[Sticky] Charging Times clarified for all models and levels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
95GLX said:
If the ChargePoint+ has the SAE combo plug will that always give you a fast charge or can you just go normal charge? Since the fast charge is the best to prolong battery life.

You misunderstood, the fast charge is the least conducive of prolonging battery life. Slow charging promotes long battery life. Hence the 7.2 and 3.6 kwh chargers on board, which is what you should use 95+% of the time.

Go read up on Leafs with short battery life in hot climates like AZ, in the heat, which is damaging. Charging fast generates heat in the battery, which is damaging to the battery and reduces it's useful life. This has always been the dilemma of recharging quickly.

Wait, and get anything you want with the 7.2kwh charger on board. VW suggests using the DCFC unit "sparingly" with no back to back DCFC recharges, it's in the owners manual. You really need a 240v 50amp outlet that will handle a 40 amp EVSE, if you want to do things right. A 30 amp welder outlet is only good for 24 amps, it is derated to 80% for continuous load like when recharging an electric car.

Unless where you work supplies an EVSE for you in the workplace parking lot, mooching electrons for free is a tough way to go. Better to provide your own source of recharging, on both ends, or pay to recharge somewhere near work. I don't feel with bad weather, a 50 mile commute each way is going to work out for you, unless you enjoy being tethered and waiting for a recharge... the base entry SE is probably not your best option, IMHO, not with 50 miles each way. That's two recharges per day.

It's a killer deal alright, so good a deal they can't give it away. There's your sign.[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I needed confirmation of my concerns. Dealer was assuring me I would be okay with the 3.6 KWH charger even if I only had 4 hours are work. I wasn't sure they were accurate from my research and then found this thread.

My welder outlet is actually 240V 60 amps; two connecting 30 amp breakers. I thought they were only 20 amps each. So, home charging would be a level 2 40 AMP EVSE. I will throw my meter on it to double check output. I am in a federal building with no parking so charging at work will have to be on a public charger, it's a Green Charge/ChargePoint+ station. I guess I will wait. I am sure when the longer range 2017's come out I can get an even better deal on a 2016 with the 7.2 KWH onboard.

If the ChargePoint+ has the SAE combo plug will that always give you a fast charge or can you just go normal charge? Since the fast charge is the best to prolong battery life.

Also, will the SAE combo plug even connect to a non DCFC e-Golf charge port?[/quote]

you have two 30 amp breakers at 120. 120 +120 at 30 amps is 240V at 30 amps, not 60 amps.

JoulesThief said:
95GLX said:

You misunderstood, the fast charge is the least conducive of prolonging battery life. Slow charging promotes long battery life. Hence the 7.2 and 3.6 kwh chargers on board, which is what you should use 95+% of the time.

Go read up on Leafs with short battery life in hot climates like AZ, in the heat, which is damaging. Charging fast generates heat in the battery, which is damaging to the battery and reduces it's useful life. This has always been the dilemma of recharging quickly.

I wrote that wrong for sure, good catch. I was trying to ask about the public stations with the Combo SAE chargers, I know you want to avoid fast charging unless you really need it. So, with the SAE Combo chargers that ChargePoint+ offers, do you have to fast charge if you hook up to them? Or, can you choose to just charge through the SAE J1772 port only?

95GLX said:
JoulesThief said:
95GLX said:

I wrote that wrong for sure, good catch. I was trying to ask about the public stations with the Combo SAE chargers, I know you want to avoid fast charging unless you really need it. So, with the SAE Combo chargers that ChargePoint+ offers, do you have to fast charge if you hook up to them? Or, can you choose to just charge through the SAE J1772 port only?

You hook up to a level 2 charger with a J1772 handle to charge at level 2, you hook up to a SAE combo plug to a DCFC port on your car to charge at level 3. No, a level 3 charger will not charge at level 2 rates. Level 2 rates are ac voltage passed through the on board charger in the car, which converts to DC voltage to recharge your battery.

[/quote]

You hook up to a level 2 charger with a J1772 handle to charge at level 2, you hook up to a SAE combo plug to a DCFC port on your car to charge at level 3. No, a level 3 charger will not charge at level 2 rates. Level 2 rates are ac voltage passed through the on board charger in the car, which converts to DC voltage to recharge your battery.[/quote]

Dang, that is what I was afraid of. No way to avoid fast charging on the public SAE combo chargers available to me in Norfolk. Thanks again. I am sure there are others who will benefit from all this chatter.

