Great review from Automobile Mag on 2015 e-Golf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell

Snippets of review taken from full review at http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1404-2015-volkswagen-e-golf-review/

The Volkswagen e-Golf, set to go on sale in October 2014 in the US, is Volkswagen's first electric vehicle that will be available in North America.

As a Golf, it is highly advanced and thoroughly refined; it just happens to be electric.

Neither dramatic nor thrilling -- VW quotes 10.4 seconds to 62 mph and a limited top speed of 87 mph -- the experience is nonetheless satisfying, especially in Germany, where 23 percent of electric power comes from renewable sources, and in Berlin, where there is nary a pothole. With 115 hp and 199 lb-ft of torque, electric propulsion delivers a substantial feeling, like a breakfast smoothie fortified by a sweet potato.

2015-volkswagen-e-golf-badge.jpg

2015-volkswagen-e-golf-front-three-quarters.jpg

2015-volkswagen-e-golf-front-three-quarters-view.jpg

2015 Volkswagen e-Golf
ON SALE Late October 2014
BASE PRICE $32,000 (est.)
MOTOR Permanent synchronous motor, 24.2 kWh battery
POWER 115 hp/85 kW
TORQUE 199 lb-ft
TRANSMISSION Single-speed
DRIVE Front-wheel
WHEELBASE 103.6 in.
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 167.4 x 70.8 x 57.2 in.
WEIGHT 3310 lb
0-60 MPH 10.3 sec. (est.)
TOP SPEED 87 mph

I was told by VW US that the unladen curb weight of the US version was 3090 lbs. Where is the 3310 lbs in the article coming from? A 220lb driver?

Also, is that $32000 a guess and after a 7500 tax credit? If not, could it sell that much cheaper in the US? VW hasn't stated a US price

Is the late October availability the author's guess?

Ron

cove3 said:
I was told by VW US that the unladen curb weight of the US version was 3090 lbs. Where is the 3310 lbs in the article coming from? A 220lb driver?

Also, is that $32000 a guess and after a 7500 tax credit? If not, could it sell that much cheaper in the US? VW hasn't stated a US price

Is the late October availability the author's guess?

Ron

The article doesn't cite a source, but since the article is discussing a test drive they took at an official VW test drive event at Tempelhof Airport in Berlin, I would assume they are citing information received directly from Volkswagen.

RE: the 200lb discrepency, perhaps one weight is a pre-production vehicle? Or maybe VW had changed something since the article was written in April 2014.

The $32,000 is an estimated price, there is no mention of the $7500 tax credit. I would assume that's what the reviewer feels the vehicle needs to be priced at in order to compete with currently available electric vehicles like the Nissan Leaf or BMW i3.

Just saw that the quoted weight of the e-Golf is 3,090 lbs according to a test drive report by Green Car Reports done just last week, but it was a euro-spec car as well

Back