2015 Offer on a New eGolf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egolfinme

Good Morning,

I have a dealer that still has 2015 Limited Edition e-Golf on his lot. The price is $34,405 with a discount of $7,000 to be $27,405 (plus taxes, title, ect). After a possible $7,500 tax credit that could bring the car down even further. Being in the northeast I would prefer to have the heat-pump, which it does not have. Any thoughts if this is a good deal? Thanks

I leased my 2016 SEL e-Golf with a price of just over $22,000. You're looking at almost the same price for a car that is 1-year older, and lower trim. Honestly not worth it, in my opinion. You should be able to get a better deal on that car.

A 2016 eGolf SE w/DC Fast Charge package has an MSRP of $31,490 incl. destination charge per the VW website. Feature-wise, that's the closest thing to a 2015 LE that you can get in 2016, plus the newer version has the same alloy wheels of the SEL along with CarPlay/Android Auto and the ability to program the charge timers from the infotainment screen and not have to log into CarNet. If anything they should be knocking $7k off the $31,490 price that an equivalent 2016 goes for, not the $34,405 price on the sticker of the 2015.

Supposedly there is a guy on the Vortex e-Golf forums that purchased a new 2015 in MD a few weeks ago for only $15k but he won't post details on his deal. I called B.S. as I called most dealers in this area and the deal you propose is the best I found.

Also, you need to know that the $7500 federal tax credit only works for you if you owe more than $7500 in federal tax for the current tax year. If you normally get a return, change your withholding to 20 dependents so they take out less throughout the year and your tax credit will work out for you. You would need to calculate it all out to determine the best way to take advantage of that. More easily, take a lease if the terms work for you. VW takes the federal tax credit and they take the $7500 off the price of the vehicle on the lease terms.

I found a CPO 2015 SEL Premum with 1600 miles for $20K. A little give/take there but the tax credits don't work for me since I usually have a small refund ($200) each year. I manage wisely so my money works for me on investments throughout the year instead of a huge refund. The CPO gives me a bumper to bumper warranty through 5y/60K miles and insures all OEM materials are included with the car; manuals, charger, tool kit, tire mobility kit, etc.

If the BMW i3 REX was a 5 seater I would have jumped on one of those since BMW's CPO program gives you a warranty to 100K miles against manufacturer defects and a great finance rate. But I like the e-Golf better and I am a diehard VW guy so I couldn't pull the trigger on the i3.

Good luck!

95GLX said:
Also, you need to know that the $7500 federal tax credit only works for you if you owe more than $7500 in federal tax for the current tax year. If you normally get a return, change your withholding to 20 dependents so they take out less throughout the year and your tax credit will work out for you. You would need to calculate it all out to determine the best way to take advantage of that. More easily, take a lease if the terms work for you. VW takes the federal tax credit and they take the $7500 off the price of the vehicle on the lease terms.

As far as the Federal tax credit, it has nothing to do with how much you owe/get back at the end of the year. It has to do with your total tax liability; meaning, how much tax you're supposed to have paid throughout the year through a combination of withholdings, estimated taxes paid, and whatever amount you paid extra when doing your taxes (or getting a refund). For the 2016 Form 1040, I believe the figure you need to look at is Line 44.

According to the 2016 tax tables, in order to get a minimum $7500 in federal tax liability, you would need a taxable income of just under $47k for single/married filing separately, at least $56,200 for married filing jointly, and at least $52,850 for Head of Household: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

We bought a 2015 SEL last March for 27499 out the door in MA. IMHO if you live where it is cold get one with a heat pump.

During the beginning stages of TDI Hell for VW, in Oct of 2015, I went in and got a 2015 SEL for about $25,200 before taxes and registration. I qualified for all the other stuff here in CA. My net cost before taxes was about $15,200. I realize that I was the extreme exception, not the rule, I qualified for a $2000 owners loyalty bonus at the time, the likes of which I have not seen since.

Love everything about my 2015 SEL, especially the LED headlights. They are simply the best, for night driving. Incredible, how precise the beam it that they throw. A must have for these old eyes and driving at night. Totally made the SEL worth it to me, for that feature.

I would put the build quality and features right up there with a MB B class B250 electric, if not better or nicer. I'm no longer a big fan of a leather interior. Leatherette, as provided by VW is more that good enough for me.

RonDawg said:
JoulesThief said:
During the beginning stages of TDI Hell for VW

Speaking of which, what are you going to do with your TDI's? Keep, or sell back to VW?

I do enough long distance driving that I am most likely going to keep them. I need a 3.0 tdi to tow the travel trailer, and the Touareg TDI is very capable and surefooted at it.

Back