You hook up to a level 2 charger with a J1772 handle to charge at level 2, you hook up to a SAE combo plug to a DCFC port on your car to charge at level 3. No, a level 3 charger will not charge at level 2 rates. Level 2 rates are ac voltage passed through the on board charger in the car, which converts to DC voltage to recharge your battery.[/quote]

Dang, that is what I was afraid of. No way to avoid fast charging on the public SAE combo chargers available to me in Norfolk. Thanks again. I am sure there are others who will benefit from all this chatter.[/quote]

it's pretty hard to find level 3 chargers without some level 2 chargers near by, also. Adjust your search parameters to "J-1772" on your EVSE charging apps to find more options.

Just a refresher, since VW e-Golfs with 35.8 kWh batteries are either already here or coming soon, to a dealership near you. If you get a 2017 or later model e-Golf, add in a factor of 1.5x the charging times shown for 2015 and 2016 e-Golfs equipped with the 7.2kwh charger version on board.

JoulesThief said:
Just a refresher, since VW e-Golfs with 35.8 kWh batteries are either already here or coming soon, to a dealership near you. If you get a 2017 or later model e-Golf, add in a factor of 1.5x the charging times shown for 2015 and 2016 e-Golfs equipped with the 7.2kwh charger version on board.
I think the OP already included that in their calcs.

Has anyone managed to find any charging info on the new Volkswagen models coming out?
  • Volkswagen ID Neo Charging Cable
    Volkswagen ID Vizzion (To Be Launched in 2022)
    Volkswagen ID.3 (Available in 2020)
    Volkswagen ID.Buzz ( To be Launched 2022)
    Volkswagen ID.Crozz (To be Launched in 2020)

I have a 2016 egolf with a fast charger package. I installed the J A Daniell's EV Power Plug 240v 32a cost $250.00 new. It does not have any bells and whistles it is a good basic charger that does a great job. I cannot believe the speed at which if charges my car apprx 2 1/2 hours or even less if I have about 18 miles left in the battery.

JoulesThief said:
you have two 30 amp breakers at 120. 120 +120 at 30 amps is 240V at 30 amps, not 60 amps.

Thanks dude, I am glad to see someone else realizes the 2 breakers are just the 2 120V lines coming into building. Each carries 30A. Lots of people get this wrong. Hmmm now if I could figgure out the quote technique to not include too much. I seemed to delete something more. It looks bad in Preview...

Thank you for consolidating and providing the charging times for the e-Golf models. Your post seems to provide accurate information, and I'll confirm and update any discrepancies if necessary. Here's the breakdown of the charging times based on the year and model of the e-Golf:

2017-2020 e-Golf SE:

AC Level 1: Approximately 29 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a standard NEMA 5-15 wall plug (110V/120V).
AC Level 2: As low as 5.5 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a 220V/240V home connector such as NEMA 6-20.
DC Fast charger: Not applicable (N/A).
2017-2020 e-Golf SEL:

AC Level 1: Approximately 29 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a standard NEMA 5-15 wall plug (110V/120V).
AC Level 2: As low as 5.5 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a 220V/240V home connector such as NEMA 6-20.
DC Fast charger: Approximately between 40 minutes and 1.5 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE Combo connector and a public fast charging station like Blink DC Fast Charger or ChargePoint Express.
2016 e-Golf (SE without $1675 Fast Charging option):

AC Level 1: Approximately 20 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a standard NEMA 5-15 wall plug (110V/120V).
AC Level 2: Approximately 7.6 hours for a 100% charge due to the 3.6 kW charger (instead of 7.2 kW) using the SAE J1772 connector and a home connector.
DC Fast charger: Not applicable (N/A).
2015 e-Golf (SEL or Limited Edition) or 2016 e-Golf (SEL or SE with $1675 Fast Charging Package):

AC Level 1: Approximately 20 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a standard NEMA 5-15 wall plug (110V/120V).
AC Level 2: As low as 4 hours for a 100% charge using the SAE J1772 connector and a 220V/240V home connector such as NEMA 6-20.
DC Fast charger: Approximately between 25 minutes and 1 hour for a 100% charge using the SAE Combo connector and a public fast charging station like Blink DC Fast Charger or ChargePoint Express.
I hope this clarifies and provides accurate charging time information for the e-Golf models.

Hey I have been trying to figure out the fastest 120 v charger I can use on a 20 amp plug I have access to at work. My Delphi charger that came with the car said 21 hours to charge and it said 10 amp on the back. The best one I could find said it was a 16 amp and it did drop the charge time down to 15 hours but I took a reading and I am only getting 14.5 amps and was hoping I could get a bit more out of a standard 120v plug 🔌 anyone have a product they would recommend?

Back