter lanes until I get the decal. It's not worth the trouble of possibly fighting a ticket in court, time is money.

A good plan, clifrdog. Speeding tickets aren't worth it either, they are quite expensive, so I hear.

cliffrdog said:

As carpool lane violation convictions are over $400, definitely not worth the risk.

Just a bit of FYI.

As of Friday CA ran out of Green HOV stickers. That means any Prius sold today will NOT get a hov sticker...yikes.

They are taking a waiting list though, because the Legislature could extend (and has done so at least twice) the maximum allotment. You can also believe that the biggest manufacturers of PHEVs will lobby Sacramento to make that happen.

Looks like I have no HOV lanes on my commute, per:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trafmgmt/hov/

I guess I could still get white CAV stickers for the 1-2 times a year I'll use it to go to some conference... Although, said conferences would be pushing the round-trip range limit...

Since this is a lease, the thought did cross my mind that maybe I would be helping the next owner by already having done the paperwork, when I ran across the below at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal :

5. Q: I acquired a vehicle with CAV decals and transferred it into my name. Do I also have to transfer the CAV decal ownership into my name?

A: Yes. If you purchase a vehicle with existing decals, you must transfer the decals to your name using the Application for Clean Air Vehicle Decal (REG 1000) (PDF). There is no cost provided that all required CAV decals are present on the vehicle. You will be issued a new CAV decal ID card with your name once your CAV decal transfer application is processed.

Bah, so the new owner would have to fill out the form entirely anyway.

Once I received my plates it took close to a month before I received my DMV Diamond Lane decals. The next owner has to do some kind of DMV "title" transfer as I recall reading on the DMV website. I hope that this helps.

I received my HOV decals when I left the dealership. They had an extra set lying around.

BobLoblaw said:
I received my HOV decals when I left the dealership. They had an extra set lying around.
There is no such thing as an "extra set". They must have ordered the decals for your VIN in advance. You should have also received a certificate with the dealership's name as the registered owner. The decals have a serial number that is tied to the VIN number. If they do it right, they will file the paperwork with your name and you will receive the revised certificate in the mail from the DMV in several weeks.

My dealer gave me the decals at closing. I am now retired so I almost never drive on the freeway. I think the white decals will really mess up my gray car so I am not going to put them on.

On my Mercedes B I used the stickers once to bypass the signal at the on ramp. I never used the car pool lanes. In light traffic the main lanes move as fast or faster.

I ordered some magnetic sign backing from Amazon. When it gets here I am going to use it with the stickers. I will only put them on when needed, otherwise they will be in the glove compartment waiting.

Back