2017 Volkswagen e-Golf: first drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gvblake22 said:
Autoblog has posted their first drive in the 2017 e-Golf.
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/24/2017-volkswagen-e-golf-first-drive-review/?hcid=hp-tile-large
There are faster, sexier, more technologically advanced EVs out there with more range from automakers that don't have an emissions scandal underpinning all of their decision making. We're not sure there's an EV we'd rather have, though. The Volkswagen Golf is one of the best all-around cars on the planet today and swapping in an electric motor doesn't change that.
At the end of the Autblog story they messed up the descriptions of the trim levels. They talked about two different trims being "Limited Edition". Last I heard, they will have S, SE, SEL. The S will basically be like the 2016 SE, lacking DC fast charging. The SE will include fast charging and the SEL will be like the 2016 with everything. Driver Assistance will be extra on the SEL and that option package will be the only way to get the Digital Cockpit.

forbin404 said:
JoulesThief said:
Of course, I am thankful you know more than VW about building and designing cars, be it petrol powered or electric. Because you've designed and manufactured and sold how many cars? :mrgreen:

I will maintain that the rear charge port is more viable as still being functional in a minor fender bender accident, than one mounted in the nose piece /front grille. Tesla seems to agree with the practicality of it all, and they've sold how many electric cars? As does BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Fiat etc. Only the Japanese seem to mount the charge port in the front grille. Must be a Chademo thing. Let's agree to disagree on opinion.

404, where do you attend school? As a Student or as administration or as a professor?
What does manufacuting and designing cars have to do with anything?

I've CRASHED quite a few cars..haha That's first person experience.

Now if I was a designer, I would put the charging port on both places to make charging the car easy.

one of the main criteria is weight, redundant systems had better be very important to suffer the added weight. passenger side fuel door was for safety ( need fuel on the road ) as opposed to drivers side fuel door for convenience at a filling station, many considerations but parking parallel to road needs charge point on passenger side, and close to an end for slot parking, backing in to your parking spot is safest, rear passenger corner it is ;-) my 2 cents .. the front port on a leaf might lead me to drag a cord over the hood to reach , not paint friendly

Back