Buying EGolf out of state. Still elligible for rebates?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWay

We aren't offered the EGolf here in PA, but NJ is just over the bridge and they seem to have no problem selling one to me in PA. I've read through the IRS and PA websites with regard to the tax credits/rebates ($7,500 and $2,000 respectively) and just wanted to double check there's no issue trying to claim them since the car technically isn't available in my state. I would think, and it seems, no issue, but it's a fair bit of money to be incorrect about.

Has anyone else bought the Egolf from another state if not available in yours and successfully claimed the rebates?

Additionally, looking at the Edmunds.com Truemarket value pricing, it seems everyone is getting these WELL under invoice pricing. $36,265 MSRP, $34,847 invoice, with the Truemarket value being $32,127. Are they often so heavily discounted? I would be going for a '16 not a left over '15 which I understand the deals may be even better on.

It seems all the hottest deals are on leasing, which is sadly unavailable to me in PA. Trying to make the BUY make sense even though I'm sure batteries and the product itself will greatly evolve over the years rendering this old tech in relatively short order. I figured after 3yrs/36k it will probably be worth $10k.

Drove it yesterday for the first time and truly a neat car. Would fit just fine into my 40 mile daily suburban commute/daycare run.

Thanks for all the helps guys and gals.

Buying out of state should be no issue for the rebate. I purchased and electric car in NY state but still got the NJ incentive (No sales tax). I would call the state just to be sure.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/alternative_fuels_incentive_grant/10492/alternative_fuel_vehicles/553206

You will have to pay the PA sales taxes. NJ has no sales tax on electric cars.

For VW if the car is not sold in NJ (i.e. registered here) I they do not get the zero emissions credits for California. NJ is one one the states that has signed up to the CA standards. (Too complicated to explain here...there are other internet posts explaining this. ) This is why they will likely not give you the leasing deal as the car has to be registered in NJ to claim these credits. On purchase as well the incentives may not be there so you may not get as good deal as many have been getting.

The only other consideration would be service. You will probably have to bring the car back to the dealer in NJ if you need service. Even at the dealers here there are only 1-2 techs certified to work on the eGolf. I had one service appointment that was delayed as the eGolf technician was out sick the day of my appointment.

I think you are very close with the value after 3 years. I almost purchased, thinking I would spread the savings over many years as I usually keep cars for 10 years or so. In the end, I leased because in 3 years there will be much better electric cars out there and the lease give me the ability to upgrade easily.

As Massachusetts residents, we had researched leasing an eGolf from a Rhode Island dealer, and were assured that our purchase would still be eligible for the Massachusetts $2500 EV rebate offered on the eGolf. However this isn't quite the same as your situation, since the eGolf is already sold through MA dealers. We ended up leasing from a MA dealer anyway since we got the best deal there.

Cheers,
- Bob

Thanks for the assistance guys. I will ring PA tomorrow and see about their rebate. Fed I would guess no issue.

I wonder why they haven't made these available nationwide yet as I thought that was the plan for 2016. A bit silly they're limited to a relative handful of states still. Service was a minor concern as the nearest dealer is 30ish miles away. Was hoping it wouldn't need THAT much service though.

2016 SEL TDI is the safe easy choice but I was (am) trying to make the Egolf work. It was different in a good way and that's probably worth a little something extra to me. The depreciation though is killer. You can already pick up used '15 SEL egolfs for $26-28k easily. Possibly less. Which would be an option if I didn't want that darn '16 new radio so bad! ;)

AWay said:
The depreciation though is killer. You can already pick up used '15 SEL egolfs for $26-28k easily. Possibly less. Which would be an option if I didn't want that darn '16 new radio so bad! ;)

One reason the depreciation is so bad is due to the tax credits. You are really starting with a approx $20K car that will be worth $10-12K in 3 years. This is pretty typical of a regular car.

For the right person electric cars are a great fit. They are discounted, inexpensive to operate and maintain. The current crop has to fit into you lifestyle, i.e commuter car, 2nd car etc.

True enough, although probably closer to $25k no? At least here with $7,500 Fed (if you can use it all) and $2,000 PA state incentives. Call it 35k --> $25k new price.

But I surely understand what you mean.

AWay said:
True enough, although probably closer to $25k no? At least here with $7,500 Fed (if you can use it all) and $2,000 PA state incentives. Call it 35k --> $25k new price.

But I surely understand what you mean.
Dealer selling prices for 2015 SEL leases are very close to $30,000 in California. State and federal incentives total $10,000 here also. The only gotcha is 7.5% to 10% sales taxes depending on city and county.

Back