Replaced charging parts, now charging half speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmndcha

I have a 2015 eGolf that I bought new in Aug 2015. It stopped charging so I took it to the dealer. The service tech found that the charging system control unit was faulty and that there 'many other faults'.

They:
- replaced the unit and reprogrammed the system
- updated the software for a cooling system fault
- there's a weird note that says the technician found oil software in system

After getting the car back fully charged, I drove it to around half-charge and plugged in to charge. I was stunned to see it was going to take almost 2.5 times as long as normal to charge. I took it back and the tech tried to explain to me why I was wrong and it was functioning properly. He finally took the car back and they contacted VW to open another case.

After letting me know that they have tried multiple things and it's charging fine, in fact faster than the other car they tested it against, they said it's likely the charging unit (I use public chargers only at this point). I took it back, tried two that I use all the time, and it's now charging twice as slow as it used to, so slightly faster than the first time I got it after replacing the unit and doing the software updates, but twice as slow as it used to.

I have little faith that they will fix it since they keep telling me it's fine and that they've never seen this before.

Has any one else had this issue? If so, was it successfully resolved?
Thanks

There is a setting in the infotainment that selects charging speeds.

Also sometimes the public chargers do charge at lower speeds (especially if you have another car plugged in), Chargepoint is guilty of this.

This is not hard to figure out. Look at the SOC on the small inset analog gauge on the right side of the instrument panel. Take the 16ths used from that gauge and multiply by 20kWh. After the car starts charging, open the driver's door and it should tell you on the instrument panel how long the charging will take.

For example, you have used 9/16ths of the battery (the gauge is one tick left of the vertical half full mark) and the car says it will be done in 2:07 (hr:min). So, you have to recharge 9/16*20kWh = 11.25kWh The time is 2.12 hours, so 11.25/2.12 = 5.3kW The charger is only about 85% efficient, so divide by that. 5.3kW DC / 0.85 = 6.24kW AC If we assume it's charging at the maximum 30 amps, we get 6240 W / 30 amps = 208 VAC, which is typical for a commercial location.

The example above is a little contrived because I ran the calculation backward first to get the time, but you get the idea. If you know the voltage at the location, like your home, then you can find the effective current directly, including the efficiency loss if you like.

Of course, you should do as others have said and try to reset everything in the e-Manager settings to make sure that those are not reducing your charging current. It could be worthwhile to go through the exercise to lower it, save it, raise it to Max again and save that, just to make sure that the value you want is saved. You never know, when they changed the parts, the stored values may not match the user settings.

forbin404 said:
There is a setting in the infotainment that selects charging speeds.

Also sometimes the public chargers do charge at lower speeds (especially if you have another car plugged in), Chargepoint is guilty of this.

That is not the case on 2015 e-Golf USA models. It must be done through VW car-net.

Back