Charging Station Questionnaire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyclegg

My name is Joseph Clegg, a senior at Texas A&M University. For the summer, I am doing a research internship with the Texas A&M Energy Institute. My research objectives are to learn about EV drivers’ attitude and preferences in terms of using public charging stations and to utilize collected information to optimize the location of charging stations, numbers, and types of chargers at public charging locations.

As a part of data collection, I prepared questionnaires to survey current EV drivers. The results of the questionnaire will be kept in a statistical form and responses collected will remain anonymous. The questionnaire will take less than 5 minutes to complete and your help is greatly appreciated.

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TamuEvSurvey

Cross-posting the same thing in multiple sub-forums is bad form. Please don't do that.

I did take your survey and have one major complaint. It did not address home charging vs. public charging. I interpreted the entire survey to be about public charging. The answers you get from people who have at-home EV charging would be drastically different than the answers from people who do not. You should ask at the beginning of the survey about the participant's primary charging location - home / work / public - because people's treatment of public charging is very different if they don't have a guaranteed place to charge every day like a home or workplace.

I rarely charge away from home. Starting every day with a full charge is very convenient. I also rarely drive beyond the single charge range of my cars in a single day. However, I have used DC fast chargers on a few occasions to give me a little extra to get me home on busy errand days that include airport runs. I have also strategically charged at home in the middle of the day to give me enough range for afternoon travels. So far I have only planned one day trip that required en-route charging. I have a overnight trip coming up later this summer that will require 90% of the range each way. I don't really need en-route charging for this overnight trip, but I will do a fast charge en-route because if the charger at the destination is not working, it would be a massive inconvenience to get enough charge on a 120V outlet to make it to the next closest charger.

A couple of your questions are missing data point answer options. For example, I recharge for 2-3 hours, yet it was not a choice for an answer to the question, so since there was no right answer for my usage, I left the answer blank.

I stopped taking the survey. 57 questions in a claimed 5 minutes? A some questions about personal info I do not wish to share.

Back