a few questions from new owner of 2017 SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCH

Hi everybody. I just bought new 2017 egolf SE. I love it so far (more than i expected). I also very much appreciated reading messages here as part of decision to purchase. Need some help with a few things (i.e., better explanations than in owner's manual...).

1. The drive mode appears to reset to normal when turning car off/on. Any way to set it to default to eco mode so that I don’t have to hit “mode” and select it each time i turn on?

2. Is there any material difference in regenerative charging between (a) hitting “mode” switch and selecting Eco on the screen and (b) moving the shifter right toward minus sign? (i know there are differences in other functions like limits on AC/heater/fans in "eco" mode)

3. Is there consensus on the best app to use on iphone or car screen to locate fast charging stations? (I'm in DC area if that makes a difference.) There's a lot of negative chatter about the VW app, which i have not yet used.

4. Is it stupid or sensible to carry a small spare tire on road trips? is that habit in conventional cars just a relic from era of bad tires? In my 30 years of driving, I've changed alot of flats on the side of the road...are the tires on the egolf much better or is it just about shedding unnecessary weight at all costs?

For prospective owners to benchmark, i paid $29,000 for SE with fast charging and maintenance warranty (excl sales tax).

1) No.
2) You're confusing two different things. Think of the mode switch as limiting throttle response, max power delivery, and other functions as you already mentioned. Think of the D/D1/D2/D3/B as the regenerative braking modes.
3) Plugshare, but that's just my opinion.
4) Not a bad idea to carry a small spare. VW (and other manufacturers) doesn't give you one to save weight and maximize trunk space. I always have a patch kit at a minimum regardless of trip length. It's also good to have if you do your own tire rotations.

And welcome!

1) No
2) Modes control what parts of the car work (such as A/C and going over 65)...Regen works whenever you are not on the pedal...that's why they can both work at the same time.
3) Plugshare all the way!
4) Sensible..very

Back