Headlight Wiring Harness Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 2015 e-Golf SEL, and we have solved a problem with the headlights - or more specifically with the vertical angle control on the LED headlights. The headlight had a adjustment range error, and the lights are aimed down. The angle sensor of the car (which controls this) is in the back of the car, and the wiring harness for it had a water/moisture leak that caused the error.

I love the headlights - they are the best I have ever experienced. The angle control is very subtle, but I am sure it would be noticeable if it wasn't there - going up/down a slop, or if you have a full car, the headlights would not be as well aimed, as when only you are in the car on level ground.

You can see this angle control right after you turn on the car - the headlights go up and down and then settle at the right angle.

NeilBlanchard said:
We have a 2015 e-Golf SEL, and we have solved a problem with the headlights - or more specifically with the vertical angle control on the LED headlights. The headlight had a adjustment range error, and the lights are aimed down. The angle sensor of the car (which controls this) is in the back of the car, and the wiring harness for it had a water/moisture leak that caused the error.

I love the headlights - they are the best I have ever experienced. The angle control is very subtle, but I am sure it would be noticeable if it wasn't there - going up/down a slop, or if you have a full car, the headlights would not be as well aimed, as when only you are in the car on level ground.

You can see this angle control right after you turn on the car - the headlights go up and down and then settle at the right angle.
I'm assuming the dealer fixed it for you?

On my 2012 Leaf you could actually adjust the angle of the LED headlights via a dimmer-like switch on the dash; if you have people in the back seat for instance, you could adjust the lamps downward so you don't blind oncoming drivers. It might be a requirement in Europe for LED/HID lamps since they're so much brighter than halogen.

The RAV4 EV also has the dial to adjust the height of the low beam LED headlights. I don't think it's that they're brighter overall, they just have a very sharp line where small changes in tilt cause a huge change in brightness for oncoming drivers.

forbin404 said:
NeilBlanchard said:

I'm assuming the dealer fixed it for you?

Yes, this was a warranty repair. They first replaced the level sensing unit, but that was not the issue.

miimura said:
The RAV4 EV also has the dial to adjust the height of the low beam LED headlights. I don't think it's that they're brighter overall, they just have a very sharp line where small changes in tilt cause a huge change in brightness for oncoming drivers.

I can tell you that the LED headlamps of the eGolf SEL appear considerably brighter than the halogens of my base model Alltrack. Occasionally I'll get someone flashing their brights at me, thinking I left my high beams on, but they quickly get reminded that no I'm on low beam. It's why LED and especially HID headlights have to have those sharp cutoffs and why retrofitting HID (and sometimes LED) bulbs to halogen headlight housings often pisses off oncoming drivers:

1451000350688576429.png

Back