Problem with Level 2 Charger (Siemens Versicharge)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TapEx

Hi All,

I recently purchased and installed Siemens 30A Level 2 charger (VC30GRYU). I read about the delay function not working with the 2015 eGolf models BUT the problem I have is even worse! The charger would go in and out of charging mode (every time it happens I would hear a loud CLICK), some time as frequently as 2-3 times a minute. I googled this issue and I found a video on YouTube and the person experience the EXACT problem I am having (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs4GjnS7a2o&t=8s).

9/10 times the charger would stop charging the car after 30 minutes, plain stops. No fault on the charger, no fault indicated on the car.

1/10 times I would get lucky and the charger will not cycle on and off, and would charge the car until 70-80%.

I am so frustrated with this issue I don't know what to do. I can't return the charger, and Siemens is not responding to my inquiries.

I have used ChargePoint and Blink charging stations before and never experienced this issue.

Any suggestion?

THanks

I have the same charger for my 2015 SEL. I use the delayed charging feature that comes with the car-net app on my phone. I come home at night, push in the Versicharge and when I am ready to leave in the morning, it's all set to go. Never have had any problems.

On my 2016SE the only way to enable the timed charge is to lock the doors.

Does it work that way for you guys?

I am not even trying to use the delay function! The car/charger just don't work (as shown in the Youtube video). I need to call Siemen's tech support and try to get a replacement unit, it should still be under warranty.

Back to the charger that came with the car :(

Is the charger plugged directly into the 220V receptacle or are you using any kind of extension cord?

Frank3 said:
Is the charger plugged directly into the 220V receptacle or are you using any kind of extension cord?
The video he posted shows a direct connection to the 220

forbin404 said:
Frank3 said:
The video he posted shows a direct connection to the 220

The video he posted wasn't him, "and the person experience the EXACT problem I am having".

Frank3 said:

It is plugged directly into the wall outlet (NEMA 6-50). The receptacle is on a 40 amp breaker, and the electrician used 8 gauge wire for the circuit.

I was able to get the unit to work TWICE out of many many many tries.

I tried different 'sequences' as people suggested in other forum.

Like:

Plug the charger in, then lock the door.
Plug the charger in, then leave it unlocked
Plug the charger in, leave the door open
Plug the charger in, turn on the car

I am out of combinations to try. :? :? :?

Back