Check your rear hatch for water!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schleppy

We had a couple of days of snow and rain recently. I opened my hatch for the first time and water POURED down the right hand side all over the interior. Not the normal amount that flows normally down the water channels, an amount so big that it soaked the parcel shelf, etc. And it was coming from inside the right side of the hatch itself. Not good. Taking it to the dealer to check it out.

I started digging around more, and pulled up the trunk mat and the trunk floor, exposing the last bit of carpet a spare tire would sit on. Nearly that whole piece of carpet is soaked. What the hell. Something is leaking, and badly.

Go check your hatches/trunks folks. I have the Muddy Buddy liner, and it showed no water at all. It's leaking in the sides and under the mats. Even if it looks dry on top, take it all out and double check.

Good luck!

Carefully check the trim around your hatch for any obstructions, even something as thin as a piece of paper.

I had a problem with water in my rear passenger wheel well and no other signs of water anywhere. I think it was caused by running a thin cable out the back hatch even though the hatch closed fine.

Yep, already done. The area is immaculate, and the seal looks flawless all around.

From other forums it sounds like the tail light on the hatches can have bad seals from the factory and leak badly. We'll see what they say when they look at the car tomorrow.

Turns out the drain hose on the back up camera module was disconnected, and that was the source of the leak. The worst part is that another VW dealership replaced the back up camera under warranty two weeks ago (long story). Apparently they didn't do a good job replacing that part. Unreal.

Back